“Nice resort but lacking hospitality” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hawks Cay Resort

You added Hawks Cay Resort to your Saves list
Hawks Cay Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   61 Hawks Cay Boulevard, @ Hawks Cay Resort, Duck Key, FL 33050   |
Special Price
4th Night Free
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Sarasota, Florida
“Nice resort but lacking hospitality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The rooms and espically bathrooms are very nice. However do not try to check in early as the front desk does not want to give you an early check-in. We were traveling on business and the front desk put the room rate on my company's business account but tried to put taxes and resort fee ($70) on my personal card. I had to call my company and get it straightened out.
We asked 3 times if our room was ready ( this was a Tuesday in June ) and until I asked for a Manager I just got a run around. Most hotels check you in early with no issue if they have rooms available. The front desk staff were not friendly and had a lackadaisical attitude. As they are usually the first hotel you see I found this shocking for a resort this size.
Food is just okay and this is a family resort I do not think I would choose it for a business meeting or couples getaway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (848)
  • Polish first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I love the property, lots of activities and the various room types are great for a couple or a family.

The main building is beautiful and the pools have a great set up. A couple of things

-The facilities (all of them) seem too small for the amount of people that stay here. We went to the main pool at about 4pm (expecting it to be winding down) and we still couldn't find a proper lounge chair. The pool was PACKED with people (think the Caddy Pool Day in Caddy shack).

-The towel check out system. This is the first time I have ever stayed at a resort that required you to "check out" towels. You have to stand in line, fill out a form that is kept in a file-a-fax and you get charged $25 if you don't turn them back in. To turn them back in you must wait in another line and make sure they can find your card. The people in front of me had their card lost and had to stand there forever (with their kids in tow) while they searched all the cards. People don't pay $499 per night for a room to steal towels. Have some faith in your customers.

We will def come back to the keys and would come back to Hawks Cay but we we wouldn't eat here (see review of Ocean) and we would probably only use the public areas during non-peak times.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed here 3 nights (Sun-Tues) with friends and children. It was a pleasant stay in a 2 bedroom villa with a sunset view (5022). The view was wonderful and I would highly recommend a villa with this view! The porches were spacious and comfortable (this villa had three, not all villas do) however the 2 bedrooms were small and cramped! In the front room, you litterally had to climb over the bed to get out of the porch doors. The bathrooms were small but very clean. We had a clogged toilet that was addressed very quickly when I called the front desk. Downstairs, the kitchen and livingroom were much more spacious and also very clean. There is a full kitchen which we made good use of (after reading reviews about the restaurant, we didnt bother trying it). My one gripe with the kitchen was that it comes with a coffee maker but no coffee or filters! When you go to the store on-site to buy these items, the prices are outrageous! So we picked up some coffee & filters at a grocery store on Marathon instead. There was a pull out couch for the kids, although we had to request linens for it, they were not already in the room. No biggie, they came quickly and made up the bed for us upon request. The Wi-fi signal was weak and mostly unuseable for me in this villa. But there was a full washer/drier in the room with some complimentary detergent which we utilized and appreciated. The pool and lagoon are both very nice. The poolside bar is pricey but the drinks were good and service was pleasant. We all went on the snorkeling cruise to Coffins Patch and it was a wonderful experience, everyone enjoyed it. The staff was friendly and helpful. They even helped me with my own personal snorkeling gear when my clip that heald my snorkel up broke, they replaced it for me.They provided free bottled water for everyone, and we brought sandwhiches for the ride back. A few people got sea sick on the way back in, however the ride is not too long so it was still well worth it. Beware the hidden fuel surcharge on all of the cruises. Another benefit to this resort for us was location! It is only 15 min into Marathon, 30 minutes to Bahia Honda State Park (best beaches in the Keys) and an hour into Key West. Overall, it was a wonderful stay and I would absolutely come again! But next time, I'm packing coffee and filters, lol.

Room Tip: Sunset views are well worth it if you are staying in a villa! But bring your own coffee and filters...
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Our family vacations every year in the Keys, sometimes twice. We have stayed with close friends until our recent trip last week. We stayed at Hawk's Cay Resort. This is a beautiful resort. We had a lovely time. The property is beautiful and the pools and lagoon/beach are well maintained. Every employee we encountered was friendly and always had a big smile for us. Our teenagers are big into water sports. One enjoyed snorkeling in the protected lagoon for hours daily. We all enjoyed reef snorkeling and my oldest tried SNUBA with Dive Duck Key. Every experience was top rate. I felt very comfortable staying here alone with my children and letting them enjoy their vacation while I enjoyed mine by the adults only Tranquility Pool laying in a cabana!. The rooms are spacious and lovely and the beds were very luxurious. Everything you need is right there within a short walk or courtesy tram ride. You don't have to leave the resort if you don't want to. Marathon is only ten minutes away and Key West about an hour if you choose to venture out. I highly recommend Hawk's Cay as a family vacation spot. We will definitely be returning.

nor
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We got a deal on a 2 queen bed plus rollaway for 3 people for $199/night but pool area was VERY CROWDED nearly all day and well into evening-many small children during spring break. Pretty good food and svc at restaurants. Good location but no beach.

• Stayed April 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

For the price it's not really worth it. I'm very picky about hotels/resorts and I can honestly say it wasn't the best but if you have ever been to the Florida Keys most of the hotels are older. They tried to update this to have the resort feel. But, I think the cleaning could have been better. My daughter has allergies and stayed up the entire night from the dust. We ate at the restaurant by the pool and we felt it was overpriced with a limited selection on the lunch menu. Wedding eat off the resort campus at the Island Fish Company I. Which the food was decent and the fresh catch fish they served but the salad they offered with the meal was a joke! I would recommend eating off facility Hawk's Cay is over priced. Unless you don't want to leave and plan on staying on campus. We chose Hawks Cay because we are picky about cleansiness, and I don't feel it met my expectations. I'm not complaining but I like letting people know the truth about hotels. Just so that others are aware of what to expect. (One more thing! We have children and I would not recommend this hotel for couples or honeymooners only because of all the children screaming in the rooms as we walked through the halls, at the pool, the ones jumping upstairs on the floors and not to mention the one next door to us that provided an alarm service for us in the morning. I do have to inform you that we did travel in the summer when's schools were out.)

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
West Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed in a villa close by the resort. Everyone was very nice. We had some issues with housekeeping. We had 9 people in our family so we needed 9 towels. My father-in-law had to call more then once to get this matter resolved. Do NOT order the pizza that is delivered. The 16 inch pie was not 16 inches and it was burnt . 24$ for a 6 pack, wait a minute , a 5 pack of miller lite is just plain RIDICULOUS. Bring your own!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Duck Key
Cheeca Lodge & Spa
Cheeca Lodge & Spa
#9 of 20 in Islamorada
4.0 of 5 stars 2,149 reviews

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!