“Beautiful Property, Service Sorely Lacking” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hawks Cay Resort

You added Hawks Cay Resort to your Saves list
Hawks Cay Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   61 Hawks Cay Boulevard, @ Hawks Cay Resort, Duck Key, FL 33050   |
Offers & Announcements
4th Night Free
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Massachusetts
“Beautiful Property, Service Sorely Lacking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

We're back from our second trip to Hawks Cay in two years and we were disappointed by our 5-night stay this time due to the abysmal service we experienced. We paid for a first floor lanai room that overlooked the lagoon, so we paid good money for our room as we were on the second floor the last time and thought it would be a nice treat to have one of the best rooms in the resort. If you search for my previous review you will see I gave our stay 5 stars and was positively glowing about the place. I'm going to focus more on what went wrong than what went right as you'll quickly see why this stay was disappointing, esp. given that they charge a $25/day resort fee that covers the gratuities to housekeeping and valet.

1. Housekeeping - on our first full day here, we came back to the room around 4pm and the room hadn't been made up yet. I called down to service, they apologized, and when we came back from dinner (8pm) the room had been cleaned. OK not a big deal, but on the second day we were out all day and came back at 9pm only to find that the room was never cleaned AGAIN. Plus, across the way from our room (3114) the two rooms were propped open by the door latches like housekeeping forget to close the doors after cleaning and then forgot to clean our room. I notified the front desk and 5mins later I heard someone close those two doors and I told them not to bother cleaning our room as it was too late for that and we found two towels we could use for the next day. We also found a water bottle under the bed on our first day so housekeeping doesn't do a thorough check when cleaning rooms before the next new guest.

2. On day four the light bulb above the toilet went off so I called the service number, they said they would sent someone from maintenance to fix it, we went out to dinner, and low and behold when we came back they hadn't changed the light. This was annoying as the toilet is in its own little room so you therefore had to keep the door open to get some light. At that time I was so frustrated I told my wife we would see if housekeeping noticed the light wasn't working and would have someone fix it. Nope, the light remained broken the remaining two days.

3. We gave up on valet after two days as they are very slow in retrieving cars. On our second day I gave my ticket to the valet person and (no kidding) ten minutes later we still didn't have our car, even though the valet lots are literally a 30 second walk away. I asked another valet for some assistance and then he got my car. Huh? What happened to the first valet? I never did get my claim ticket back either. On the third day I went to retrieve my car and there was only one valet and he was unloading a car. Where was everyone else? I went into the valet room and found someone unloading some water so I kindly asked for his assistance and he got my car. Very poor and we self-parked after that.

4. At breakfast on our second day I had to chase down the waiter for the bill and a refill of our coffee by walking around trying to find him as after he served our breakfast he never came back. We ate an off-site places after that. We also sat around the pool and lagoon a couple of days and the servers (you can order drinks and food) would ask us if we wanted anything the first time (we always ordered a drink) and then they never came back. Well I saw them walking around but they weren't interested in asking us if we wanted anything else.

Upon check-out I asked to speak to a manager to give them a summary of our experience and the front desk clerk was annoyed as he wanted me to tell him what happened and when I requested a manager he gave me "a look" and ultimately found a manager. I explained what happened and got a "Thanks for telling us, we'll let everyone know" and that was that. I'm not one to demand things but it would have been nice if they offered to refund us the $30/day upgrade charge for the room, or part of the $25/day resort fee seeing we didn't use valet or get housekeeping for half our stay, but nothing was offered. I understand they must put automatic gratuities on everything as those from outside the US aren't used to the tipping culture in America, but if you're going to charge a $25/day resort fee and automatically put 18% on everything else, you better provide excellent service.

So, I give the property five stars as it's still beautiful (beautiful grounds, excellent fitness center, two clean and big pools, a really neat lagoon you can swim in, etc.) but one star for the service which equates in my mind to a average of three stars.

I'm going to send this note to Hawks Cay management as well.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (817)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

Before choosing this resort I did a lot of research and read a lot of reviews, Hawks Cay did not disappoint. The grounds, pools and rooms are beautiful and very clean. The staff was helpful and very polite, we actually compared the service to the rest of the places we stayed on our 10 day vacation and by far they ranked high.
Thank you Hawks Cay for making the first part of our vacation a relaxing and memorable one.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

Nice resort with lots of fun for kids. Great location midway between Miami and Key West. One of the few family friendly places in the region. Live dolphins. Lots of swimming options from pool to the circular beach area. Also a quiet area for adults only. Good food. Nice rooms. All in all a really nice place

Meredith, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

Just back from a holiday get -a-way. Views are spectacular. Every single staff member was courteous and friendly. Rooms very clean. Lots to do!

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

This was a last minute change to our plan as our original booking had no room for us. After driving past that resort we were glad they were overbooked. We liked our stay here and it was beautiful. But for us it just wasn't our type of holiday location. We found it naff, forced and like a military base. It is seriously lacking in the things to do department. If I had a family I would be furious to pay the resort fee and then it appears you have to pay for everything. A place to relax but unless you want to pay a fortune for average food, take your own and cook!

One good point, you cannot fault the scenery! For that I would go back.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Cartersville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

Our family stayed at Hawks Cay over the Thanksgiving holiday. Everyone agreed that it was the best vacation we have had in a LONG time! The location of Hawks Cay is perfect and the resort itself is fabulous! We stayed in a waterview room overlooking the pool and lagoon-fantastic view! The room was very well appointed and kept tidy each day. The main thing that we loved so much about the resort was the customer service. EVERYONE was very nice-so eager and helpful. My children loved the activities and Fith kept them involved and entertained! My husband ran in the Turkey Trot and came in 3rd place and 1st place in a pie eating contest. Also, the Dolphin Connection is awesome!

So as you can see, we had a blast and plan to come back next year and the next year...

Ringgold, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

My husband, daughter and I stayed in this super luxurious resort for four wonderful days. The room was amazingly comfortable, and large.Even though we settled on an island view to save some money, the views were amazing. The staff was extremely friendly and always helpful. We had a blast sitting by the pool every day while our daughter enjoyed the many activities planned by the resort. The Tranquility Area afforded us a wonderful reprieve from the day to day grind, and we look forward to returning again next year. We enjoyed the Dolphin Experience, and the beautiful lagoon while being served delicious frozen cocktails by the friendly wait staff who had even gone so far as to learn our names and drinks preferences within two days. Although the food was a little expensive, it was satisfying. Tom's Harbour House was the best dining all weekend with excellent conch fritters. I could go on for days about how great everything was, but I will sum it up in one last sentence. I have no desire to vacation anywhere else ever again.

Room Tip: Sign up for IPrefer Rewards to receive a room upgrade from Island View to Pool, Lagoon or Ocean View...