“An Old Favorite Gets Even Better!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #5 of 39 hotels in Destin
Atlanta, GA
“An Old Favorite Gets Even Better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I reviewed this hotel once before in 2011, I believe. I classified it as a new favorite because it was well kept, looked good both outside and inside, gave you access to the amenities of the Sandestin Beach Resort and was reasonably priced.

Last week a friend asked where she and her husband could go for their first anniversary. I suggested Destin, Florida (Sandestin in particular). While looking on the web for her, I spotted a great deal here at the Courtyard Sandestin location for about $78. Next thing I knew I had booked it, because I knew it was fantastic price.

Our friends stayed at the Residence Inn, which is across the parking lot, because they wanted the included breakfast.

Outside:
The grounds of the hotel and its sister, the Residence, Inn have always been well kept each time I visited. The building's exterior was up to snuff and I didn't see anything to cause concern. The parking lot is reasonably well lit at night, but rather small in size. As spring breakers started to arrive we had to park at the Residence Inn.

Inside:
Whoa! Awesome! The remodeled the lobby and it looks good! They eliminated the buffet breakfast area totally and opened up the lobby into three sections, from what I could see. One was a bright and colorful bistro area, with dark tables and cushioned seats and eye catching wall treatment. A restaurant several menu items, but I didn't look to see what they were. Plus they provide a starbucks like coffee service that I understand stays open all night. The other section was more comfort and reclined with more subdued colors, a big tv on the wall and a monitor on another wall that provided local information like weather and business information.
That last spot in the corner had very large computers and a printer setup for your business use and pleasure, there was no fee to use them. I printed up our boarding passes at the stations. Wifi in the lobby and room is free and reasonably strong, although not really fast enough for streaming.

Front Desk Staff:
Greeted us promptly when we walked into the place. They were very nice, professional and helpful.

Hallway:
The hallway and carpeting appeared to be very well maintained. The hallway was well lit, automatically makes my wife more comfortable.

Room:
Candidly I don't remember what the room looked like before. But I will say that the quality of the furniture (especially the dresser, tv, desk, computer combo combination combo) seem to be of good quality. No chips, damaged etc, stains or the like. The beds were comfortable, and although the bedding was sufficient, it looks like it needs to be replaced something more modern. I never walk on hotel carpet barefooted, although an examination of the one in my room showed no excessive wear or damage. The room had a nice golden color, which I always feels brightens up things.

There was one issue! Noise! We could clearly hear the family in the next room having themselves a good time. The kids were laughing loudly and the parents talking at a reasonable volume, but you felt almost as if they were in our room.

Bathroom: Reasonable size, definitely not large though. Fixtures, all worked, no falling wallpaper, it looks well maintained. I especially like one feature though. At the end of the tub is a glass or plexiglass type partition. It the shower curtains are closed, it does a good job of catching the shower water, instead of letting over the edge onto the floor, which happens most of the time when I take a shower. In this particular bathroom, behind the same partition appeared to be a ledge, which was large enough that a person with disabilities could sit on it and take their shower. I'm always excited by such things, since my mother likes to travel with me.

Location:
This property and the Resident Inn have access to Sandestin Resort, even though they are just outside of the resorts' gates. It means you can get to the beach, rent or use bikes, canoes and small watercraft that the resort provides. There is an Applebee's right in front of the hotel, a PF Chang's is about a five minute walk away, Publix grocery store in next to PF Chang's and you are about five minutes drive from a large discount mall.

Negatives:
1. No safe was in the room.
2. They had a chiller in the room, but it can't cool things as well as a mini-fridge.
3. I wish they had more parking, but there are other lots close by.
4. There is one elevator for each wing of the building, it can be a little bit of a wait.
5. I miss having a breakfast buffet. However, we go to the Hilton Sandestin for their breakfast and it is fantastic.

My favorite thing is that new lobby. It made me just want to come downstairs, relax in it with my tablet (they have an AC power bar) and watch the people coming in and out.

For the price, I think we got more than we paid for this time and this now a 'new favorite'.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

307 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

This hotel has the best front desk staff anyone could ask for. It is walking distance to the Baytown wharf. But the best thing is it allows you access to the resort beach which is wonderful. The rooms are big with a pretty view. The negatives are there is no microwave and the fridge is tiny. The linens need an update. There is no free breakfast or even free coffee.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Kennesaw
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Hubby and I stayed there this past weekend on a spur of the moment trip...we could not have been more pleased with the hotel, the amenities and the location...so close to everything. We particularly like the close proximity to the beach and the Baytowne Wharf. And as Marriott Rewards members (and a travel agent)...we love the Marriott product.
In fact, we had such a great time, that I just made a reservation to come back there this upcoming weekend to celebrate our ANNIVERSARY!!
Well done Courtyard.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

The courtyard was well designed and is in a very good location. I would recommend this Courtyard. The front desk personnel do a very good job. There are many restaurants within a few miles. I would recommend a room that faces the golf course.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SoCal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Close to everything on Highway 98. While most Courtyard by Marriott are fairly consistent throughout the United States, this location a bit nicer than the norm. I do not know when they had their last building update but this property is fresh and very clean.
Additionally, one enjoys access to Sandestin resort next door. Great walking and jogging paths. Beach access. Nice restaurants and shops in the pedestrian friendly center about two blocks east; easy walk or short drive.

Room Tip: Ask for room toward back of property away from Highway 98 if one likes to leave their balcony door o...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ashford, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We took a last minute trip to Destin on the January 18th to celebrate our 37th Anniversary. I booked the room online before I left home. When we got there and they found out it was our Anniversary, they upgraded our room to a suite at no additional charge. The room was WONDERFUL!! When we returned to our room from supper we found a note that had been slipped under the door. It was the sweetest note congratulationg us on our anniversary. Someone from the front desk wrote it, I'm sure. You can't ask for better service or nicer people than you will find at this motel!! We will stay there again!!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the King suite. It had 2 rooms with 2 sofas that made into beds. 6 people could have st...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Oris R, Manager at Courtyard Sandestin at Grand Boulevard, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Congratulating you both again on your 37th Wedding Anniversary! We appreciate your kind words and will most certainly share your comments with all our associates. We wish you many many more years of a beautiful marriage and hope you will come back to visit us soon.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you.
Anna Maria, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I say this after having stayed here a number of times over the past few years and twice since November 2012. This is one of the nicest and one of the best locations in the chain simply by being where it is in regard to resort, beach, eats and shopping.

Now, please let me qualify that with the fact I stay in off season and get the best rates then, a big part of my value equation here. If the prices paid were seasonal, I may have a different perspective overall due to price/value. Free parking and Internet add to the value and yes, you can grab a "Starbucks" in the lobby Bistro or FREE coffee over behind the wall next to the computer center, another nice to,have feature.

Rooms are nice, fitness club decent but use Sandestin for walks, runs, biking and nature seeing.

I will have to agree with some of the comments on the slowness of the elevators, something common at every Marriott Courtyard I have stayed in. Also, the accent and inexperience of some employees is somewhat annoying and this on more than me occasion. It should be noted that Destin is now full of foreigners who shack up in local condos together so hard to get around them. One other thing...and I even hesitate to bring it up....is that front desk staff should know the comings and goings of guests as they see them walking in and out numerous times and really, we do not need to be told hello and greeted six or seven times when going in and out the front door in a short,period of time.

Bistro,is only to be used for maybe a cocktail before heading out, a snack or drink but should not be confused with a gourmet place to eat. The snack shop off the front desk is a good place to get candy and such and pay double the price but it is convenient.

The GM did help us out a bit during a stay right before Christmas and we are thankful for that. Sometimes it took a few emails back to them to get a response but in the end all went well.

So, all things being equal and based on the price/value I have received here I find this location to be a very nice one for Marriott. At $159 and up I would begin to look at renting local condos or homes.

Room Tip: I choose high floor but you might not if slow elevators a concern. Also, they have two queen bed 1BR...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard Sandestin at Grand Boulevard? Share your experiences!