“Nice place with hidden fees” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Weekly Rates from $999*
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Rock Island, Illinois
“Nice place with hidden fees”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

The villa was nice but needed some maintenance.. dirty carpet, broken drawer, closet door etc... was charged additional resort fees and a hold of 100.00 a day for incidental. Location was great and worked for use. Two couples stayed in this villa very comfortably.

• Stayed January 2014

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Marathon, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Stayed first two nights of our honeymoon. Excellent room, couldn't have been more perfect. Our pool overlooked the larger pool. The room was spacious and comfortable. Especially loved the larger shower in the room. Adult pool was quiet with ample lounge chairs, a beautiful water view and service staff that is friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: Hotel room overlooking larger pool was quiet, romantic and picturesque.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Overall this place is awesome for families. VERY upset with Oceans New Years Eve buffet. Ripped off at $50 plus tax gratuity. That really soured us on our trip. Rent a car!!!! Many fine restaurants in the area. Beautiful state parks as well. Pirate pool so cute! Kids loved it!! Waitstaff at pool outstanding. Our villas had cleanliness issues. Staff very nice.

Room Tip: We stayed at sunset villas. Full kitchen and nice decks. We did not have good sunset views. Huge mar...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We rented a 2 br villa through KC. This is a very quiet and kids friendly community. We had no problem using the main resort pool and salt water lagoon and even ordered food/drink at pool side. We just paid by credit card instead of room key card. No questions asked.
I wish the furniture (especially the sofa bed) can be more comfortable though. Overall, I would recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Mid Florida, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Overall we had a Great trip with the exception we booked a Two Bed villa on a single floor only to be bumper (Up) they said ( they said a private pool and 3 bedrooms ) but when we got in the other Villa with a pool we were excited until ! The (1) Bedroom was downstairs with only one bed in it. The other rooms were upstairs. My Grandmother 90 stayed in that room and my mother 74 stayed on the couch. They are not able to climb stairs. My mother was not too happy with me.
I called the front desk and they said sorry it was the only room they had available. When I made the reservations I put this in the notes area and I even called twice over the next few weeks to make sure we will have a one level villa. The assured me EVERYTIME YES!

I reached out to the facility after the fact and have yet to hear back from them. I went and took a handful of water and wow it was a lot of Chlorine in this pool. We have a pool at home and this amount is what we use to SHOCK our pool

The Pool was un usable. My two kids jumped in and their lips began to burn right away. We called the front desk about the large amount of Chlorine in the pool and no one came. The next day we called again ( Thanksgiving ) so we did not expect anyone to come. But Friday after we called they still did not come.
Saturday the guys came to clean the pool and told me that was Normal there that they always keep a high level of Chlorine in the pool. Sad to say it is like bringing your kid to the ice cream store and only allowing him to look through the window.

I also disagree that staff will just come into your home when you are not there. My Mother was asleep on the couch and my Grandmother was in her room when my mother woke up and this large man was in the kitchen getting the trash bag. She was scared to death. This should not happen.

Beside those things the place was STUNNING ! The other pools we swam in and they did not have a level of smell like the one at the villa.

The food was PERFECT

The Staff was amazing.

I emailed the GM telling them of these issues and that we were looking for a place to come for Christmas and I challenged the GM to give me a reason to return to the same place to prove this was a fluke. But after 2 weeks I have yet to hear anything.

We have two kids and we are looking for a place to go time and time again in the keys. We have only been twice.

Any Ideas out their email me FamBurklew33@comcast.net

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Our Villa was amazing! When we walked in the door the décor alone was perfect. It is a shame that people don't thoroughly read when they are making reservations. It is very clear when you book that these villas are not part of the resort, however they are way more cost reasonable to stay in! Who needs the resort when you are in the Keys. Our villa had an amazing view out all of the windows it felt like a tropical paradise! It was stalk with everything we needed and was extremely nice, pool and all! We will be staying there again! We did not find one single thing to complain about and had the best vacation ever (except it was to short)!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I see that many reviews are confused about the condos vs. the resort at Hawks Key. The condo I rented through Keys Caribbean was not a hotel and should be in the rental section of tripadvisor, but it is in the hotel area of tripadvisor, which is confusing. Don't be confused: this is not part of the hotel. It is a rental. As a two-bedroom, two-floor duplex, the condo (Villa 7028) was great. I was a bit worried about renting a house rather than getting a hotel, but Keys Caribbean sent ample info in advance. When we needed to ask about the jets in the plunge pool, they responded quickly and helpfully. When we forgot a linen shirt, they had it ready to hand over when passed through from Key West back to Miami. Great service all round. The condo itself has a good layout upstairs with one room overlooking a lovely canal (watch the boats go by from your bed!) and the other overlooking a palm-covered lane. Each has a bathroom. The downstairs had a nice kitchen with dishwasher (no measuring cup! we used the blender to measure..then made pina coladas), bathroom, nice eating area and living room. It had flat screens, cable and WiFi. We used the sofabed (was short on linen). There is a very cute small courtyard outside with a small plunge pool overlooking the canal. Bring bug spray if you want to sit out at dusk, but it is a relaxing retreat. The property as a whole was very pleasant: it is quiet and family friendly. There are many nice boardwalks around the canals for walking or fishing and along the marina as well, where there is also a convenience store and an ice cream shop. I walked all around the property daily and felt very safe. There is a resort on the property, but I didn't expect to use it and so didn't even notice it at first. The condo is well located for exploring around Marathon. Two notes: one, you need a car to explore the middle keys. The mall (Publix, Kmart, Walgreens etc) is a few miles away and you can't walk to it. Places of interest such as the Turtle Hospital, Theater of the Sea, or Bahia Honda park are even farther, but that is what we came for. A second note: this is a very quiet, family-oriented development. If you are looking to party, this may not be it for you. As a laid-back rental, I thought it was a great location for the family, and we all agreed that we would be happy to return.

Room Tip: The villas overlooking the back canal with the plunge pools are quieter than the ones overlooking th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Village at Hawks Cay Villas by Keys Caribbean? Share your experiences!