“Noisy, in so many ways and very poor breakfast” 2 of 5 stars

SummerPlace Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   14047 Emerald Coast Parkway, Destin, FL 32541   |
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Destin
UK
“Noisy, in so many ways and very poor breakfast”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We asked for a quiet room, as we'd been travelling all day. We expected some traffic noise, given the location, but it was louder than I've ever experienced in a similar location, ie on a busy road. Upgraded windows would be a good idea. But on top of that, the hotel is right next to a go-kart racing track, which kept on going til about 10.30pm - so much for a restful evening after a long day's driving.

After the noise from the karts and traffic had started to die down, we were awoken by noises that sounded like power tools, or a dinosaur with a cold, but which we worked out were plumbing noises from other rooms flushing toilets.

Breakfast, described in the hotel's own publicity as "deluxe" or words to that effect, was standard "free" hotel breakfast, but with less choice than you find at the cheaper hotel chains - definitely nothing special.

We booked this place in a hurry and based on its Tripadvisor rating, which must be based on facilities we didn't use, as I don't think it is deserved for its rooms, location or breakfast.

Room Tip: At the back, away from the 98, and away from the go kart race track. It'll probably still be no...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
mistellelangen, General Manager at SummerPlace Inn, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
I am sorry that you did not have the restful vacation you had hoped for when staying at the SummerPlace Inn. We strive very hard to meet all our guests expectations - and sometimes we are unable to deliver the service and product our guests desire. I deeply regret that we seem to have failed you during your stay.

Mistelle Langen, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

As the general Manager of hotel, I can be very critical. My husband and I vacationed in Destin the year and stayed at the Summerplace Inn. You can not go wrong. Clean rooms, great staff and close to everything. Just a hop, skip and jump from the beach. Thank you for a great vacation Summerplace! We will be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to share about your experience at SummerPlace Inn. Knowing you manage other hotels and were so pleased with our service is the ultimate compliment to our hotel and team. We certainly hope we have the pleasure of taking care of you again!

Best Regards,
Biloxi, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

I am truly blown away after my recent stay at the SummerPlace. Normally I don't stay at independent hotels but I took a gamble walking in because of the outside. Wow am I glad I did! Cleanest room I've had in a long time and the staff was amazing. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the rooms were and the size!

• Stayed April 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have had the pleasure of staying here multiple times. The management and staff are always super friendly and go above and beyond. The free breakfast is more than what you get at most hotels and was very fresh. I love the two pools, the free wifi and the workout room. My room was comfortable and clean. I had a severe gall bladder attack in the hallway and the staff took such great care of me while the ambulance was on its way. The manager stayed by my side, along with other staff members to make sure I wasn't alone. This is one of the best places I have every stayed in, and not just including the Destin area. I would highly recommend this hotel over and over! Thank you to the staff for a wonderful job! Keep up the good work!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to share about your numerous experiences here at SummerPlace Inn! It was great to learn that you survived the gall bladder attack and surgery went well! We can't wait to see you again and let's hope there are no medical emergencies on your next visit!

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

First of all, don't pay more for an ocean view room - it is a joke! The main, highly trafficked, and very big road in destin runs right in front of the hotel, with buildings/hotels on the other side of the street, and then finally the beach. I could get a glimpse of the beach between buildings, but oh so not worth it, especially as it was so far away. Also, who wants to sit on their balcony next to a super busy road? Not me.

Hotel itself was average, breakfast was good, I enjoyed they had a hot item every day (biscuits and gravy one day, waffles the next). We drove to the beach both days we were here because the walk wouldn't have been feasible with beach chairs, an umbrella, our beach bags, and a cooler. If you walk to the beach I'd say its about a 10 minute walk. Next time I will pony up the cash and get a hotel right on the beach so I don't have to drive. Parking was fine though, plenty of spots at the beach just across the street.

Room Tip: Don't get an ocean view, waste of money
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
destin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Summerplace Inn is listed as one of the best places to stay in Destin. But I will have to disagree.

I will say the staff members are. You do get free parking, wifi and breakfast.

But there is a weird "covered up" moldy smell in the hallways and rooms. It is listed as beach front property. The beach is walking distance (5 min). And finally my major disappointment was the exercise facility. I like to have access to a gym when I travel. Their "gym" has 2 treadmills and that's it. Luckily, I was able to find a local 24 hour gym and pay a daily rate. But I definitely think it would be worth it to spend the extra money if you have it to stay "on the actual beach"

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

The toilet ran all night, door to outside slammed all night , heating/cooling system old and noisy. There is a carnival right next door that is noisy. The indoor pool was closed because someone was sick in it and the outside pool isn't heated. They use some God awful cover up spray in the hallways instead of just keeping things clean. Breakfast is a joke. Never again!

• Stayed April 2013
mistellelangen, General Manager at SummerPlace Inn, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for following up about your experience at SummerPlace Inn. I regret that you had so many frustrations during your stay. I understand your frustration with the pool being closed - however when a child (as in this instance) gets sick at the pool - it is for ever other guests safety that the pool is closed. We would never want to expose anyone to the potential germs that could be spread. We offer 2 pools and a jacuzzi for our guests use, and I regret that the indoor heated pool had to be closed - but luckily the outdoor pool was available on such a beautiful day as Sunday - and the jacuzzi as well. I will look into the spray you referred to in the hallways - however we don't typically use odor products in the hallway - so I will have to do some research on what you may have been smelling. All of our heating/cooling units are new and digital - so I'm not sure what you are referencing - but I will try to look into that. I also wish we had known that your toilet was running - as we would have been more than happy to fix this while you were here. If you don't mind I would appreciate you emailing me your information so that I can follow up on what room you were in so that future guests do not have this problem. Again, thank you for addressing your concerns.

summerplaceinn@pinnaclehm.com

Been to SummerPlace Inn? Share your experiences!