“Surprisingly good - expected a tourist trap.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #34 of 246 Restaurants in Destin
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine
“Surprisingly good - expected a tourist trap.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We went in expecting the typical touristy food for this type of location, and were pleasantly surprised. We ordered two burgers, and a combo plate with fried fish & crab claws. Both were very good, and pretty good values for the area. The burgers were tasty, and the patties were thick and char grilled. The combo platter was not greasy at all, and was very fresh.
Parking is a challenge, but if you can get in, the view and the food are worth it.

Visited May 2013

“Flip Flops Welcomed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I will not bore you with every little detail..
Great beachy feeling atmosphere.
Tasty Drinks
Excellents
Live music...

So just slip on those flip flops and stop by. It is a fun place with a nonstuffy staff.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thomasville, Georgia
“Tourist Trap”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Too many seats and tables. Food was OK but over priced. The view is nice but getting a parking space is a challenge since they share a parking lot with a public beach access point.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Alabama
“Great location, good service, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We ate here on our first night in Destin on the recommendation of my 23 yr old daughter. She typically chooses places that appeal to 20 somethings while I prefer more "local favorites" but I can usually find something acceptable just about anywhere so I was game. When I saw the packed parking lot and the people standing outside waiting on a Thursday night in May, I thought "oh no, a long wait for average food" but our party of 7 was seated within 10 minutes and our food arrived quickly and was good. I had fried shrimp, my son had the stir fry tuna, which he said was delicious, can't remember what everyone else had but everyone was happy and full when we left. This is a crowded, noisy place with close seating and music (I think live music but can't remember for sure) so if you are looking for an intimate dinner, this ain't the place for you! Great location, right on the beach, with outdoor seating areas and open air seating inside. Service was good, food was good, servings were plentiful, atmosphere was geared toward the 20something crowd but was not vulgar or inappropriate to children. I would eat here again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Wlimore, KY
“Fresh seafood, but a little pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My family visited Pompano Joe's while on vacation in Destin. We had heard from some friends to check it out. The view from the restaurant overlooks the gulf and is absolutely beautiful and does provide a unique dining "atmosphere," assuming the weather is good (it was for us!). Service was relatively quick and friendly. My wife and I both ordered the jumbo gulf shrimp ($20/each) and we got the popcorn shrimp kids meal ($8) for our son. The shrimp was clearly fresh and relatively plentiful. It came with steamed vegetables and a choice of potato (I got the twice baked, and it was just OK). The kids meal was very large and ended-up being enough for my son and several young cousins to share. The "popcorn" shrimp was much larger than what we would normally consider "popcorn" shrimp (this was a good thing!). My wife and I also ordered sweet tea and it was definitely not the best I've had. Other family members commented on how fresh and delicious the Mahi Mahi was. While we haven't visited many seafood restaurants in the area, I'm guessing that more than anything you're paying for the atmosphere here, combined with the fact that it's in a high tourist destination. We plan on checking out some of the other local seafood restaurants later in the week to compare apples to apples.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere