“Great Trip, Customer Service is...OK” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast Package
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Massachusetts
“Great Trip, Customer Service is...OK”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed here for three nights last week; we were on the 2nd floor with a view of the serenity pool which was quite nice. Since the last time we've stayed they've added a tiki hut serving drinks by the pool (we didn't use it, but it's a nice addition), and they expanded the gift shop to include a coffee bar serving Starbucks which is a welcome addition. They haven't yet opened their new "Ocean" restaurant so for dining we traveled outside the property all four days.

So let's see - overall we were happy with our stay. The grounds are impeccable, the pool areas are beautiful, I love the lobby, the rooms are a good size with a great shower, and my wife enjoyed using the spa while I worked out in the well-appointed gym. I also love the fact that if you buy a coffee you are allowed free refills whenever you want during the day, yay!

So what keeps this from a five-star review? Two things. Sadly, like the last time we stayed, I feel like the majority of the employees who work there aren't thrilled with working there. A couple of times during my stay I said "Good Morning!" to a random associate walking by me and got either a mumbled response or nothing. This wasn't the case for all employees, but like when I would walk into the lobby the valet attendants would sometimes open the door, sometimes not, and more times than not they wouldn't say anything to me. It got to the point where I stopped saying anything because I felt like I was upsetting them by saying hello. Second, the $29/day resort fee is crazy - if you're going to charge $29/day you should offer free bike rentals or something cool that would make it seem like a good deal. When you say "it includes all tipping" it means only valet and housekeeping, and (a) I never used valet as it's quicker to use self-park, and (b) my normal housekeeping tip is $3/day so what else, aside from wifi, does the $29 give me? It's just a fee to make the regular resort rate seem lower.

Aside from those two issues my wife and I enjoyed our stay and I'm sure we will be back in 2013. I'd only like to ask management to give their employees some customer service training because saying "Hello" "Good Afternoon" etc. can very easily turn a good experience into a great experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HawksCayResort, Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear pantone77,

Thank you for your recent stay and helpful comments. Our goal is always to provide an exceptional experience for our guests, and reviews such as yours are essential for us to continue to improve.

We are so glad to have been able to welcome you back for a return trip. It sounds like you and your wife had a relaxing winter escape fromt he cold of Massachusetts.

Your comments about the team energy level and overall cheer was appreciated and we addressed it as a team this week. We truly enjoy welcoming people to the Keys and to our island paradise, so we were all disappointed to hear that we are not communicating that well to our guests.

Regarding our resort fee, I'm sorry that this was not better communicated to you, but for the clarification of all guests the resort fee is meant to cover gratuities for guest services, valet, bell stand and housekeeping associates; wireless Internet access throughout the Resort; transportation throughout the Resort; self and valet parking; access to Indies Club and Calm Waters Fitness Center; local and toll free phone calls; and additional seasonal inclusions.

Thank you, again, for your stay and your feedback. I hope you'll join us again soon.

jennifer.dinan@hawkscay.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We stayed here for the weekend, it was a nice resort. The pool was very nice and heated (enough to not be cold, but not hot). Hot tub wasn't very hot. The breakfast buffet, while pricey, was very good. Staff all gave excellent service - doormen, front desk, wait staff. All very helpful. The room was clean and nice. Shower was large and had good water pressure. The lobby was beautiful. Other parts of the resort (the wing where our room was) could have used a coat of paint here and there but overall it was clean and well maintained. Starbucks coffee on site. The lagoon with dolphins was nice. Beautiful view and great location. We'll stay here again when we find a deal like this trip, but I wouldn't pay $300-$400/night. Overall, it's nice but pricey - but then again most of the keys is, and this is one of the nicer places I've stayed at in the keys.

Room Tip: The "regular" rooms have NO view - only a view of the back of the conference room building...
Dear klfl,

Thank you so much for your recent stay with us and for your feedback. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your weekend with us. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly as you plan your next trip to the Keys. We hope to see you again soon.

Sharon, Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My family (myself, husband, 12 yr old son and grandparents) booked a 2 bed, 2 1/2 bath villa, which stated on the website it had one queen in one bedrrom and 2 queens in the second (which we needed as we were 5 adult-sized people). When we arrived and went to our villa, we saw that it had only ONE bed in each room. NOT only that, the bedrooms & bathrooms were so small, that you actually had inch SIDEWAYS through the bathroom door to get into it. There was NO SPACE to walk around the beds. We immediately went to the front desk to say we needed 2 beds in one bedroom for 5 people. She said there was none available (WHAT!!! we booked 6 months ago!!!), that we could move to one the following day. So we grinned and beared it and my husband slept on the couch. The next day, after much hemming and hawing, they said we can move at 2pm. When 2pm came around, "Oh, sorry the other villa ALSO has only 2 beds"." (What! Thats the point of us moving!) After much yelling and speaking to the manager, they agreed to give us a regular hotel room free of charge in addition to the current villa. So myself, husband, and son went to the hotel room and my parents stayed in the villa. The room was nicely furnished and the bathroom was fabulous. However, evrything was damp (rung, towels, bedding). The place was in need of a major dehumidifier. But at least we all had a BED! The other complaint was that there were only 2 restaurants on the whole resort, a very, very expensive fancy restaurant and a mediocre mexican. Oh and you can have a burger if you wait an hour by the bar. We would not recommend saying at Haw's Cay.

Dear Stephanie B,

Thank you for the feedback from your recent stay. First, let me apologize for the disappointing experience you had with us. We pride ourselves on providing an exceptional guest experience, and I am so sorry that we were not able to do so for you.

It sounds like there may have been some confusion between the villa type that you believe was booked and the type that you received. You mention that you booked a 2 bedroom, 2.5 bath villa and that you received a villa with only 2 beds in it. I am not aware of any 2 bedroom, 2.5 bath villas that have only two beds, so it sounds like somehow there was an error either in what was booked or what was provided to you. I am so sorry that this caused a disruption to your vacation and was a source of such frustration. I hope that you'll contact me directly so that we can further address the issue.

We would appreciate the opportunity to earn you and your family's loyalty. I hope that we can connect soon.

Palmyra, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My wife and two sons (6 year old twins) stayed at the Hawk's Cay Resort for 5 days over Thanksgiving vacation. What a wonderful experience! The staff was very helpful and everything was nice and clean. Parking was easy (free valet parking). Loved the different choices of pools. My boys especially enjoyed the lagoon. The Indies kids club area was great for the kids with mini golf, basketball, two pools, an arcade, volleyball, and many other activities for the kids. Everyone made us feel very welcome. The lagoon was perfect for small children since there were no waves. We could let them swim all day and not worry about it. We stayed in a 2 queen guest room, which was normal size, but we did not spend much time in the room except at bedtime. The bathroom was very nice with a walk in shower with a bench (my wife loved it). The only cons would be the limited restaurant choices for dinner and the inflated price of everything on the resort, but this is to be expected on vacation. Also, bathroom did not have a fan/vent so everything steemed up quickly (and no window), not sure if that is a legal bathroom without a window or fan. Otherwise a great time and definitely would go back again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
HawksCayResort, Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Keith M,

Thank you for choosing to spend your Thanksgiving at Hawks Cay. We are so pleased to have been a part of what sounds like was a fantastic family experience. I agree, the Saltwater Lagoon is the ideal spot for young kids (and big babies, like me) who can run, splash and swim in calm ocean water free of waves.

As you noticed, we are adding an additional three meal a day restaurant, Ocean, adjacent to our Resort Pool. We look forward to showcasing this new dining option for our guests in just a couple of weeks. We hope you'll join us again in the future so that you and your family can experience it for yourselves.

Thank you for the feedback, and we'll see you again soon.

Parry Sound, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I was just there for a conference for six days. The first night some staff member let themselves into our room at 9:45 pm and started walking around. We were asleep and thought it was a break in. They fled after I shouted downstairs. I complained to management and they were not the least bit concerned and said 'that was probably housekeeping, they were working late last night'. I then slept with chairs propped against the doors. Something really wrong with their notion of safety.
We were then plagued by brutal service when we tried to eat there. Twice we waited more than an hour (yes an hour) for a sandwich at lunch. We then stopped eating there entirely.
Lovely location and facilities tainted by horrible customer service at many levels.

Room Tip: Choose a different location if you want to feel safe.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear JOhntraveller181742,

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize on behalf of our entire team for your recent experience with us. Safety of our guests and associates is our number one concern, and we pride ourselves on our consistent delivery of a safe environment. The incident you describe and reaction to it by a team members is shocking to me. There is no excuse for it. Please contact me directly so that we can further discuss your experience.

cleveland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Went to Hawks Cay for a long Thanksgiving weekend with family. We booked directly through the resort for a villa in sunset village. We were very excited to get out of the cold and enjoy some fun in the sun. We are very easy to please people who go with the flow; so was expecting some possible delays or crowded pools, especially being a holiday weekend. That would've been wonderful compared to what we had to put up with.

I must say check in Weds. afternoon was very smooth and quick. The rep. @ desk was very pleasant. We headed to our villa (which we opted for having two young children, 4 & 7, so that they have more room while in between activities). Villa looked clean on surface; so we dropped our bags and headed out to check out the resort. The landscape and resort itself seems to be well kept. Went to Tio's for dinner (was average at best). Kids were tired after long day of travel & put on pj's & feel asleep on top of bed. I went to go in @ 11 & tuck them in. I pulled down covers & swiped over the sheet & was horrified. It was covered with what appeared to be dead skin(husb. described to friends looked like instant mash potato flakes..yuck!!). Also there were some long black hairs(we are all blonde). Of course called front desk & was just offered new sheets but my kids were out already so we just kept on top for the night. When called back next day was offered new sheets again..said fine..just put them on myself....45 min later still nothing..was told someone could come in & do it then if we didn't mind...when at capacity can't guarantee housekeeping for 24 hrs..rep. was surprised someone told me @ 11 at nite that they could be there by 11 a.m. WHAT? Are you kidding me? Was done when we got back at 4. O....your feet will be black after walking around villa for a while....gross!!!

Also we weren't able to make resv. for Thanksgiving buffet or Alma..was told they were all booked. We were referred to Key Colony Inn down in Marathon. So we called and got a resv. there no problem....for 1/2 cost of what they were charging @ Cay we had a wonderful dinner. The owners & their staff @ Key Colony were great...recommend for casual dining.

Fri.(day 3) we head out to the Indies pool for the majority of the afternoon. We were ther whole time..playing with our kids in pool. We do not resv. chairs or leave our things & come back. When we went to leave @ 4...my husbands brand new & only pair of shoes he brought were gone...STOLEN!!!! Are you kidding me? Believe we know who did it(employee @ Indies) but had no proof...so didn't even bother trying. (keep an eye out for black & red Asics...lol). Stewart @ guest services was great...allowed for a pair of flip flops & would credit our account! Both he & Mike at Indies Grille were stand out employees to us....one if not only good thing to say about this place! The woman who braids hair down by the lagoon is wonderful too...very sweet!

Upon returning to our villa...no fresh towels...(day 3!!! come on!!). Understand water conservation but should have fresh towels every other day. So again, I call front desk as we had dinner resv. @ Alma for 6. Needless to say..no towels before we left. We ended up using our pool towels as I already had our bath towels on floor for housekeeping pick up. Towels were there after we returned from dinner.

I know this is very long winded but I feel people need to know all. I wish I would've taken heed to some of the bad reviews and gone elsewhere. For the amount of $$$$ you pay to stay here..luxury..no!!! Resort fee crazy too...supposed to be for housekeeping, valet, indies club & fitness center. For luxury resort & amount you pay....these things should be included. Just another way to nickel and dime your hard earned dollars!! Have no problem paying good money for a vacation but would expect to get what I'm paying for!

After all we had to deal with while here it was a little disappointing that a resort of this caliber didn"t have anyone to check & follow up on major issues such as filth & theft!! Busy or not...no excuse!
It was a very disappointing experience & even still my family tried to make the best of it & enjoyed our time together.

Obviously, I would not recommend this resort to any family or friends.....must be something better in area for same and actually get what you pay for!!

***if want fun place to go off resort & have great food..pool & sand pit with corn hole & projection screen to watch games....check out Sunset Grille****

Dear ClevelandNiblet,

Thank you for the detailed feedback of your Thanksgiving stay with us. On behalf of the entire team I want to sincerely apologize for your disapplointing stay. There is no excuse for the experience that you had with us. As a former Ohioan myself, I know how meaningful and restorative warm weather family vacations are. I am so sorry that we were not able to provide you with the exceptional vacation that you deserved.

Our team would appreciate the opportunity to learn more and address your stay further. I hope that you'll contact me so that we can connect directly.

Thank you, again, for taking the time to share your comments.

Lititz, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is our second visit to the Hawks Cay Resort and both experiences have been wonderful! Last year my family had a wonderful time! The resort is beautifully landscaped, inviting, friendly staff, clean rooms and heated pools. (not to forget the lagoon for fun snorkeling, kayaking or laying under the umbrellas). My family wanted to return to the Florida Keys this year and stay at the resort. Although I was a little leary about booking at the same place... (it couldn't possibly be as great the second time around).... IT WAS! Just a wonderful resort, close to any destination that you are interested in doing while visitng the keys.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!