“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 39 hotels in Destin
Cartersville, Georgia, United States
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We love to stay at Wingates when we travel, but I was very disappointed in this property. The bad: The rooms need to be updated. It was old and had a very old TV that made a buzzing noise. The walls were paper thing. We heard EVRTHING our neighbors did and said. Our room door didnt close properly so we heard EVERYTHING that people did and said in the hallway. We stayed 2 night and breakfast was the same both mornings. I expected them to change it up a little on the weekends.There was a disturbing natural gas smell that we noticed while in the hot tub. There was a hole in our shower curtian, and our bed was not made nor were our sheets changed until we asked for it. The good: The staff was amazing! The evening front desk clerk let my husband and I use the hot tub long after it had closed on our first night. Im sure she could have gotten in touble for that. The room was very clean! No funny smells or stains in sight. Very close to the beach and right off the main rd. Normally we stay in a Wingate in Lynn Haven and go to PCB but its a haul to get to the beach. This hotel is close to everything and less than a mile to the sand. The bed was super comfy and the room was big. Again, let me say that the staff is WONDERFUL!!! But, over all, I dont think it was worth the rate that we paid. It was too cold for the pool, but for the size of the hotel it was super small! Sadly, we would never go back. Very disappointing for a Wingate!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Joseph K, Front Office Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Destin FL, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are saddened to hear that you were not completely satisfied in the Wingate by Wyndham Destin. We hope that you let the front desk know during your stay about the items that were not satisfactory in the room. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the room and your stay in some aspects. We hope that you will reconsider and give the hotel a chance to exceed your expectations in the future.

459 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Sterrett
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The hotel was in a great location and the staff was extremely nice. The rooms were nice but the pillows needed to be replaced. It was slob stains on all of our pillows and the pillow cases didnt look to clean either. Oh but the breakfast was absolutely great! So much to choose from and the lady that prepares the food was very nice and kept the dinning area looking great!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

Joseph K, Front Office Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Destin FL, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed the team, and the breakfast. i was sorry to hear that you had a problem with the pillows. We hope that you let someone know during your stay so it could have been corrected. We appreciate you staying with us and we hope you come back soon.
Pembroke Pines, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed one night at the Wingate in Destin before staying at the Emerald Grande for a wedding. Room was spotless, bed was very comfortable. Very quiet and a yummy breakfast. We were invited to a manager's (Mark Owens) reception that evening. Arone Roache sure knows how to throw a lovely party (great meatballs). Had a great conversation with both Mark and Arone. Enjoyed it very much. (Emerald Grande is lovely, but the staff could learn alot from the Wingate staff). Can't wait to visit again.

Room Tip: We liked the downstairs room. Not so far to drag suitcases from the car!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Joseph K, Front Office Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Destin FL, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your reveiw. We are so glad you got to enjoy our reception, and socialize with the team. We hope that you and your party returns to the Wingate by Wyndham soon.
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had stayed at Wingate in Destin frequently, but I must say the quality of service and quality of rooms has gone downhill in 2012-2013. I stayed at the Wingate last night (3-11-13), using my Wyndam Rewards this time, and room 205 was filthy. The carpet sorely needs cleaning. The ceiling was water stained and had falling plaster over the bed nearest the window. The desk had been taken out (the fridge moved there) and there was no phone in the entire room. When I checked in, I asked Joe (manager) for a different room, preferably 3rd floor, in anticipation of a noisy night due to Spring breakers. I was told the hotel was sold out. When I found the room in such bad condition, I called the desk, again asking for another room, and was told nothing could be done. I called Wyndam Rewards and was told if I left the points could not be returned. This morning, I did not ask -- I told-- Customer Service at Wyndam Rewards that I would need those points returned immediately, or a room without charge for a second night, or a money refund (which I did not think would be possible, since payment was points). When I spoke to Joe this morning at Check-out he blamed me for not calling the desk last night (I had called, of course) and when I told him that i called the desk before reporting to Wyndam Rewards he basically called me a liar. I don't think it's the customer's job, in any case, to tell them a room with no desk (Wingates cater to business travelers and always have desks), no room phone at all, and falling plaster, dirty carpet is unacceptable. Management should know enough about their hotel to know to know when a room is not ready to rent! Joe said he would have Wyndam refund the points, but that is yet to be seen. Actually, I should get more than just the points back after that room. This is the second occasion, in two visits, that there has been a bad experience at this particular Wingate. Some of their rooms are good, others are not, and management is very reluctant to make good when something is wrong. The attitude of some of the staff, noticeably Cristie (the pregnant woman) at the desk is also very poor. And Joe acts like he's doing a big favor by renting a room, and you should take what you get. Destin is an upscale community, and Wingates have a reputation of being good over-all hotels catering to business travelers. This particular Wingate, lately, is giving the chain a huge blemish. Other things, the hotel was busy with Spring Break and ran out of food at breakfast, and I just had coffee, one juice, one yogurt because the breakfast bar was empty. There was a long line, of people waiting for dried out eggs and overcooked sausage, and there was none. The waffle mix ran out before 8:30.

Room Tip: If you stay here, ask for a room on the third floor because their insulation is terrible and you can...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Joseph K, Front Office Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Destin FL, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Thank you for your comments. As you know from your many visits to the Wingate by Wyndham in Destin, FL your experience this visit was very uncharacteristic of the quality and level of services provided by our hotel and staff. Your comments have been passed on to the appropriate departments. Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Destin FL? Share your experiences!