“Beautiful Place in the Keys” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast Package
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Daytona Beach, Florida
“Beautiful Place in the Keys”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

A weekend trip to celebrate a 16th and 50th birthdays. I read the reviews on tripadvisor prior to booking. Some reviews were positive and some were negative. My experience was great. We stayed in a lovely villa that I could just move into the villa. In fact, my daughters did not want to leave and wanted another day to stay. The staff was friendly and helpful. The pools were warm and my daughters really enjoyed them. We relaxed by the firepit at night. We didn't participate in many resort activities because they are expensive. We didn't dine in any of the restaurants and grills available on site. During meal times, we were on other keys sightseeing and doing activities.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (717)
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I had always wanted to go to the Florida Keys and a conference was a great excuse to go. The resort is very large, with condos, townhomes, and traditional hotel rooms, which is what I got for a very reasonable conference rate of $225. First off, there are no real beaches on the Keys because the Mangroves come right up to the water. This was a surprise because there is sea everywhere you look. The Keys are beautiful. The Keys have coral reefs for snorkling and scuba and fishing seems to be the main leisure activity. Hawks Cay has a man-made lagoon. There is also a marina for those interested in boating or have a boat. The resort had multiple heated pools including an adult-only one, thankfully, as there are tons of families at the resort. There are tennis courts and an underutilized sports center with basketball, ping pong, and volleyball (closes at 5pm). To be honest, I found out about all of these things just by chance because you don't get any information at check in about amenities. Also, there was no information in the room. There is no nightlife. They showed a kids movie one night. I heard that someone plays at the Tiki bar on the weekends. So if you don't drink like Hemingway, you will be bored to death. Even the lobby is boring.
My room was spacious with large tinted windows overlooking the driveway ("island-view", water view is more $). There was an empty mini fridge and coffee maker, big flat screen TV, comfortable beds, an uncomfortable desk chair, no easy chair, a big closet, and large tiled bathroom with very nice toiletries. Wifi internet was included in the Resort Fee, as was Valet parking, but to be honest, it was easier to park it yourself, the resort wasn't that crowded and you could park close in.
There is poolside food/drink service, albeit it slow, but it is nice to be served your frozen concoction and fries without having to get up. I ate dinner twice at the "nice" restaurant Alma, which was great. I was not holding out for great food, but it was surprisingly well crafted, beautifully presented, and well served. Nice wine list, too. Don't worry about the prices, you are on vacation. If you need to save money you can always find cheaper fried food elsewhere.

Room Tip: I heard that the condos facing west had a wonderful sunset view over the bay
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa with our 2 children. Our 14 month old was bitten all over his back, chest and arms by bed bugs. I was bitten a couple times. We are still waiting for them to reimburse us. The resort still charged us after we brought the bed bugs to the front desk. They should have never charged our card after the bed bugs were confirmed. We had to throw away our luggage and find a crappy set in Key West. I did 12-15 loads of laundry on vacation. I would never wish bed bugs on my worst enemy. The manager said they are working on taking care of the situation. He called a couple of times to see how are son was feeling.
Unfortunately, It seems like they are worried more about the work that needs to be done to their villa then what we had gone through on our "vacation".
Very overpriced. We paid $60 for a buffet breakfast. The service was not very good at the pool restaurant.
With all of that said, we will never stay there again.

West Sussex, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights. Whilst there is no doubt that the location is beautiful, I am sad to report that I found it to be overpriced with inconsistent standards of customer service.

In terms of accomodation, what we requested was a ground floor condo with wi-fi. What we were given was a two storey town house with no wi-fi, a broken telephone and three steps up onto the porch. The stairs inside the house were numerous and steep. Why my fixation with stairs? I am disabled, walk with a stick and use a wheelchair. Tried to get us moved, had to use my cell phone and after 4 calls being passed around I gave up. Finally encountered some great customer service and was moved, with the help of a really nice bellman, to a single floor property with stunning views. The accomodation was well looked after, great quality linens / towels and a very comfortable bed. Apparently, all the problems with the original unit were known and there was no answer provided about why we were allocated that unit if they knew there were problems. So look out if you are allocated sunset village.

Accessibility - they do have single floor units with lift access so please do ensure you ask for and get the proper accommodation. There are disabled parking spaces in the valet park section. However they are not enforced and I saw several spaces occupied by vehicles not displaying a badge. The valets really should enforce this.

Costs - if you want wi-fi, free valet and self parking, tram around the property and use of the pool, it will cost you $32 per night in resort charges (taxes inc). For me, at this standard of property, this is nothing short of a rip off. We paid $47 for two burgers and two small soft drinks when we arrived. Suffice to say we ate out for the rest of our stay.

Customer service - real mixed views on this. Some staff were really smiley and helpful but others gave the distinct impression that it was all too much bother. A special mention to the people in the Starbucks inside the hotel. It may have the brand but not the quality of service. Long wait for two smoothies, lots of grumbling about how to make it. Two people managed it in the end. Finally served up with a good old fashioned portion of attitude on the side.

I really wish that the standards of customer service and quality of the accomodation matched the beauty of the location. I am going to put Hawk Cay in the 'been there and done that category'. We will not be returning.

Room Tip: Double check your accomodation. Complain in person and straightaway if things are not right.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

As I sit in my $300+ per night Jr. Suite listening to the sounds of hammers, saws and other sounds of construction, I'm not sure which is the most annoying, the smell of fresh paint or the fact that I have asked four people now for and extra K Cup of coffee and still don't have it. Maybe they bogart the coffee in the room so you will go down to the Starbucks in the lobby or order a $7.00 luke warm pot from room service. In any event, we will not be back, nor can I recommend it to a friend.

Room Tip: Be very specific about what you want. Rooms overlooking the adult pool are much quieter.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Extremely nice & quiet setting, clean with all the amities you could ask for. No golf coarse but more then enough water and water sports. Deep Sea Fishing, Kayaking, Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, visiting the other "Keys",, Food/drink is excellent. "Key Largo" is 60 minutes one way and "Key West" is 60 minutes the other way. Several swimming pools plus beaches. If you like warm weather, great food, extremely pleasent staff along with just plain good relaxation, this is a place to go. We will be back.

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed in a 3 bedroom villa on the Harbor side for 1 week. Beautiful view and great location near the Indies club - our 4 kids had a blast spending their time playing on the pirate ship, swimming in the pool and playing different sports on their fields. You dont even need to leave the resort with so much fun on the property.

We will definitely return.

Our only complaint would be that it seemed like the kids movie night started earlier than the posted time... but luckily our kids were so tired from the full day at the resort that they didnt notice!

Room Tip: If you have a family spend time at the Indies club. They host different activities and prizes are of...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!