“Sanctuary Village. Heaven.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Duck Key
FL
“Sanctuary Village. Heaven.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Drove up and two men raced to open the car doors for us, then the resort door. VERY Classy. Check in quick and crazy friendly. Then to Starbucks, again, crazy friendly. Even gave me a Dixie cup of coffee beans because I was soo tired and Loving the scent of the store! The Sanctuary Village looks like a movie set, soo pretty and neat and scenic. The house was KILLER. Exceeded Every expectation in Every way. We had a blast in our own pool and playing games in and out of house. Housekeeping took out our trash daily and offered towels, but we had plenty. When neighbors were noisy outside at night we just used a sound machine on our phone to block em out and slept great. Dinner at Ocean was Fantastic. We had several apps and seafood dishes. The scallops dish was a Huge hit, as was the shrimp flatbread. I am soo craving it right now! And the service was spectac. Fun music by fire pit at night. (But DON’T let your kid go near his stuff! My niece was soo excited about him and she walked over near his guitar and he snapped at her. She was frightened and sad for a while after. To the guy, Calm Down. You coulda asked her nicely to step back or not to touch or…) We never saw the dolphins in their area. Guess they were around the corner? Everything at resort was neat and clean and attractive. Plenty of towels and chairs. Plenty of places to sit with great views. The next morning we did the jet skis. They are soo fast! It was so scary and fun standing while riding! One thing I would suggest is that they tell people to bring swim goggles or a mask, or rent them. I would have paid big $ had the tour guides had em available in their jet ski glove box. It was kinda windy when we went, and you get Soaked from waves and being splashed. My eyes were on fire from salt water and sunscreen. My niece was 7 and she was miserable from being splashed and not being able to see. One of the guys leading the tour, Mr E, totally saved the day by taking her on his jet ski, even put his shirt on her to warm her, and talked about ? All I know is my niece was no longer crying and my sister got to take off with the rest of us and have a Blast. We saw a sunken boat and car and it was scary fun going under that bridge. And for the record, Mr E is about The Hottest guy in all of the Keys. Later we were drawing with crayons and my sister drew him on a jet ski with long flowing hair. I said, his hair didn’t look like that. And she said, well that’s how I remember him, as Fabio. Ha ha ha We had the hot dog, burger, fish tacos from Beach Grill for lunch. All was tasty. That night we visited the grocer for dinner over by the ice cream place, but Boar’s Head cheese/salami packets, chips, drinks, snacks still ran $100. Should have done Ocean again. Nothing was going to make us get into a car and leave the relaxing resort, except sunset. Read online that Sunset Villas had the best view on property for watching, but there’s a bridge in the way of your view. My niece wanted to see the sun dip down right into the ocean. Said she’d never seen a sunset without trees, buildings or houses in the way. So, we drove to the bridge, and there’s parking and lots of people fishing. We ran across the highway to the other side and sat on the rocks. We were the only ones on That side of the highway, and my niece got to watch the sun slip down into the ocean and disappear. Back at the resort we had Bolios ice cream. The Choco Addiction is THE best brownie ice cream Ever. We went back for seconds before checking out. We also did the Segway tour. First timers. It was super fun and our guide got some great pix of us. You get to see some famous people’s homes, fab ocean views and interesting and gorgeous landscaping. My family had The Best Spring Break weekend at Hawks Cay! To the person who encouraged their kid to steal our child’s pool toy at the Indie’s Club, karma will get you. And to Wanda Whitehouse for helping us to get a sunny pool, you Made the weekend. We can’t remember the last time we all laughed that hard. You should see our synchronized swimming video!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HawksCayResort, Director of Marketing at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear StewardessFL,

I had so much fun just reading your comments, I can only imagine how much fun you and your family had while here! Great pictures, and your stories really brought a smile to my face.

We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your family vacation at Hawks Cay. You've shared some fantastic tips about activities, the Sanctuary Village (I always say it looks like a set from the movie "The Truman Show"!), and some of our dining options (Chocolate Addiction ice cream...yum!).

I will insure that our whole team has the opportunity to review your comments, and I know that Wanda will appreciate your thanks.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

2,645 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
Garner, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Spent my birthday weekend there. The front desk team is great. They were so welcoming when I arrived. Andrew, Stewart, Jenny, Jason, Amy Kate some of the front office team I interact with. The valet team remembered my name every time I came down to pick up my car. My room was ready and I got a complimentary upgrade. It was nice.
I loved having the different pools all over the resort. My favorite pool was the sunset pool. It was so relaxing. I went diving one day with the team from Dive duck key, they were great. So much fun spending the day with them. Defiantly coming back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
HawksCayResort, Director of Marketing at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear floridadiver101,

Thank you for choosing to spend such a special occasion with us. We're honored to have helped you celebrate your birthday, and are happy that we provided you with the fun trip you had hoped for.

I know that our front office team appreciates your thanks. They really are a great team! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Jennifer.Dinan@hawkscay.com
Swartz Creek, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I chose this resort as our 25th wedding anniversary destination. We had an excellent experience here. The resort offers lots to do if that's what you are looking for in a vacation, but we really enjoyed to laid back quiet side of the resort - the adult pool was very relaxing. The room we had was clean and roomy (island view king). The staff was wonderful, very helpful and caring. The food was great! We had food and drink at the pool, also at Ocean's restaurant and the Alma and never had a complaint about any of it. We will for sure be going back and hope to take friends along! We spent several late evenings sitting at the Alma talking to both vacationers and some very nice local people - we felt right at home! We also must say if you go to the Alma, sit at the bar and ask for Cheryll, she is fabulous as a bartender and a person!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HawksCayResort, Director of Marketing at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear jandmssmith,

Thank you for choosing to spend such a special occasion with us, and we hope to be a part of many anniversary celebrations to come. We are so glad that you enjoyed your time at Hawks Cay.

We hope to see you again soon.

Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed for Christmas this year after trying to pick somewhere close to Miami to spend the holiday before we started having kids. That was our first mistake. Do not stay here if you are a single couple. It is loud, and rambunctious. The walls are paper thin... Kids screaming, doors shutting, toilets flushing.... We could even hear our neighbors peeing!!! The noise started as soon as the sun came up and calling the front desk provided no relief. We had the lanai room by the adult pool, but it made absolutely no difference....it was like being in a daycare.

The food at the pool bars was inedible, we ended up driving to Key West to have some adult fun and have some decent food. It was the highlight of our trip. There is absolutely nothing to do on Duck Key and the resort is much tinier than the photos lead you to believe and there is no activities for adults. There were never any lounge chairs at the pool and the cocktail service was nonexistent.
The servers and staff at the hotel were very nice, that was the one positive. There was live music near the fire pit which also provided some entertainment. The breakfast buffet was ok.

Relaxation, romance, and unwinding will not take place at this resort... Consider Cheeca Lodge or head to Key West for higher quality adult vacationing. We will not be returning.... Even when we have children.

Hope this helps!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear RKB041513,

Thank you for your review of your Christmas stay with us. I am so sorry that we were not able to provide you and your husband with the relaxing experience that you desired.

While Christmas and other holidays tend to be our busiest travel periods for families, and in fact Christmas week is the busiest week of the year, you'll find that Hawks Cay provides the wonderful, relaxing adult experience that you desired outside of those holiday time periods.

I hope that we'll have the opportunity to host you and your husband again in the future so that we can showcase the many adult-oriented activities, dining options and pure relaxation that we are able to provide.

Lakeland, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Arrived in a pouring down rainstorm so VERY happy that they had a covered valet entrance! Nice that valet parking is included with the daily resort fee. We stayed in the main hotel and had a pool view room. Nice updated room, but didn't have that "wow" factor for me. Normal hotel room furniture and decor. We are a couple in our 30's, no children. This is a family resort and you can tell they cater to it. We still had a great time, but probably will not return as we clearly did not fit their demographic and felt it the entire time we were there.
Pros: Dolphin program was great and we are so glad we did it. You can view the dolphins any time of day from viewing areas near their enclosure as well. Also did the jet ski tour and that was very fun. Live music at night by fire pit a great way to end the day. Drink service was attentive and good by pool and lagoon.
Cons: Caters to families and we got tired of watching kids run around. They do have an adult pool, but it is smaller and not convenient to where our room was located. Adult pool bar closes at 5 PM which also is a bummer. Gluten free dining options were poor and so we had to venture off property for almost all meals. Tram service was slow.
The florida keys are worth visiting but there are better options in this price point for couples to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kathy 3679,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for your detailed comments. It sounds like you enjoyed many of the amenities and activities that we have to offer, and I'm so glad you had a fun trip.

We hope that we'll have the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

This resort made a billing error in that they charged the wrong credit card. When i spoke to the front desk they said no problem, call this number and they will move the balance on to proper persons credit card. Then called the billing office to make the correction, they said nothing they could done by law since i had already checked out. Basically a bunch of excuses so as not to go through any trouble to correct their mistake.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Shayne E,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. I apologize for the billing error you encountered. Could you please contact me directly so that I can look into the issue and see if there is a way that we can correct the problem for you?

pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We spent several days here, and found it to meet our expectations, for the most part. We had one of the walk-out lanai rooms that faced the adult/quiet pool, and it was perfect. The pool itself was very relaxed and quiet, and at least for the time we were there, we had no issues with people reserving chairs and not using them, which was not the case at the other family pool, where this game was played without apparent policing by the hotel staff. The pools were well-maintained and the water was heated to a very comfortable level. The beach is not really a beach, of course, but it's usable. This is not your typical resort type of sandy beach, though. Not by a long shot.

Food choices are probably the most mediocre thing about this place. The smaller restaurant is nothing to write home about, and the larger restaurant is nothing more than a slightly more upscale Denny's. You'd be better served by driving to Marathon for dinner.

Poolside drink/food service is available, but is clearly not a high priority. Most of the time we had to take care of ourselves, as the service was spotty and unpredictable. This was surprising, given that the prices are not cheap. I've stayed at many other places with better poolside service.

Room Tip: Poolside lanai room facing the quiet adult pool is preferable if traveling without children.