“Nice spot! Will return :)” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save 20% All Fall!
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Duck Key
PI, SC
“Nice spot! Will return :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

My family just returned from a 5 night stay at Hawks Cay. We were fortunate to get in on the "buy 4 nights, get 5th night free" deal. Let me start by saying we had great time and look forward to a return trip, but there are some negatives with this resort....so I will include the pros and cons in my review.

Pros- beautiful location and setting, loved being able to watch the dolphins, lagoon was nice and uncrowded while we were there (May 11-16), loved watching the boats come in with their fish!

Very convenient to charge EVERYTHING including our boat charter, dolphin swim, as well as all food and beverages to the room.... helped us keep up with the exact cost of our trip.

We rented a 2 bedroom single level marina area.(my favorite spot and where we will stay next time). The unit was pretty with a great view but could have been a little cleaner.

Food at beach grill was really good... loved the fish tacos! Food at Oceans was pretty good but not outstanding, but we did like the pizza a lot! We did not eat at Almas.

Enjoyed the dolphin connection but its not as extensive as other nearby places... but the trainers who worked with us were fun and we had a great experience.

CONS--- Service was slow everywhere! Oceans service was terrible.

Condo needed a thorough cleaning. it was "clean enough" but the cabinets were sticky and floors needed some deep cleaning.

Food was expensive... and there is a $29.00 per day service fee which supposedly did not include tips in the restaurants, but we noticed that they included at 18% tip on all food service.

No real beach but we live at the beach so the lagoon with the turquoise water was a nice change for us.

The fitness center was small... but the walking trails were great!

All in all, I would recommend Hawks Cay to family and friends :) It was the nicest place we saw although I hear Cheetah Lodge is wonderful.

Also, we ate in Islamorada a the Islamorada Fish Camp and LOVED that. Great setting and live music! ... Skip the Sunset Grill in Marathon. Our food was not good at all. A friend had recommended we stop at a locals spot on the way to Key Westfor lunch and I highly recommend the Geiger Key Marina and Grill if you just want simple good food in a very rustic, relaxed spot .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
HawksCayResort, Director of Marketing at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Lhurston,

Thank you for your thorough review of your recent stay with us. We are thrilled to have earned your loyalty and recommendation!

You've provided some great notes and tips related to a fun family stay. I have to agree with you - I love the single-unit villas that are located along Hawks Cay Marina. Having the large screened in deck is like having an extra room!

I apologize on behalf of our team for the disappointing service your received in our dining outlets, and for the inconsistency you experienced with the cleanliness of your Villa. Please know that I have shared your comments with both the Food & Beverage and Housekeeping teams so that they can be addressed appropriately.

Should you have any additional comments to share, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

2,617 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
Voorschoten, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Very nice resort, very tropical style, green, lots of flowers and trees, quick and friendly check-in in big spacious "clubhouse". Many beautiful pools, lots of sun beds, lots of towels available, big kids club and kids pool. We stayed in a Sanctuary villa, perfect size villa with good size splash pool, nice size bedrooms with good beds, bathrooms were not that big but were ok. Main reason for us to pick this resort was the Dolphin Connection and we loved it!
If I go back to the Keys in the future I will go back to this resort.

Room Tip: Sanctuary villa has 2 or 3 bedrooms and your own private pool. They also have other villas close to...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear NielsBos,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for sharing your experience with fellow travelers. We are so happy you enjoyed your vacation here.

We hope to welcome you back to the Florida Keys in the future.

Venice, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The setting is beautiful! We checked into our two bedroom villa with kitchen and were totally disappointed! The second bedroom was so small the bed was against wall and less then 3' clearance on other side. Bathroom tiny. Hard to turn around! Wife went to office next morning, as we were out fishing to explain dissatisfaction and Andrew said" What can we do to make you happy" And they did. Jennifer and Andrew moved us to a three bedroom villa with huge lanai. They really wanted us happy! They assisted in the move and my wife was happy!! We returned from fishing to a beautiful casa! It was wonderful.
Restaurants expensive but it is a resort. Corkage fee is $35.00. Ridiculous!
Saturday brought a FULL complex. Pools jammed but plenty of staff to service the masses!

The staff service was awesome. It is great to see a company who believes in customer service.

Room Tip: Check out the room dimensions before you book!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
HawksCayResort, Director of Marketing at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Skip T,

Thank you for your recent review of Hawks Cay. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience here, and that our level of service exceeded your expectations.

We hope to welcome you back to the Resort soon.

Delaware, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Do as little as You want or as much as you want. If you stay in the 2 story townhouses, it s very spacious and a full kitchen . Pools are beautiful, lagoon is very nice, dolphins are on site, great breakfast buffet. Get a townhouse with water view, sit on the covered back porch and relax. Nice place to ride bikes. Great kids club with lots of planned activities, ( pay extra).

Room Tip: I like the water view ones and it s nice not to be too far from main area of the hotel. If you are f...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
HawksCayResort, Director of Marketing at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Deb43015,

Thank you for your recent stay and for your review of Hawks Cay. As a former Ohioan myself, I know how crucial an escape to a tropical destination can be. I'm so glad that we provided you and your family with the fun, relaxing vacation you wanted.

You've shared some great points about our multi-bedroom villas. They really do provide you with enough privacy, as well as enough gathering space (including the fantastic porches) to make them a great choice, whether traveling with family or friends.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Drove up and two men raced to open the car doors for us, then the resort door. VERY Classy. Check in quick and crazy friendly. Then to Starbucks, again, crazy friendly. Even gave me a Dixie cup of coffee beans because I was soo tired and Loving the scent of the store! The Sanctuary Village looks like a movie set, soo pretty and neat and scenic. The house was KILLER. Exceeded Every expectation in Every way. We had a blast in our own pool and playing games in and out of house. Housekeeping took out our trash daily and offered towels, but we had plenty. When neighbors were noisy outside at night we just used a sound machine on our phone to block em out and slept great. Dinner at Ocean was Fantastic. We had several apps and seafood dishes. The scallops dish was a Huge hit, as was the shrimp flatbread. I am soo craving it right now! And the service was spectac. Fun music by fire pit at night. (But DON’T let your kid go near his stuff! My niece was soo excited about him and she walked over near his guitar and he snapped at her. She was frightened and sad for a while after. To the guy, Calm Down. You coulda asked her nicely to step back or not to touch or…) We never saw the dolphins in their area. Guess they were around the corner? Everything at resort was neat and clean and attractive. Plenty of towels and chairs. Plenty of places to sit with great views. The next morning we did the jet skis. They are soo fast! It was so scary and fun standing while riding! One thing I would suggest is that they tell people to bring swim goggles or a mask, or rent them. I would have paid big $ had the tour guides had em available in their jet ski glove box. It was kinda windy when we went, and you get Soaked from waves and being splashed. My eyes were on fire from salt water and sunscreen. My niece was 7 and she was miserable from being splashed and not being able to see. One of the guys leading the tour, Mr E, totally saved the day by taking her on his jet ski, even put his shirt on her to warm her, and talked about ? All I know is my niece was no longer crying and my sister got to take off with the rest of us and have a Blast. We saw a sunken boat and car and it was scary fun going under that bridge. And for the record, Mr E is about The Hottest guy in all of the Keys. Later we were drawing with crayons and my sister drew him on a jet ski with long flowing hair. I said, his hair didn’t look like that. And she said, well that’s how I remember him, as Fabio. Ha ha ha We had the hot dog, burger, fish tacos from Beach Grill for lunch. All was tasty. That night we visited the grocer for dinner over by the ice cream place, but Boar’s Head cheese/salami packets, chips, drinks, snacks still ran $100. Should have done Ocean again. Nothing was going to make us get into a car and leave the relaxing resort, except sunset. Read online that Sunset Villas had the best view on property for watching, but there’s a bridge in the way of your view. My niece wanted to see the sun dip down right into the ocean. Said she’d never seen a sunset without trees, buildings or houses in the way. So, we drove to the bridge, and there’s parking and lots of people fishing. We ran across the highway to the other side and sat on the rocks. We were the only ones on That side of the highway, and my niece got to watch the sun slip down into the ocean and disappear. Back at the resort we had Bolios ice cream. The Choco Addiction is THE best brownie ice cream Ever. We went back for seconds before checking out. We also did the Segway tour. First timers. It was super fun and our guide got some great pix of us. You get to see some famous people’s homes, fab ocean views and interesting and gorgeous landscaping. My family had The Best Spring Break weekend at Hawks Cay! To the person who encouraged their kid to steal our child’s pool toy at the Indie’s Club, karma will get you. And to Wanda Whitehouse for helping us to get a sunny pool, you Made the weekend. We can’t remember the last time we all laughed that hard. You should see our synchronized swimming video!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HawksCayResort, Director of Marketing at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear StewardessFL,

I had so much fun just reading your comments, I can only imagine how much fun you and your family had while here! Great pictures, and your stories really brought a smile to my face.

We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your family vacation at Hawks Cay. You've shared some fantastic tips about activities, the Sanctuary Village (I always say it looks like a set from the movie "The Truman Show"!), and some of our dining options (Chocolate Addiction ice cream...yum!).

I will insure that our whole team has the opportunity to review your comments, and I know that Wanda will appreciate your thanks.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Garner, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Spent my birthday weekend there. The front desk team is great. They were so welcoming when I arrived. Andrew, Stewart, Jenny, Jason, Amy Kate some of the front office team I interact with. The valet team remembered my name every time I came down to pick up my car. My room was ready and I got a complimentary upgrade. It was nice.
I loved having the different pools all over the resort. My favorite pool was the sunset pool. It was so relaxing. I went diving one day with the team from Dive duck key, they were great. So much fun spending the day with them. Defiantly coming back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear floridadiver101,

Thank you for choosing to spend such a special occasion with us. We're honored to have helped you celebrate your birthday, and are happy that we provided you with the fun trip you had hoped for.

I know that our front office team appreciates your thanks. They really are a great team! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Swartz Creek, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I chose this resort as our 25th wedding anniversary destination. We had an excellent experience here. The resort offers lots to do if that's what you are looking for in a vacation, but we really enjoyed to laid back quiet side of the resort - the adult pool was very relaxing. The room we had was clean and roomy (island view king). The staff was wonderful, very helpful and caring. The food was great! We had food and drink at the pool, also at Ocean's restaurant and the Alma and never had a complaint about any of it. We will for sure be going back and hope to take friends along! We spent several late evenings sitting at the Alma talking to both vacationers and some very nice local people - we felt right at home! We also must say if you go to the Alma, sit at the bar and ask for Cheryll, she is fabulous as a bartender and a person!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HawksCayResort, Director of Marketing at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear jandmssmith,

Thank you for choosing to spend such a special occasion with us, and we hope to be a part of many anniversary celebrations to come. We are so glad that you enjoyed your time at Hawks Cay.

We hope to see you again soon.

Jennifer.dinan@hawkscay.com

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!