“Excellent Resort, Especially for Families” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Save 20% All Fall!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Bucks County, PA
“Excellent Resort, Especially for Families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I was with a friend on a fishing trip and we shared a spacious and well-appointed room with two queen beds. Very comfortable beds - we slept soundly. The hotel sits on a somewhat crowded key where there are lots of activities. The resort is very kid-friendly with a lot of facilities and activities for a great family vacation. Although I wasn't with my family, I still found it to be a nice place for adults. There's a separate kid-free pool area, a couple of nice restaurants, a spa, and lots to do for grown-ups. Not exactly an intimate and romantic place, but if you have an active lifestyle and enjoy the ocean, you'd probably like this resort. I thought the price we paid was very reasonable for a resort of this caliber - I paid about 1/4 of what I paid for a room at a very upscale resort on Summerland Key and 1/2 of what I paid at Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada last year. Got much more for the money at Hawks Cay and will probably stay there again next year.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
djoseph_hcr, Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
Dear Streamborne,

Thank you for your wonderful remarks. We like to think that Hawks Cay provides affordable luxury for a variety of guests. Whether you are here for a conference or your annual family vacation, we offer a variety of activities and lodging options. Our ideal location makes day trips to Key West a manageable reality. We hope your travels bring you back this way again.

Dominique Joseph
dominique.joseph@hawkscay.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
Katonah, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This hotel/resort was a wonderful place to spend a few days with or without the kids! There was a beautiful pool/ lagoon area with lots of activities going on throughout the day, all which were a great distraction from the intense heat. The room was clean and comfortable for four of us (2 adults and 2 kids) and every amenity was provided. There are lots of great seafood restaurants in the area, but the food at the hotel was very good as well.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Went here in April 2011 for a long weekend. It was nice to lounge by the adults only pool during the day. Umbrellas were scarce though and you could not find shade unless you go to the pool early. People reserve chairs and umbrellas with towels before they go to breakfast - not cool. Like the water coolers for fresh water. Spa was great. Breakfast buffet was overpriced and slow service for beverages. Pool side service was terrible and we were ignored even when we asked for menus no one came back to take our order so we had to leave and go to the grill. Seems like a nice place for families with kids' activities. Rooms are nice and comfortable with large bathrooms. Our room overlooked the firepit with nightly entertainment. This could be a plus or a minus. We were there for strict R&R, so would have preferred not to be by the loud (bad) music. The front desk should have notified us of this prior to check-in. Otherwise some folks may like having the music outside their balcony. But why not get good local acoustic musicians instead of the terrible electric cover bands? Overall a decent place to get away for 3-4 days if you are adults-only, but not a luxury resort if that is what you are looking for.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from elevators
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Hypoluxo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband and I recently made a long weekend getaway to Hawks Cay for a belated B'day celebration. The Resort was absolutely beautiful and the service flawless, very kind and genuine, but relaxed which was nice as it made you feel very comfortable. We loved the fact that they have a separate pool for adults which was perfect for relaxing. On our last day we swam with Dolphins which was amazing. A great getaway and a place we would definiteyly love to go back to.

Room Tip: The villas are awesome!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

We stayed in the Sunset Villas. Very small, not that clean. No maid service. If you order room service you have to pick it up yourself in the main lobby of hotel. We were in last set of Villas on property so not convenient at all....and they still charged 18% gratuity! The best place for lunch is at the Duck Key Marina....Deep Drop Deli. In walking distance. Franks Grill in Marathon is outstanding. Fabulous food! Reservation is recommended.

• Stayed April 2011
HawksCayResort, Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
Dear Knoll104,

Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent stay at Hawks Cay. I'm sorry that your stay in Sunset Village did not meet expectations. I believe one of the best features of our villas is that you are able to select the location, or Village, and size of unit that works best for you. As a tip for future stays or other travelers, check out the resort map and description of each village on our website. They are all fantastic, but each has it's own benefits. Many guests prefer the Sunset Village because it has beautiful views and is in close proximity to the Marina, Indies Club, Calm Water Spa and Sunset Pool. My personal favorite is the Marina Village, because it's close to the ice cream shop!

We are pleased to provided daily trash service for each villa, as well as full housekeeping service on the fourth day of a stay in our Hawks Cay Villas. We try to communicate this as best we can via our website, reservations agents, and confirmation emails and I apologize that this was not the case for you.

I will absolutely look into the gratuity charged on the food you picked up at the hotel. While I realize this does not help to improve your recent stay, we now have delivery service for all villas with a menu that includes gourmet pizza, salads and beverages.

Great restaurant recommendations, and good tip about making reservations at Frank's. It's a small restaurant, so it fills up quickly!

Please contact me directly if I can assist you in any way. Thank you, again, for your feedback.

Jennifer Dinan
jennifer.dinan@hawkscay.com
Ormond Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

We spent 4 nights in a villa in the Sancuary section. The villa provided enough space for our family of 2 adults, 2 teens and 1 preteen. The private pool at our villa was a big hit with our kids. The kitchen was stocked with all we needed to occasionally eat at our villa. The property was beautiful. The large resort pool and lagoon were very nice. We rented bikes and explored the key. At $10 for 2 hours, the price was fair. The prices at the marina were very high. We ended up going to Curry Hammock State Park, about 5 miles away, and renting kayaks. The price and scenery were superior to what was offered at Hawks Cay. We were disappointed by the drink service at the resort pool. It was very slow. We we also disappointed that the resort did not seem to recycle. We ended up taking our recycling to the transfer station a few miles away. All in all, I would recommend this resort, ane we are likely to return.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Greenacres, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

BEWARE! BEWARE! I booked it online on bookit.com which is the best place you can book a hotel best prices hands down. I saw pics and was excited we get to the hotel and it looked so magical, wonderful ambiance that I cannot argue about!! However first mistake, I went there half an hour early to check in and they couldn't find me in the system they asked me three times if I'm sure I booked it for this hotel and do I have a confirmation #. Well, Well Well good thing I printed out my receipt from my computer otherwise I would be toasted. So after they looked and looked and saw that it said I was booked they still couldn't find me so I was frustrated at that time. The lady told me to call bookit and see if they can fax something over. I was irate and said what will they need to fax over since I have confirmation right here. So after about 45 minutes she says she found me, when asked why they couldn't locate me and whose fault is this ,she kind of brushed me off and said our reservation dept found it it's because they didn't pushed it through the system yet since it wasn't my time to check in yet. Yes go figure! God forbid I come 30 minutes earlier to check in into MY hotel that I paid for. Between that fiasco I notice a little sign that says they need to hold $ 200 each day of the guests' stay for incidental fees and it will be taken off when checking out. I was furious I SAID what?!!! after all of this money I paid for this hotel now they want to charge 200/per day??!!! Clerk reassured me that they do not take it out they only hold it and it will not be taken out of my bank. So I paid 920$ for 5 days of stay now I have to pay an extra 200x 5 for incidental fee so you do the math!!!?? Yes $1000 extra for a trip 3 hrs away from my house!!!???? So I trusted her word about it's just an authorization hold and it will not be taken out of my acct.. well well well big mistake! I have chase and that $1000 was taken out my acct right away so hold authorization my butt!!!! SO $ 1,920.00 later we finally go in the room and it's pretty nice and comfy but definitely not worth my 1920$ I mean this is no Ritz Carlton... plus don't even get me started about the price of the food and their so called cocktails... Me and my husband only ordered breakfast once, 3 little pancakes and 3 croissant and price came up to $35!!!! Plus don't let me forget about $25/day automatic fee for valet parking and gratuity plus you still need to tip anyways what a joke!!! OMG i'm still getting so pissed about this nightmare...so now 3 days later guess what?? their so called "authorization hold" has finally been put back into my acct. Besides that this is a nice resort from inside out but their price is just ridiculous plus when I booked THEY never told me about their hidden 200$ fees bc if I knew I WOULD NEVER stay there. I'm writing to their headquarter as soon as I'm finish with this review!!!!! :-(

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
HawksCayResort, Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
Dear candianhaitian,

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback on your recent stay. I can tell how upset you are, and I truly apologize for the frustrations you encountered from what sounds like was a series of miscommunications.

I am, first of all, very glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and the Resort property. I hope that despite the issues described you still were able to relax and have fun during your stay.

I will be sure that we review the listings for Hawks Cay Resort on Bookit. As you can imagine, there are hundreds of online resources for booking travel these days, and since we don't typically have control over these third party sites, we do sometimes encounter issues with what is communicated via third party booking processes. At Hawks Cay, we offer a best price gaurantee, and this offers guests away to ensure that they are receiving exactly what is described and advertised. I hope that you'll contact me directly to let me know what name your reservation was under so that I can research and address your stay a bit further.

Regarding the $200 authorization that is required upon checkin, unfortunately the associate that explained this to you was only half right. I am so sorry that this error caused so much frustration. When guests use a credit card upon check-in, a $200 / day authorization is placed on this card. In the case of a credit card, this is only an authorization, not an actual charge. This is a common practice for resorts, allowing guests to charge all dining, activities and shopping done on our 60-acre resort directly to their room (reducing the need to carry cash or credit cards with you everywhere). When a debit card is used upon check-in (as it sounds like was the case with you) a $200 hold is placed directly on your bank account. Typically our associates should explain this very clearly, along with having the guest initial paperwork explaining as such, and I apologize that this was not done for you. If the $200 / day is not spent by the guest, we release the hold and it typically takes the bank 3-5 days to reflect the release of funds. Hopefully, at this point your bank account already shows any funds that were released; and I am so sorry that this was such a source of confusion and frustration.

One more point of clarification I'd like to make is regarding our $25/day daily resort fee. Again, we do our best to make this clear to our guests, but third party websites and booking agents aren't always able to be as clear prior to your arrival. The daily resort fee is meant to cover gratuity for all guest services and housekeeping associates (including bellmen and valet), all parking (self and valet), unlimited wireless interet access, unlimited access to the fitness club and the Indies Recreation Club. We try to eliminate the need for gratuity at most of our resort outlets by building an 18% gratuity into each food and beverage check (though you can raise or lower this amount on your check as you see fit). Again, I apologize that this was not well communicated.

I hope that you will contact me directly so that we can further research and address the issues you encountered. We work very hard to provide an exceptional experience and we unfortunately did not do so for you. We would welcome the opportunity to host you again and provide you with the experience that you deserve.

Thank you, again, for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.

Jennifer Dinan
jennifer.dinan@hawkscay.com

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!