“Hawks De-Cay!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
East Texas
“Hawks De-Cay!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Just don't go there! I arrived a day ahead of a business meeting and decided to spring for a Villa. Don't bother! The villa I was escorted to was in poor condition. The lamp shed fell off the lamp when I turned it on. The fan in the master didn't work. The furnishings looked worn. Carpet was dirty. The hook in the bathroom fell off when I touched it. The kitchen sink was missing some hardware. Not at all what I was expecting for what I was going to pay. I asked to be moved to the hotel and was moved to the first floor with a view of some golf carts. The manager made that decision which didn't say much for making things right. When I got to my room there was a ringing noise that would not go away. Maintenance came and determined it was the mini refrigerator. Hawk's Cay has been a nightmare and I haven't even gone to sleep! It took me all day to get here. Don't make the same mistake.

Room Tip: Don't bother coming here.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
KeysCaribbeanResorts, Guest Relations Manager at Village at Hawks Cay Villas by Keys Caribbean, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
We receive many complaints about the Hawks Cay Hotel; next time book directly with KeysCaribbean Resorts and enjoy your stay for 50% less than Hawks Cay Resort.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Rock Island, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

The villa was nice but needed some maintenance.. dirty carpet, broken drawer, closet door etc... was charged additional resort fees and a hold of 100.00 a day for incidental. Location was great and worked for use. Two couples stayed in this villa very comfortably.

• Stayed January 2014
Marathon, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Stayed first two nights of our honeymoon. Excellent room, couldn't have been more perfect. Our pool overlooked the larger pool. The room was spacious and comfortable. Especially loved the larger shower in the room. Adult pool was quiet with ample lounge chairs, a beautiful water view and service staff that is friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: Hotel room overlooking larger pool was quiet, romantic and picturesque.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Overall this place is awesome for families. VERY upset with Oceans New Years Eve buffet. Ripped off at $50 plus tax gratuity. That really soured us on our trip. Rent a car!!!! Many fine restaurants in the area. Beautiful state parks as well. Pirate pool so cute! Kids loved it!! Waitstaff at pool outstanding. Our villas had cleanliness issues. Staff very nice.

Room Tip: We stayed at sunset villas. Full kitchen and nice decks. We did not have good sunset views. Huge mar...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We rented a 2 br villa through KC. This is a very quiet and kids friendly community. We had no problem using the main resort pool and salt water lagoon and even ordered food/drink at pool side. We just paid by credit card instead of room key card. No questions asked.
I wish the furniture (especially the sofa bed) can be more comfortable though. Overall, I would recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Mid Florida, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Overall we had a Great trip with the exception we booked a Two Bed villa on a single floor only to be bumper (Up) they said ( they said a private pool and 3 bedrooms ) but when we got in the other Villa with a pool we were excited until ! The (1) Bedroom was downstairs with only one bed in it. The other rooms were upstairs. My Grandmother 90 stayed in that room and my mother 74 stayed on the couch. They are not able to climb stairs. My mother was not too happy with me.
I called the front desk and they said sorry it was the only room they had available. When I made the reservations I put this in the notes area and I even called twice over the next few weeks to make sure we will have a one level villa. The assured me EVERYTIME YES!

I reached out to the facility after the fact and have yet to hear back from them. I went and took a handful of water and wow it was a lot of Chlorine in this pool. We have a pool at home and this amount is what we use to SHOCK our pool

The Pool was un usable. My two kids jumped in and their lips began to burn right away. We called the front desk about the large amount of Chlorine in the pool and no one came. The next day we called again ( Thanksgiving ) so we did not expect anyone to come. But Friday after we called they still did not come.
Saturday the guys came to clean the pool and told me that was Normal there that they always keep a high level of Chlorine in the pool. Sad to say it is like bringing your kid to the ice cream store and only allowing him to look through the window.

I also disagree that staff will just come into your home when you are not there. My Mother was asleep on the couch and my Grandmother was in her room when my mother woke up and this large man was in the kitchen getting the trash bag. She was scared to death. This should not happen.

Beside those things the place was STUNNING ! The other pools we swam in and they did not have a level of smell like the one at the villa.

The food was PERFECT

The Staff was amazing.

I emailed the GM telling them of these issues and that we were looking for a place to come for Christmas and I challenged the GM to give me a reason to return to the same place to prove this was a fluke. But after 2 weeks I have yet to hear anything.

We have two kids and we are looking for a place to go time and time again in the keys. We have only been twice.

Any Ideas out their email me FamBurklew33@comcast.net

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Our Villa was amazing! When we walked in the door the décor alone was perfect. It is a shame that people don't thoroughly read when they are making reservations. It is very clear when you book that these villas are not part of the resort, however they are way more cost reasonable to stay in! Who needs the resort when you are in the Keys. Our villa had an amazing view out all of the windows it felt like a tropical paradise! It was stalk with everything we needed and was extremely nice, pool and all! We will be staying there again! We did not find one single thing to complain about and had the best vacation ever (except it was to short)!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Village at Hawks Cay Villas by Keys Caribbean? Share your experiences!