“Great location even during "off" season” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Vacation Resorts at Majestic Sun

Save Saved
You added Wyndham Vacation Resorts at Majestic Sun to your Saves list
Wyndham Vacation Resorts at Majestic Sun
77 Seascape Blvd, Destin, FL 32550 (Formerly Fairfield Destin at Majestic Sun)   |
Ranked #15 of 39 hotels in Destin
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great location even during "off" season”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Very nice beach resort. Especially quiet during our stay in the first week of January. A short walk to the beautiful white sand beach of the Gulf. A little too cool for water sports but the beach was still inviting.
Accommodations were clean and spacious.
No problem parking in garage and taking elevator to suite. All types of restaurants are within a short drive.

• Stayed January 2013

70 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Lexington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Positives:
The room was wonderful, clean and spacious. It was lovelly for our family time at thanksgiving.
The resort staff were very helpful and friendy.
Indoor pool was excellent and we used it a lot.
The beach was clean and beautiful.

Negative:
I was disappointed with having to walk over the road to the beach especially with 4 year old triplets and with all the beach gear. The beach was busy also.
The view was disappointing as I was hoping to see the beach and sea but we were at the side of the building and did not have the spectacular views.

Overall, the room being so lovely and luxurious may have been an asset for the relaxation of the trip so I quickly got over our hike. We had a great time and I would consider going back as the sunsets at the beach were awesome and the best I have ever seen as well as the Whale's Tail was a great place to eat and watch the sunsets.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bristow, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed at this property from 10/20/12 through 10/27/12. The property was easy to find after leaving the Ft. Walton airport in our rental car. The airport is small so it was easy in and out. The address for the property was found on our AT&T phone mapping program and we were there with ease. Upon arriving it is not obvious where you need to go to check in. We figured it out easy enough but from our room we noticed all week people stopping and pausing trying to figure out where to go. We filled out the check in paperwork ahead of time during some downtime at the airport waiting for our connection. Check in was easy and efficient and similar to all other Wyndham property processes. There is a parking garage for use by guests with baggage trolleys at every elevator directly to the rooms. There were plenty of trolleys available.

Garage, elevators, and hallways were all very clean. Signage to the rooms was easy and everything worked. We used points and reserved a one bedroon deluxe suite. This room has a long entry hallway, a kitchen, living and dining area, a master bedroom, and a balcony. The bathroom has a jacuzzi tub with shutters that open to the bedroom. Our room was an accessible room, we didn't request it, nor did we need it so I'm not sure how the layout differs. We had a large walk in shower and a sink in both the bathroom proper and the vanity area where the jacuzzi tub was. Lots of room, plenty of towels for inside use and four beach towels. There was a suitable amount of soap and such for us to use as well. The room was clean.

There has been much discussion about the beds. They are a bit firm but the week was comfortable and restful. The only issue we had with the bed was that the sheets didn't fit so we needed to keep adjusting. I think the sheets were regular king sheets and maybe the mattress was a deep mattress? Very minor issue.

There was also plenty of storage in the room so hanging space was plentiful, although it took us a couple days to find the iron :-) There was an in room safe as well. HVAC worked great and seemed to maintain temperature although a bit cooler than the temp indicated. Very comfortable. The floors are all ceramic tile and that keeps the sand manageable that is invariably brought in BUT it also makes for noisy neighbors. Every movement above us came through the floor. Just something to be aware of with hard floors throughout. We noted it but did not find it a nuisance.

The entire room and the kitchen had obviousy been recently updated. Paint was fresh, surfaces current and appliances perhaps not as new as the upgrade but in good conditon. Coffee maker was brand new.

The building sits perpendicular to the gulf. Balconies are angled out of the building and face the gulf. We had a good view but the building faces a road (how we noted people trying to figure the check in) but the gulf captures your attention. If I have attached a picture it is the view from the balcony. Higher numbered rooms are closer to the gulf and further from the trash room. Elevators are in the middle... you make the call.

There is no restaurant in the building. There is one in the condo complex across the street "The Crab Shack", and there is a beach restaurant in short walking distance "The Whale Tale" and further down the beach is the famous "Pompano Joe's". A car rental is definitely a good idea and there are many scooter, bike, and jelly car rentals (these are three wheeled motorized and peppy cute things that look like jelly beans). There are plentiful opportunities for any kind of food you could want within a short drive or a good walk.

There is no pool at this specific property and there are five pools at adjacent properties that can be accessed. One that is closest is an indoor/outdoor pool and has two hot tubs. People have written about this pool being through a garage or outside and into another building. All true but the pool is very close and a short walk. We had beautiful weather all week and went to the pool once just to try it out. It was clean but there was maintenance going on so the peace was lost on the ambience of a pressure washer. The other pools were a walk and looked nice, but few people were in the pools since the gulf was so beautiful. We spent all of our water and sun time on the beach.

There are no complimentary beach chairs and umbrellas. They are available on the beach for $40.00 a day. Ask at the activities center for chairs and umbrellas to check out. If they have any serviceable ones that were left behind you can get them free. We left behind two chairs and an umbrella. There are plenty of beachside shops to get beach gear at a good price and close by.

Staff were all very nice and very helpful. Mids came mid-week we only asked for more towels and they were provided readily.Checkout is at 10am and the maid brigade was pounding on the door at 10am sharp. We found that a bit disturbing. We were ready to go, bags in hand, but that had us feeling like we were being hustled off of a table at a busy restaurant. Very uncharacteristic of the week and the entire experience and the reason it doesn't get a 5.

We will go back for sure and will also explore the Wyndham property down the coast in Destin.

Room Tip: One bedroom deluxe is the way to go. Much bigger. Higher numbered rooms are closer to the gulf.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at a lot of Wyndham resorts and this was one of the best. We had a two bedroom room that was extremely clean and everything looked very new. From our balcony you could see the ocean and it was less than 100 yard walk to put your feet in the water. I wasn't 100% thrilled with the pools but with the beach that close and the ocean their is perfect for our kids we hardly went to the pool. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2012
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed from Aug 19 to the 24th of August, 2012 at the Wyndham at Majestic Sun. The location is great, its across the ocean and close to shops and restaurants. Since the Wyndham is not directly oceanfront, all balconies have the view of the gulf (ocean). We had a one bedroom deluxe and the room was incredible. Nice full size kitchen fully equipped, large living area, comfortable master room and bathroom with jacuzzi tub.

We had a wonderful time, the staff was great and attentive. We truly enjoyed it very much and can't wait to go back. The location of the resort is perfect ... we walked around beach; felt very safe. Don't lose your wristband because that's the ticket to use the pool at the Majestic Sun building.

You will enjoy your stay very much. Plenty of parking spaces at the garage, nice view overall, tennis courts nearby and a pristine golf course.

Room Tip: All rooms are great with views to the Ocean. The higher the better!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We have stayed in Majsetic sun Two years in a row so I was familiar with the property. Checkin was a breeze . THe room was decent except that after the first night of sleeping on the newly replaced mattresses I thought I would need to see a chiropractor. The beds were sooooo hard. I had to see what type of MAttresses they were. I called the front desk to see if we could switch rooms but was told that all of the rooms had the same mattresses. I decided to sleep on the sofa for the next 6 days. Also the dishwasher would not stay closed to operate it. WE called front desk before we went to the beachat 12:00 to send someone up. Well when we returned at 2:00 the maintenance guys had just gotten started on the repair. THey told me they would have to replace the dishwasher. THey did replace it alright with one that older and beat up looking. I ran it twice and after my dishes didnt get clean, I decided to handwash everything. On Saturday morning, I noticed that the power was out starting around 6:00 am. I called the front desk and withought any explanation was told that they were working on it.When I tried to call back 2 house later, the phones didn't work. So we waited and waited and finally around 1230 they restored the powere(no explanations or anything).

FInally!!!!!!!! I was sleeping on the sofa because of the bed and I found myself tossing and turning every night even getting up because something was itching me. I woke up with a goosebumps and blamed it on possible a mosquito bite. This happened every night causing my husband to ask me if I was ok. I paid it no mind. I just put hydrocortisone on and kept going. My daughter had gotten bittten on her arm and she scratched it until it became infected. Well by Saturday, I had these small lines of bites on my shoulder and arms. I mustve said a million times we must have mosquitos in the room but they were only attacking me. On Monday when I got home, I had several more spots on my arms, shoulders and neck that started to itch uncotnrollably. I called my husband and he came home and decided to stay off work the next day. I called the hotel the next day and asked for the manager and told her my issue. SHe assured me that the hotel did not carry bed bugs as the rooms are thoroughly cleaned. I asked her could they do an inspection of the room and she said she would and call me back. I never heard back so I called that evening and got a different managerwho assured me she would contact the other manager and have them call me in the morning. I received a call Today Thursday while sitting in the doctor's office. When I walked in they asked what happened and I said I wasn't sure. I have been researching these bites, the locations of the bites and they have all lead to bed bugs. The patterns, the bite locations and the delayed allergic reaction. Erin at Majestic Sun assured me that they did an entire room inspection and nothing. Well the doctor said that hey look like bed bug bites and apparently my body has had an allergic reaction to it. I was given a steroid shot, a Z pack, some other antibiotics and Atarax for itching. I also am taking benadryl. This is the worst itch I havde ever experience and my suggestion to anyone is that no matter how nice a hotel is always do a thorough inspection from top to bottom of all of the furniture. We were there 7 days during fourth of July and folks were coming in and out like a internation airport so it is very likely that the room didnt get thoroughly inspected.AS i sit here typing I am itching terribly. I asked the manager if they had bed bugs would they tell me and she said yes.... I don't believe that One bit. SHe indicated the possibility of sand fleas but I don't think that's the case. I have no bites on my legs and my kids wouldve definitely showed signs.I will be glad to share photos taken of the bites to know what to look for...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Our family belongs to Wyndham Vacation Club and having stayed in a number of properties around the country this is one of the better ones. Check-in was a breeze and our room was on the 5th floor with an ocean view. We stayed in a two bedroom and could not be happier with how fresh, crisp, and updated the unit was (granite counters, tile throughout common areas, new furniture). The proximity to the beach across the street made traveling with our 11 month old and 4 year easy as we could go up to the room for naps or food. Our boys especially liked the pool area, but keep in mind there is no food/drink service. Get there early because the chairs are gone and it gets full, it was particularly packed due to Summer. I used the fitness room which had all I needed to my cardio workout, good to know if you like to exercise while away from home. In total we stayed for 5 days and would come back in a heart beat.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wyndham Vacation Resorts at Majestic Sun? Share your experiences!