“Mediocre at best.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
“Mediocre at best.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My friends and family stayed at Hawks Cay Sunset villa this weekend. My friends have stayed here before and had had OK expiriences in the past. This time we were not so lucky.

We arrived at the resort a bit early and were told our room was not yet ready ( understandable, check in was at 4pm.) They took our information down and promised to call the minute the room was ready after 2 hours ( now 5:15 pm ) still no call. I went to the front desk to inquire about our room and had to wait another 20 minutes to get an answer and room keys. The front desk attendant was not in a cheerful mood and seemed bothered at my request to have an update on my room.

It was not all awful, our villa was nice and cozy, the backyard was by the water so it was nice and traquil. We later went to the pool area where the kids had a good time for the rest of the afternoon. The next morning we got ready to cook breakfast ( as we were told we would have full kitchen add on available, pots, pans etc.)
We did not. We had to call the front desk and have someone bring frying pans over in order to make breakfast this took about an hour.

We spent most of the day by the pool and decided to go off site for dinner as it was my best friends birthday and we wanted a nice meal on the beach. The following morning we woke up early to start to pack and I attempted to call the front desk in order to request a late check out. To my surprise our phone was out of service and I had to call using my cell phone which took me about 25 minutes to get a hold of a human operator to only have her transfer me to an empty front desk. She understood that I wanted to extend my stay and once I clarified I only needed a late check-out she further explained they were totally booked and this was not going to be possible.

Overall the customer service aspect of this stay was not great. The sunset was beautiful and the kids a had fun at the pool. I would research other places to stay at in the keys for my next vacation.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Stayed at Hawks Cay in February. Was promised a room with a water view. When we arrived, we were told that they had us booked in a "family" room with no view. Since we are a couple, not a family we asked to speak to management. The desk clerk kept going in the back and coming back with different prices for an " upgrade".
We did not consider this an upgrade since we were promised the water view upon booking. We ended up paying $80.00 more per night for a room we were originally promised. The room smelled of mold and the latch on the patio door was loose. Disappointing, considering the price that we paid. Will go back to Tranquility Bay next time. Won't be back.

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The picture of the property in the ad is not the actual 1969, second story unit we stayed in for 8 days. It took 45 minutes of contact with customer service to get the door lock to work. We had to stand on the balcony and fuss with that until they electronically reprogrammed the code.

The hot water heater did not work for 3+ days, over the Valentine's/President's Day holiday weekend. We were told there were no other units available. No one offered assistance of how to attend to basic personal hygiene. The weather was colder than usual - in the 60s so we did not take cold showers. Our plans of a romantic dinner dance in Key West on Sat and church on Sun was spoiled because we had people in and out and could not clean up with out hot water. We were not comfortable leaving our belongings alone in the unit with 2 plumbers, an electrician, a neighbor (who turned out to be the owner), the management representative , etc. in and out to repair the water heater even though we were assured that they were all bonded and it was okay.

The bedroom lamps and the shades had 1/4" of dirt/dust on them. The bathroom exhaust fan had dirt packed in it as did the grill of the space heater. There was 1/4" of dirt/dust on the face of the vanity between the drawers. The bath floor tile was dirty in the corners and around the edges.

There was dirt cobwebs hanging from the bedroom ceiling as well as cobwebs in the corner of the bedroom. There were tiny roaches hatching out every morning in the kitchen when I went to make coffee and there were bigger roaches walking across the TV in the bedroom and under the glass on the dresser at night when the lights were turned off. There was dirt on all the ceiling fan blades. There were stains on the carpet in front of the sofa and on the rubber strip molding that separates the tile from the carpet. Half of the screen door latch was missing so you could not secure the screen door. There was dirt smudges on the walls and on the switch plates, cupboards, etc. There was a mixer that was yellowed and looked as though it had never been cleaned and other miscellaneous kitchen tools such as plastic lids in addition to used and opened cooking supplies that were in the cupboard. There were elbows in wall outlets and cords running along some baseboards...with dust/dirt on them.

The water view was the maintenance/operations area of the marina so there was constant traffic that could be seen/heard from the balcony. The sounds of pumping gas, compressors to inflate tires, back up alarms from a forklift dumping metal poles into a pile were sounds that we heard. One day a worker in a service truck had his radio turned up so he could hear it while he worked outside his truck. At 6-7am, we were awakened by people talking and singing as they walked from the bus stop and cut through our parking lot, I assume to go to work at the resort up the way. There were parking spaces for each unit but if someone took your spot, you parked across the way.

We were refunded a portion of the days without hot water however, this will never happen to me again. I have traveled extensively in the US, Europe and Scandinavia and this is the worst experience I have ever had and the worst customer "service" that I have ever had. Very disappointing and never using Keys Caribbean again.

Room Tip: I would definitely talk to the management first and find out EXACTLY what unit you are renting befor...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2015

Brought the family down from Miami for a long weekend, It was great, We have rented from Keys Caribbean before and the service is great. Highly Recommend. Its about a 15 min drive to Marathon, for restaurants , groceries and pretty much anything you would need.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Brighton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2015

Awesome place to stay! Very clean and has everything you need! Been on several vacations to the keys and by far the cleanest we have ever stayed in! Very kid friendly also! My daughters absolutely loved it! They said they felt like they were at home! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2015

Pretty location, nice rooms and generally good service. However, main pool is really shallow, and very crowded, never enough chairs and at high noon it looks a bit like the Caddyshack pool. The grounds are really nice and we enjoyed our stay, but would be nicer in slower season.

Stayed February 2015
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2015

Visited here on a last minute booking through Expedia. Looked good on the site but I was not prepared for how well appointed the villas were! The entire resort is beautiful and the staff was incredibly attentive. Definitely want to return!

Stayed February 2015, traveled with family

Been to Village at Hawks Cay Villas by Keys Caribbean? Share your experiences!