“The Best Birthday Gift EVER!” 5 of 5 stars

Hawks Cay Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   61 Hawks Cay Boulevard, Duck Key, FL 33050   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Buffalo, New York
“The Best Birthday Gift EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

To celebrate my 70th birthday, my husband took me to Hawks Cay on Duck Key in the Florida Keys. Having never visited the Keys before, we thought we'd stay in the "middle" and take day trips to explore the rest.. I'm so glad we settled on Hawks Cay. From our arrival to the day we left we were treated like royalty. The resort itself had several beautiful pools, restaurants and superb grounds. Our room was beautiful and our balcony overlooked the adults only serenity pool. There were dolphins to interact with and several great spots and planned activities for children (which, since we don't have grandchildren, we could only enjoy as spectators).
I suppose that most resorts have similar amenities, but what made this one shine were the people. Jason, at the front desk, was our first encounter with the superb care we were to encounter.
When Bethany, the restaurant manager, learned it was my birthday, she seemed to decide we were the ONLY guests there and treated us as such. She was everywhere at once, busily overseeing everything! Yet, when she saw us, she ALWAYS stopped and chatted, making sure we were having a good time and were being taken care of.
When we went back to our room on different nights there were surprises waiting. Champagne and chocolate covered strawberries (the best chocolate and largest strawberries I've ever enjoyed) with a birthday note from Jason and the front desk staff. Another night a bottle of wine mysteriously placed with two wine glasses. One evening the restaurant created a large serving of fresh berries for my room.
Although we explored the Keys, we stayed close to the resort. My massage and pedicure were such a treat. Thank you Sarah and Eviline for the care you took to relax me and make my toes a great shade of bright pink!
All the restaurants served great food in a variety of areas. Outside we enjoyed informal dining while watching iguanas stroll through and seagulls lurking to steal a treat.
Alma, the premier dining place, was so very special. The bartender, Jesse, after discussing Heminway's likes, made a special Daiquiri with a splash of pineapple just for me. (Jesse - sorry if I gave away any secrets). He then created a special rum cocktail for me. It was finished with Jesse sprinkling nutmeg through a flame to top it off. We decided to call it "Almost a Sinner". Ask for it when you visit Hawks Cay. If they haven't put it on their drink menu, ask for Jesse. (I think I'm in love!).
My birthday dinner at Alma included lobster and wonderful service. The wait staff at Hawks Cay couldn't have been more attentive and knowledgeable. Paulo, Oscar, Donalene and so many more. Then the dessert! We ordered a light Passion Fruit sorbet to top off our wonderful meal. Out it came on a white oblong dish. "Happy Birthday" written in a most delicious chocolate fudge calligraphy, lit sparklers imbedded in the sorbet, and the staff singing "Happy Birthday" along with a most handsome man with such a beautiful voice!
I never felt so pampered and so special. I look forward to visiting again. Perhaps for my 75th?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Hawk's Cay is a great place for families, with facilities for every age group. We were also pleasantly surprised by the level of luxury in the resort, and the newly renovated restaurants were great. The restaurants had better food, much better decor, and similar prices to any restaurants in Marathon. Dolphins on-site are a very nice feature.

Room Tip: Hotel rooms are likely best. Villa 5070 right by the hotel is also good but villas have variety in t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Palm Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

The resort was not worth almost $400 night for a villa. The main building of the resort is beautiful & if you decide to go stay there...stay away from the villas!! The villa we had did have a great view but that is all. Where do I start...black dirt/ mold (wasn't sure!) on the ceiling by All of the air vents, had a musty smell, carpet was absolutely disgusting, bathroom shower had black mold, shower curtain was dirty, dishwasher had wine corks & crayons in it, beds were very uncomfortable, dried food on one of the pillows on the couch, a tassel decoration I guess had fallen down & instead of the staff fixing it it was placed on a table right under where it should be hung, curtins in the bedroom where falling down, both showers could not be running at the same time because the water would be freezing. Pool area was nice. Definetly more for families. We ate at the Mexican restaurant on property (Tio) which was good. As someone that travels to the keys 2-4 times a year I would never go back to this resort.

• Stayed February 2013
Lakeland, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Had an opportunity to spend 4 nights here in mid jan.It is an expensive place but you can avoid a lot if you are vigilant. we were traveling with another couple so it was to be a relaxing trip. The unit it's self was about 30 yrs old and had been redone several times. It is do for another --a couple of screens out,blinds broke and missing piece of flooring under door was evedient. The cooking knives were a good set but chipped. The most embrassing was having the chair collapse under me as I was setting at table. The response was very fast and most problems were taken care of very quickly. They have a couple of pools which are very nice and drinks were always handy, We passed their dolphin exp by and went down the street to dolphin research facility==which we enjoyed very much. The resort is well located being close to main land and still a 1 -1 1/2 hr from keywest which was great. Lots of good resturants within 20 min. All and all a nice place to visit. They provide go cart buses which go around resort --very handy

Room Tip: Two bed rm units had extreemly small bedrooms, solved problem by moving beds to 45deg angle. That wa...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I was traveling thru the keys and spent two nights at Hawks Cay Resort. I wish I spent more nights there. The place is very clean, well managed and just awesome. The rooms are very nicely furnished and the staff is very pleasant and professional. This is one of the nicest places I have stayed at.

Room Tip: Go here, you will enjoy it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kalamazoo, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Overall our experience at Hawks Cay was enjoyable. The resort itself is nice. The pool is clean and the amenities for children were plenty. That being said they are not free. Every activity at the children's center was between $10-$20, which was ok because they got to keep the t-shirts and things they made. It just adds up especially when you have more than one child. Still they had fun and it was worth it. The children's pool was so deep that our seven year old could not touch. The pirate pool was cold (we were their in November) and only had enough water to get to their ankles, so they lost interest quickly. The condo we stayed at was at Sunset Villas. The location was on the water and it was nice to wake up to and have coffee out there. The condos were over $350 a night, so keep that in mind. The condo had 2 bedrooms. The main bedroom had a lanai and was facing the water, great. The other bedroom had a a queen size bed and that is all that fit. They each had a bathroom. The bathrooms were similar nothing fancy. However the bathroom in the smaller bedroom had broken tile, the toilet paper holder was halfway out if the wall and the bathtub moved with you and squeaked. The blinds in the bedroom were broken and unable to pull up. We had a port a crib (2 nd one, first smelled like cat pee and the second was missing a pole) in there and you could not get to the closet. The air conditioning broke the first day we were there and it took a day to defrost before it would work. Ok that is the second floor. The first floor was as advertised. However there was no broom to sweep we had to get it from the front desk and return it there when we left. There was only one dishcloth, no dishwasher detergent, the washing machine had only a trickle of water so it took all day to do a load of laundry ( not exaggerated), only a small amount of cooking utensils and bare minimum of pots and pans. The trolley service was poor at best. I had waited for over 25 minutes and none showed up so I ended up walking to the conference area. Hawks Cay is located in a good area to get to key west or isla maroda all within an hour. The dolphin experience there was not feasible for our family so we had to go off the property for our kids to be able to get in the water with them. I do not plan to return there unless it is for business. There are many places in Florida that offer plenty of things to do for families and are less expensive.

Room Tip: I would ask for pictures of the particular room / condo you will be staying at to be emailed to you.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sioux Falls
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We spent a week at Hawks Cay Resort in one of the villas at Sancuary village. Had a couple maintenance issues upon check in but as soon as it was brought to their attention it was fixed in a matter of minutes and then you would get call from staff to assure that all was fixed to your satisfaction. All the staff was fantastic from cleaning to resort workers to front desk. We will return and talked to others at resort that had already stayed multiple times. A special thanks to Andrew this morning who helped us with our check out.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!