“Its worth the money” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 39 hotels in Destin
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Its worth the money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I recently stayed here for 3 nights and it was outstanding. I don't know how a pet friendly hotel is able to keep everything so clean, I did not see a single pet hair anywhere in the room. I was also impressed with the level of service. We switched from a single bedroom to a 2 bedroom suite after the first night, not only did the staff moved our luggage but to my amazement they actually setup the baby's play yard. I have every intention to stay here again next time we make the trip down to Sandestin.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

250 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

What a great place, wonderful staff. The breakfast was fantastic. You can not go wrong, the rooms were clean and beds were so comfortable. Full size kitchen. The grounds were wonderfu, the swimming pool and outdoor courtyard very relaxing.

Room Tip: Very nice room 2nd floor over looking the pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on a weekend trip to Destin. Hotel staff very nice and helpful. Room was very clean and comfortable. Everything looked recently new or remodeled. Believe it or not HDTV worked and plenty of channels were available. The weather was bad so we spent time in the room relaxing. I was really surprised with the free breakfast. Everything was orderly and not overcrowded. They actually had several staff members handling the breakfast area to replenish items and assist. Belgian waffles were great. I also noticed they did have basketball court and other activities outside.. There was also an Applebee's within walking distance. No beaches within walking distance. Hotel was great but I think kind of pricey, 220 + tax for king suite. However it was quiet and very clean.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

WARNING - BE SURE TO CALL THE HOTEL AND VERIFY THAT YOU ARE GETTING THE TYPE ROOM AND AMENITIES THAT YOU ARE EXPECTING UPON ARRIVAL.

I have stayed at Residence Inns across the country for many years; including the original property design with building clusters each housing 8 rooms including penthouse suites upstairs and the more modern, compact hotel style ones with interior hallways. It seems that with each new property comes smaller and more compact room layouts.

This property appeared to be relatively new; adjacent to a new shopping district that is only a couple of years old.

I booked what they refer to on their website as a ONE BEDROOM LARGER SUITE. Most Residence Inns call it a ONE BEDROOM so I made the mistake of "assuming" that this would be larger than a typical one bedroom; maybe a corner unit.

When we checked in, we were quite disappointed. The bedroom itself is VERY cramped. No dresser to put clothes away in drawers; just the stand that the TV sits on. Plus, there is BARELY enough room to walk between the end of the bed and the TV stand to get to the other side of the bed. I stubbed my toe several times walking back and forth.

The bed placement is awkward compared to the vanity bathroom area. There is no door to close off the vanity area from the bedroom so when lying in bed you face the vanity off to the side. If there are two of you and one is an early riser while the other one likes to sleep late, there is no way to avoid the vanity light shining into the eyes of the person in bed.

Thus, I find the LARGER room description VERY MISLEADING. Upon further review of their website and room descriptions I found where the STUDIO ROOM is the exact same 600 square feet as their ONE BEDROOM LARGER suite. The pictures of the Studio show an easy chair, in addition to the couch, where the one bedroom does not have an easy chair. The Studio also shows the normal placement of the kitchen table to seat 4 comfortably, whereas our kitchen table in the one bedroom had to be pushed up against the wall so 2 people had to sit side by side and face the wall. So, in reality, you have more room in the Study as the one bedroom loses some living space due to the wall and doorway built between the living and bedroom areas.

The next disappointment was NO OVEN in the kitchen even though the website lists its as fully furnished kitchen including OVEN. We had purchased groceries on our way into town knowing we would have an oven. The older properties have ovens in all the rooms, but newer properties are hit and miss. However, the website for other properties, when listing Oven will state "some rooms". This way, if an oven is important to me, I call a few days ahead and ask to make sure they block off a room with one. Because this RI lead me to believe that ALL rooms had ovens, I did not call ahead.

I met with the General Manager shortly after check-in to tell him exactly what I wrote above and told him I realize that it wasn't his fault and that he couldn't fix the structural / room design type problems I cited. I did, however, want him to be aware that their website descriptions are very misleading to the educated traveler. He was very sympathetic and apologetic and said he would talk to his Sale Manager about changing the website.

A few minutes after my return to the room, he showed up offering us invitations to the Grand Opening Party of the new movie theatre in the shopping district next to the hotel: cocktails and hors d'ouvres. That was a very nice gesture on his part.

The hotel and rooms are very clean and well maintained; friendly staff. The quality of the breakfast buffet food items was far less compared to other RI's.

Bottom line..........just be sure you know what you are getting for a room beforehand if you happen to be very particular like myself.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Oris R, Manager at Residence Inn Sandestin at Grand Boulevard, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear recent guest,

We thank you for bringing to our attention these very important issues in regards to your recent stay at the hotel.
Firstly, please accept our apologies for the communication relayed on our website in regards to the room descriptions that mislead you in your expectations. Secondly, upon receiving your comments, we immediately reviewed and revised the room descriptions for the 1 and 2 bedroom suites. The descriptions are now shorter and clearer. Furthermore, in regards to the ovens, since only some rooms are equipped with this feature we made the decision to remove the “Oven” amenity (is now based on availability) from the features to eliminate any further misunderstandings. Thank you again for taking the time to send us your comments, which will assist us in improving our services to our guests.
Champaign, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Beautiful hotel, spacious rooms - the service was good, friendly professional front desk employees. I cannot say enough good about the breakfast. There was a very good selection of eggs, sausage or ham, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, etc. The last morning we were there, Erika was waiting on us hand and foot. She made our waffles, delivered them to our table, picked up our dirty dishes. She went above and beyond what was necessary.

Two small concerns -(1) They had a lovely courtyard between the buildings, however unless you are a smoker, you couldn't spend any time in it because the smokers hung out there. They called themselves a non-smoking hotel, but this ruined that lovely space. (2) Ask for a room away from 98 - the highway noise is pretty significant. Initially we were given a room on the first floor facing the highway, we ask for a different room and were given one on the 4th floor. This was significantly better.

I would definitely stay here again. Highly recommended for families who want a little extra space.

Room Tip: request something away from the highway - or a higher floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Our family stayed in this hotel for one night en-route to New Orleans. The room is unbelievably stacked with amenities (are all Residence Inns like this ?) Only bad thing is the room we got was right above the cooling fan and from 7pm to 11pm, it sounded like we were inside an airplane turbine engine. Very minor price to pay for such a clean room (great sheets and pillows!)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Wonderful location, great area, perfect amenities, super pleasant staff and a perfectly clean room. I had to move to this property after the other Marriott I was staying at near Eglin had sold out. I was not too happy about the move since it'd now be a 45 minute drive instead of 5 minutes to the base. Upon check in I was greeted by a super pleasant front desk team, Maria was one who stood out. She helped me whenever I needed it although I tried to not worry her too much for my random requests.

The breakfast staff was very attentive, never letting anything run out, making sure the guests were happy and had everything they needed. I felt like I was being waited on hand and foot, honestly. I was not even "needy", but the staff wanted to make sure EVERYONE was satisfied before they even needed to say a word or ask for anything. Excellent customer service, this is very hard to come by, even at Marriotts.

The convenient location was a major plus. After checkout at 11am, I went down to the side shops and walked along the outlets (which are fabulous by the way if you love to shop) and I even went to the beach. I had to kill time until about 4pm, so there was PLENTY to do. This hotel is definitely worth the drive, money, or whatever it takes! I have to say it's one of the best Residence Inns I've ever stayed at. I would love to come back and visit if I am in the area again. Thank you for the wonderful hospitality!

Room Tip: You may want a room not facing the road if you have a problem with hearing traffic. It calms down af...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Residence Inn Sandestin at Grand Boulevard? Share your experiences!