“Worst Management Ever Encountered” 1 of 5 stars

10 Harbor Boulevard, Destin, FL 32541   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #6 of 58 Specialty Lodging in Destin
Ohio
“Worst Management Ever Encountered”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

Some Hospitality Manager named JP needs to be fired. I called the front desk with a minor housekeeping request and was transfered to him since it could not be resolved. He thought he put me on hold and I heard hear him calling me some very inappropriate names. Then he gets back on the phone and acts real sweet and promises to "take care of it personally". Not surprisingly...nothing was done. Disgusted, I let the whole thing go vowing never to stay, or let anyone I know stay here again. WARNING! avoid this place. Location is the only thing it has going for it and there are plenty of other condos.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Korean first
St Louis MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

Room itself was very nice, parking in the garage was good but tight quartered to me. The Harborwalk was nice but very overpriced, as was all the food places there. If you do go Thursday is the fireworks show, very good. McQuires right across the street is AWESOME, get the $.18 bean soup, you wont regret it.

2nd day there had my $400 camera stolen from their private beach area. Was the end of the day on the 2nd to last shuttle to the hotel when I realized it was missing. Went back on the ferry and they had put up most of the chairs and claimed no one found it. Problem was there was only employees there when we left. The front desk was too bothered to even check the lost and found and on the next day when I asked they told me they would contact me if one came in. Loose money also disappeared twice from the room, wasn't much so didn't get too worked up but all the same it set the tone for what I would expect the remainder of my stay.

The wifi also was horrifically slow, but you always could upgrade for about $10 a day for a better connection. There was a pretty fair amount of construction going on around the hotel too.

I'd link some pictures.... If I had my camera...

Burleson, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

My recent one week stay at the Emerald Grande was fine. We booked a 2 bedroom, but received a gorgeous 2 bedroom with an additional bunk room. We were able to strech out a bit more and loved that. The kitchen was well stocked - there was a cheese grater, measuring cups and spoons and so forth. We loved having the washer and dryer. We washed beach clothing each day. We had a pool and harbor view room. Our internet access was fine and we never had any issues. We used the laptop in several rooms and on both patios. We did not notice any noise in any of the room and slept very well. The staff was outstanding and extremely helpful in navigating the hotel and providing additional laundry detergent and towels. One complaint - the maid service was not great. Our room was not vacuumed the entire stay. Nor were the kitchen surfaces cleaned.

Having family staying in the east tower while we were in the west tower was a huge pain. The hotel was laid out in a confusing manner. There were separate elevators for each tower and no easy access between towers. To access to the harbor walk, you had to "follow the blue feet" in the parking garage or walk to the pool area and board a different set of elevators. It took us several days to become acclimated to the process of navigating between towers and the harbor walk.

Beach access - I love to walk the beach in the early morning and late at night. The hotel does not have beach access. You are taken to a private beach via a shuttle boat from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. I was not able to enjoy the beach at sunrise or sunset as I normally do when on vacation. The shuttle does provide drinks at a cost and you can order lunch to be served on the beach. There are also bathroom facilities on the shuttle. The last day of our stay, two separate groups brought music players and we had dueling music which I did not care for, but is no fault of the hotel.

In spite of the superior accommodations, I would not stay at the Emerald Grande again due to the lack of beach access.

FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

Impotent staff: ever decision had to be run by a manager, only causing delay in getting my every request rejected or thrown back at me. These people take no initiative and move like molasses. There were a few employees who took it upon themselves to work with a little bit of dignity, but for the most part I doubt the rest of them even have a GED.

Toxic room fumes: a supposedly non-smoking room definitely smelled like smoke, as well as an odd combination of bleach and garlic. A representative never came to personally observe the conditions despite multiple promises to my inquiries.

Neighborhood: this is one of the best locations in Destin, just be ready to move somewhere else if you get treated bad, which will inevitably happen if you stay long enough. I got here back in June and wish I had stayed in a smaller hotel with better service.

Pool: dinky cesspool for children.

Gym: actually pretty good, but the elliptical machine moved oddly.

Maids: left a huge stack of extra towels everyday, left garbage bags around the room, took garbage cans away, never left shampoo! I didn't even know they had shampoo to give until I saw it on the maid's cart on the way to checkout!

One of the employees hit on my daughter in the elevator, that was the last straw. We left.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Jackson tn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

This resort has a lot of work to do. The room was great and very well done and room service was good. That is where the good stops though. The elevators have a mind of their own and they are aware of it but nobody did anything all week. The pool is way too small for this unit and they have about 3 umbrellas for the whole freaking pool. The "private beach" is a joke. It is a little cove with dirty bay water and nothing to be excited about.If you like a great beach, move on to somewhere else. It can be very noisy also with security doing nothing about it.

Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

We were treated like royalty from the time we arrived! The staff was very accommodating. We drove up during a very busy time. One of the concierge staff came out and carried our luggage for us.
The room was gorgeous! It was listed as a 2 bd on their website but including the bunk room, it was actually 3 bedrooms. The master bath had a fabulous shower and the jacuzzi tub was great. The 2nd bathroom had a lovely shower.
We had great views of the Pass and Harbor. Our family had not been to Destin in 20 years but we've decided that because of our fantastic stay at the Emerald Grande, this will become an annual summer trip.
We had no trouble with the wireless internet. I was able to use my laptop just as i do at home.

Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

The negatives first: WiFi does not work in the room. I could connect if I went out on the balcony. The place can be loud! Our room faced the pool and the harbor so we heard the bands from Crazy Lobster, Harry T's, and a wedding reception until midnight every night. If you want quiet, do not get a room that faces the pool. The elevators going to the harbor are slow and or out of order routinely.

The positives: The place is beautiful, clean, and has great access to the harbor area. Our room was fantastic with 2 balconies, and a super kitchen. The Emerald Grande restaurant in the pool area was better than any of the harbor walk restaurants that we'd tried earlier in the week.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Emerald Grande at HarborWalk Village? Share your experiences!