“Bites all over arms and neck- currently taking 3 prescription drugs” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Vacation Resorts at Majestic Sun

Save Saved
You added Wyndham Vacation Resorts at Majestic Sun to your Saves list
Wyndham Vacation Resorts at Majestic Sun
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   77 Seascape Blvd, Destin, FL 32550 (Formerly Fairfield Destin at Majestic Sun)   |
Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Destin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Birmingham, Alabama
“Bites all over arms and neck- currently taking 3 prescription drugs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We have stayed in Majsetic sun Two years in a row so I was familiar with the property. Checkin was a breeze . THe room was decent except that after the first night of sleeping on the newly replaced mattresses I thought I would need to see a chiropractor. The beds were sooooo hard. I had to see what type of MAttresses they were. I called the front desk to see if we could switch rooms but was told that all of the rooms had the same mattresses. I decided to sleep on the sofa for the next 6 days. Also the dishwasher would not stay closed to operate it. WE called front desk before we went to the beachat 12:00 to send someone up. Well when we returned at 2:00 the maintenance guys had just gotten started on the repair. THey told me they would have to replace the dishwasher. THey did replace it alright with one that older and beat up looking. I ran it twice and after my dishes didnt get clean, I decided to handwash everything. On Saturday morning, I noticed that the power was out starting around 6:00 am. I called the front desk and withought any explanation was told that they were working on it.When I tried to call back 2 house later, the phones didn't work. So we waited and waited and finally around 1230 they restored the powere(no explanations or anything).

FInally!!!!!!!! I was sleeping on the sofa because of the bed and I found myself tossing and turning every night even getting up because something was itching me. I woke up with a goosebumps and blamed it on possible a mosquito bite. This happened every night causing my husband to ask me if I was ok. I paid it no mind. I just put hydrocortisone on and kept going. My daughter had gotten bittten on her arm and she scratched it until it became infected. Well by Saturday, I had these small lines of bites on my shoulder and arms. I mustve said a million times we must have mosquitos in the room but they were only attacking me. On Monday when I got home, I had several more spots on my arms, shoulders and neck that started to itch uncotnrollably. I called my husband and he came home and decided to stay off work the next day. I called the hotel the next day and asked for the manager and told her my issue. SHe assured me that the hotel did not carry bed bugs as the rooms are thoroughly cleaned. I asked her could they do an inspection of the room and she said she would and call me back. I never heard back so I called that evening and got a different managerwho assured me she would contact the other manager and have them call me in the morning. I received a call Today Thursday while sitting in the doctor's office. When I walked in they asked what happened and I said I wasn't sure. I have been researching these bites, the locations of the bites and they have all lead to bed bugs. The patterns, the bite locations and the delayed allergic reaction. Erin at Majestic Sun assured me that they did an entire room inspection and nothing. Well the doctor said that hey look like bed bug bites and apparently my body has had an allergic reaction to it. I was given a steroid shot, a Z pack, some other antibiotics and Atarax for itching. I also am taking benadryl. This is the worst itch I havde ever experience and my suggestion to anyone is that no matter how nice a hotel is always do a thorough inspection from top to bottom of all of the furniture. We were there 7 days during fourth of July and folks were coming in and out like a internation airport so it is very likely that the room didnt get thoroughly inspected.AS i sit here typing I am itching terribly. I asked the manager if they had bed bugs would they tell me and she said yes.... I don't believe that One bit. SHe indicated the possibility of sand fleas but I don't think that's the case. I have no bites on my legs and my kids wouldve definitely showed signs.I will be glad to share photos taken of the bites to know what to look for...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Our family belongs to Wyndham Vacation Club and having stayed in a number of properties around the country this is one of the better ones. Check-in was a breeze and our room was on the 5th floor with an ocean view. We stayed in a two bedroom and could not be happier with how fresh, crisp, and updated the unit was (granite counters, tile throughout common areas, new furniture). The proximity to the beach across the street made traveling with our 11 month old and 4 year easy as we could go up to the room for naps or food. Our boys especially liked the pool area, but keep in mind there is no food/drink service. Get there early because the chairs are gone and it gets full, it was particularly packed due to Summer. I used the fitness room which had all I needed to my cardio workout, good to know if you like to exercise while away from home. In total we stayed for 5 days and would come back in a heart beat.

Princeton, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Had a good time. Beach was nice, but the June grass in the water was bad. The tile floors were very dirty. Ask at the front desk for them to clean the floors and the never showed up. Finally after 2 days went and bought a mop to clean it my self. Did not like my 1 year old daughter with black feet form the room. Great location. Really wish they had beach carts to carry your stuff to and from the beach in the hotel.

• Stayed June 2012
Dallas, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

The staff is great we are owners and stayed in a one bedroom deluxe suite it was large enough for the four of us the location is on the beach no travel needed to get there but if you are not Wyndham owners do not buy into their scam you can rent these rooms cheaper than buying into it they make it sound awesome with their points and promises but there not I like the Wyndham properties but the ownership was a waste of money and the worst thing I could of purchases the nightmare with the company never ends and there's virtually no way to sell it pay to stay here but DO NOT BUY ITS A SCAM im an owner and I wish I wasn't but I would like to thank Scott at the front desk for being so nice

Room Tip: Get at least a one bedroom deluxe or two bedroom or it's uncomfortable
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

My parents are timeshare owners here and this was our first visit to this location. It's not oceanfront, but oceanview. Standing on the balcony, you can see the bay to the left and the ocean to the right. There are 5-6 pools that we had access to but most of them are not walking distance from the resort. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. There is no onsite resturant. The staff is VERY friendly and accomodating. The walk to the beach is about 100 yards which isn't bad at all. The only complaint I have is that the balconies are way too small. The balcony for a two bedroom, full kitchen suite was about 6 feet long and no more than 4 feet deep. You can barely fit 4 people on the balcony comfortably. Still, I would return here and recommend it.

Aurora, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

We own here and wanted to experience what it provided. Initially we were booked into a one bed room suite not knowing what that really mean, but found out it meant that we were spending our points on a Motel 6 size lockout suite unit with a page full of deficiencies - air conditioner burned up during the first night (actually) - miniture kitchen - no balcony - no in-room safe - garbage container had no lid, etc, etc. Their brochere states that there were numerous pools (8) and very limited on-property activities. The kitchenette is very, very small and sits directly part of the living space. Kitchen trash receptacle sits right next to sofa. There were one indoor and one outdoor and two hot tubs directly accessable to the residents, but they were very clean and well maintained. They were located in another tower/facility which meant you had to walk a bit to enjoy them. The locale and the beaches of this area are outstanding - most beautiful we have ever seen, and very white and clean. The beach was across the street - not too far. The maintenance teams for the facility were very skilled and responsive and in-checking individual was very friendly and understanding. Parking for the facility was free and covered and accessible to elevators and the rooms. Carts for moving suitcases and supplies were very handy. Adequate handicap parking slots (if not from Florida - bring your own 'Handicap' display card. It helps all over the area. After strong discussion with management we were provided significant and acceptable upgrade, but still found facility problems within replacement unit - safe broken/front door dead bolt lock broken/refrigerator ice maker very inadequate/slow. Would we stay owners and return - Yes, making sure that we were booked into a proper point equal unit. You definately need a car to enjoy the Destin area. It has a lot to offer including many restaurants, both local and chain types. The seafood restaurants in the area are many. Not many locale steak/pork items on menu's but we ae one the coast. A large supermarket is about a mile to the east from the resort. The whole resort had been recently refurbished and was very clean and housekeeping did a very noteworthy job on their end. The weather in April and during all winter months, can change quickly being very warm one day and chilly the next. Suggest at least 1 light sweatshirt or rain coat. Also, there is only one blanket provided in the facility - and thats part of the sleeper sofa bedding pack. It can get cold during this period - several added blankets in the unit during these winter months would be benificial. Shopping outlet in close area - about 1-1/2 miles.

Room Tip: If your only using rooms for sleep and changing clothes, the 1bedroom suite is OK for 4 people, but...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Oxford, MS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

We own a timeshare here. We thought we were getting a two bedroom, which turned into a 1 bedroom (which meant I was on the couch bed). It was actually quite comfortable. We didn't have a balcony. I couldn't get the DVD player to work (I have the same TV). It was a short walk across the street to the beach---Our reason for coming. The room never matters as long as the beach is great. The hotel Staff was amazing. Gave us a great recommendation for brunch on Easter Sunday-- 790 on the Gulf---SO WONDERFUL. Can't say enough about the staff.

Room Tip: Get a Balcony room or a 2 bedroom. SUPER SMALL for any number above 2 in a 1 bedroom
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wyndham Vacation Resorts at Majestic Sun? Share your experiences!