“Chocolate Angels from Heaven” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Garland, Texas
“Chocolate Angels from Heaven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

We stopped at this little café for breakfast one morning. They were busy but we were seated pretty quickly. I think our waiter had about 9 tables but he seemed to be handling them well. I had a pimento cheese omelet just because I had never seen one before. My husband had the huevos rancheros. Neither of these were mind-bending so we would never order again. However, we noticed the amazing looking donuts so decided to return for them another day. I am a huge fan of the Chocolate Cream Filled donut at Dunkin Donuts. However, the last few years I have noticed that they should remove Filled from the title as the filling has grown less and less. HOWEVER, noticing that the Donut Hole had a very similar type donut called the Chocolate Angel with amazing looking chocolate filling spilling out from the end, I had to order it. It actually surpassed my expectation. Very fresh and 'filling'. My friends all had different types and they all loved theirs as well. So, needless to say, we stopped there two more times during our Destin vacation so I could get these amazing donuts. On the third stop we picked up a key lime pie for dessert that night. We all thought the made fresh daily pie was delicious and no wonder they run out of them every day. We will return for donuts and pies for sure.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Birmingham
“A Destin trip must”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

We go here every year. We go early so there is no wait. The lines can get crazy. The donuts are always good and fresh. We have always had good service. The food is a bit pricey but good. I got a small order of pancakes, bacon, milk, and 2 donuts to go and it was right at $20 with a tip.
The biscuits and donuts are amazing. I reccomend the Angler donut. While the pancakes were not bad I would not reccomend them. Nothing beats the Destin tradition of a donut at the beach as an early afternoon snack.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Sarcastic Chicken?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

I've comer here several times and every time the service is super slow. Granted the servers are nice, but the don't seem very attentive after your food comes out. There is often a long line the extends past the door in the mornings, so it can take a while to get a seat.

I just got married and my husband and I chose to eat here for our first breakfast. By the time we were seated and ordered, it was around 11:00 so I chose a lunch meal while he chose breakfast.

My husband enjoyed his meal. All of his food (omelette, hash browns, and biscuits) had great portions and he admitted to being envious of other people who got pancakes since he considering getting one and saw how big the were.

I ordered a chicken breast with fries. The food was hot when it came out, but took a very long time.I was impressed that I was given basically a bowl of honey mustard (usually I'm only given a small cup when I go out and have to ask fore more). But when I cut my chicken I noticed that it wasn't cooked all the way through. Not a big problem, I understand that it's still rather busy and mistakes happen. I asked the server for a new one and had to wait until my husband had finished his large meal for mine to come back. Unfortunately, it was super overcooked- so dry it affected the taste. I'm not sure if it was just the chef being through or being sarcastic for having to cook my food a second time. The server had also taken my silverware when she took my plate and never brought any back. I was never able to get her attention so I had to use my finders to eat (my husband had butter and tomato on his, which I'm allergic to, so I couldn't use them).

I've never been super impressed coming here and this visit didn't change that, but it does make for a decent meal and the prices are reasonable despite being a popular tourist location.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bloomington, Illinois
“It's been better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

I've eaten donuts and pie here two other times, but on this stop the donuts were stale, and the chocolate pie had a bad texture (grainy vs. smooth). We had a much better experience at Dunkin' Donuts which makes me sad when I prefer a chain over a local shop.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ashburn, Virginia
“Consistency counts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

We liked the local flavor. Not a chain.
Can get busy, so service can suffer.
Ok home style food. Seems to change little over the years. So people return for the experience and memories of years past.
Pastries are very good: key lime pie, cakes, muffins and donuts. If you are a fan of cake-style donuts, this beats the raised donut place down the street.

Visited August 2014