“Good & Bad” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Duck Key Vacation Rentals to your Saves list
Duck Key Vacation Rentals
Duck Key Vacation Rentals
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   51 Hawks Cay Boulevard, @ Hawks Cay Resort, Duck Key, FL 33050   |
Michigan
“Good & Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

We stayed in the Marina Villas July 2-5th. The resort is very nice. The good was that we arrived at 7am and our villa was available. The villa was very nice overlookjng the marina, which was nice. The villa was very spacious w/2 bedrooms and a upper and lower deck and 2.5 baths. The problem was that everytime you set any kind of food or drinks out , there were swarms of little nat like bugs that appeared probably from little cracks. We didn't eat anything in the villa after that. The main pool was very nice. The saltwater lagoon was great. The one problem was that they use a cashless system so everything gets charged to your room. They put a large hold on your credit card on top of the 200 per night I knews about. We were only there 2 nights and still had a week of vacation in Orlando and the money wasn't released until we came home. Just be aware of this. There is not much to do outside of the resort unless you visit a beach or go to key west. Everything is very expensive. The place is nice, but I am not sure I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Stuart, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

We booked our stay 3 months ago along with another family. Both of us requested to be near each other so our boys could play and fish and hang out. Turns out they don't honor those requests. We arrived but our villa was not ready so the check-in clerk said she would call when it was. No call. Hubby finally got us a villa. First thing I noticed - very shabby. Not what I expected with the "million dollar rehab" a few years ago. (Glad I paid 1/2 price or I would have popped a cork.) Cracked tiles, scuffed walls, old electronics, dirty sofa and a broken spa pool on the patio. The bed ruffle was filthy in the master and the bed creaked so badly my hubby and I woke each other up when we rolled over. There were red fingerprint smudges on the bathroom door and something icky brown splattered on the wall behind the toilet you saw when you brushed your teeth. (Yes, I have pictures.) Then our friends arrived. They were put in a villa 10 buildings away. Not close to us. (theirs was much nicer than ours - and clean.) I went to the desk and complained about the location and the dirty villa/broken spa/noisy bed. Told they were at 99% occupancy and could do nothing for us. He said he would send housekeeping - 3 days later we checked out with no one showing up. He said - since each villa is individually owned he could do nothing about the bed and spa. If you are booked for villa #7029 Harbourside, make sure they clean it. The lagoon is smaller than it appears in the pictures. Kayaks are $10 per half hour to rent which is absolutely ridiculous. The staff will NOT allow you to bring food or beverages to the pool or lagoon but don't worry. You won't be able to get a lounge chair as the guests arriving early throw towels on a chair for each family member and never return to the chairs. The staff does nothing about it. (A staff member told me to go move the towels and take the chairs. I told that was their job - not mine.) People circle around for a chair, can't find one and leave. It would be far smarter to let the kids use the kayaks for free and charge $10 for lounge chairs for the day. That way people would actually use the chairs. Overall, HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT! If you want to stay at this resort (good for younger kids - my teen was bored as the "teen center" was a TOTAL BUST), book through homeaway.com or vrbo.com so you know what your villa will look like and you have someone to complain to who will make things right. It is not a bad place - just not anything like the pictures, overpriced unless you get a great deal and the staff is poor - except the doormen who were always there to smile, say hi and open the door. So I'm not totally "negative Nelly," the pools were nice (crowded) and the fitness center was well-appointed. Bring rafts and floats as they are allowed in the lagoon. Lots to do in the Keys so don't limit your stay to the resort.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

Our familys first trip to the Florida Keys and surrounding area, Perfect location in middle of Keys and the resort was fabulous. Especially the service, I can't say enough about how friendly and helpful they were to us. The only minor glitch is that the food options are not that extensive in the resort but nearby had many good choices and it was fun to travel around a bit. Minor is the key word here. We will return for sure.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

This was our treat before returning to Miami. We were fortunate to have a room on the second floor in the main hotel block overlooking the pool area. It was a view to die for. We had continental breakfast which we took on our terrace. It was good but expensive. I knocked down the rating for service because on the second morning, our breakfast had no plates, marmalade or butter.
We had a couple of lunches at the outdoor grill and again they were expensive but very good.
One quibble is this. The room rate includes a daily supplement of $20 to cover parking and it clearly states that tips on food and the bar are excluded....however.....when the bar bill or any bill arrives, an extra 18% has already been added on "for your convenience." Just be careful not to tip twice as we did on one occasion because we had overlooked the 18%.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Carlisle, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

I wanted to take some time to express our absolute delight in our latest vacation at Hawks Cay Resort in Duck Key, Florida. My fiancé and I were escaping a very stressful time in our lives and we needed a break and we were so lucky to have come across this resort. Our accommodations were amazing! Our bed was so comfortable and room so cozy and well appointed that it was hard to leave the room sometimes but once we did we were exposed to a team of courteous and friendly staff everywhere we would go on the resort. The servers, housekeeping, guest services and maintenance staff always greeted us with smiles and hellos and we never felt like we were imposing or asking too much. Two people, Justin and Jeff stand out most during our trip. They seemed to oversee the staff in some management capacity. They went over and beyond their call of duty to make sure we were happy and satisfied with all aspects of our stay. When we would see them mingling with the guests throughout the day, they would always make it a point to stop and say hello and ask how our stay had been and if there was anything they could do to make our stay better. I am a business owner myself and I was so impressed with the real heart felt customer service that I saw throughout the whole resort. You can tell that the managing team treats their staff with respect which we witnessed over and over again and that they truly care. This team approach came through in every person we met and reflected in their attitudes in a very positive way. The grounds were beautiful and always well maintained. Our room walked out onto the adult side of the resort, which was nice for us since we did not have our small children with us. However, the other side of the resort is very family friendly and we plan to take our 4 children under the age of 13 with us next time, which is great. The resort offers everything you need for both types of vacations. I am already planning our next trip to Hawks Cay as we speak. I only hope that my review will provide others the opportunity to experience what has truly been the best and most relaxing vacation I have ever had. Thanks for the opportunity to share.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

I stayed her during a very slow week in September, during the weekday the place seemed empty, not that this is necessarily a bad thing, by the way.
Rooms - The rooms were good actually, we had a poolside/oceanside second floor view. Ok my main beef, I HATE footboards, I'm tall and they had them on the beds. However, nice big tv, good beds, they had about 10 pillows on the beds and i would have traded all of them for two good ones. The bathroom was nice and a huge shower. Overall, good rooms.

They have three pools, a main pool where I spent most of my time and an adult only, no kids under 21 pool, which I never got to see. Bar service at the pool was great.

However, there was no REAL beach. They have a man made lagoon that they tell me water flows in and out of, but despite being in the keys and on the Atlantic Ocean side, they don't have any real beach. I thought this was a major disapointment.

There seemed to be a bit of a disconnection between one part of the hotel and the other, we went to one activity but when we got there, it was at the dock, they had no idea what we were talking about. They seemed pretty free with tacking on fees for things. For example they charged $20 for one kid program, so I didn't do it. I found a mistake on one of their handouts and they kept apologizing and i said, you don't have to apologize, just fix it and no one seemed to want to do that. I was expecting at a high end resort someone would say, oh my, thanks very much for pointing this out and make a great show of correcting it. Just one thing I found odd.

The location is also kinda nowhere. It's sort of half way between Islamorada, which has lots of bars and restaurants and Marathon, which has a few less. So it's kinda isolated. When we went out, most nights we went to Marathon and frankly, I was not blown away by my choices there.

We did one day of diving and it was ok, just ok. Next time I think i will head back to Key Largo. But, the staff overall was great. The property was beautiful, they have lots of condos and cottages to rent, fishing boats there, a good marina and a great nigh time fire pit.

one of the restaurants were closed for renovations and the other was sort of higher end so i never ate on property. I doubt I would have even if the other one was open.

Overall, it's a very nice resort. It's not cheap and not having a beach was big, however, if you want to just go and chill, it's very good.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

You'd better realize up front that these villas are mostly all individually owned, and the resort is NOT responsible for obnoxious drunken louts that might be renting next door to you. This was our experience. Round the clock disturbance with no accountability whatsoever. We called security and the police, but no one really seemed to have the authority to do anything about it. And because people from our party were seen talking to the police outside, we were harassed by the perpetrators till the morning we left. My friend was walking from our villa to the main resort, and got run off the road by one of our neighbor's SUVs! She made it back to the villa limping and bleeding all over the road. We pleaded with Hawk's Cay to find us another accommodation for the night, but they said that there was NO GENERAL MANAGER ON DUTY! And the buck got passed along from there. At 1am, we locked ourselves into the villa—concerned for ourselves but especially worried about the children in our party. What a nightmare. My elderly parents stayed at the main hotel on the property (thank goodness!) but they said that a dog in the room next to theirs barked half the night. Hotel staff admitted that there were numerous complaints, and that this sort of thing happened all the time, but there wasn't much that they could do. Basically, "get 'em in, get 'em out." No need to foster repeat business. THINK AGAIN before booking here!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Been to Duck Key Vacation Rentals? Share your experiences!