“Remains One of the Best” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #27 of 246 Restaurants in Destin
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Description: The Back Porch Seafood & Oyster House has been a local favorite in Destin since 1974 serving the finest smoked tuna dip, ice-cold oysters and our famous char-grilled Amberjack. Happy Hour 3-5PM daily.
Midwest
“Remains One of the Best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have been eating at The Back Porch on every vacation to Destin over the last twelve years. In fact, I have can tell you what I order each time...because the food is always good.

In my opinion, the one thing that makes The Back Porch the place to go in Destin is the true lack of "commercialization" of the entire restaurant. Surrounded by high rise condos, located down and across the street from Red Lobster and McDonalds,The Back Porch maintains the feel of Destin from years past. The service is always good, food tasty, and the beer cold.

If you are new visitor to Destin, you may skip this place for the glitz and glamour of Harbor Walk and the "name" brand restaurants....that is fine by me, I would love to keep this place all to myself.

Ask for the blackened grouper sandwich and a Red Stripe...delicious!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Again a good experience. Food is wonderful!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was our second time to eat here on our yearly trip to Destin area. Food again was fantastic! I recommend the seafood broiler platter-shrimp, scallops, mahi mahi, and crab cake. Plus it comes with two sides! I shared it with my son. We also enjoyed the crab claws and raw oysters were some of the best we have had in a long time!! Waitress was a little rude when we asked for anything- and she shouldn't since we were automatically charged 18% gratuity ! But overall it was great!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great Amberjack Sandwich!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Start off with the crab and spinach dip! It's great!!! The Amberjack sandwich is hard to beat. The fried oysters with the jalapeño tarter sauce are also a must try. I have been coming to the Back Porch for years it never disappoints! (I do miss the corn on the cob) :)-

North Houston, Texas
“My favorite beach restaurant.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have been eating at the Back Porch restaurant for over 25 years, and it is the best beach restaurant I know--walk in from the beach for lunch or bring the family for dinner, either way, the food and service are great. Also, has small store with fun beach items. I know of no better place.

Atlanta, Georgia
“The Back Porch for good food and a fun beach atmosphere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We have been going to the Back Porch restaurant on the beach in Destin, Florida for many years (we have been going to Destin annually the first week in August for over thirty years). It has become pretty much a "must" on every trip there. We try to go at lunchtime because it is nearly always crowded and has a wait in the evenings. It is an open air (in the summertime) restaurant right on the beach. If you are lucky enough to get a table on the Gulf side, you can watch the beach swimmers, sunbathers, etc while you eat. The food is consistently good and typical beach fare in most cases. If you do have to wait you can take a walk on the beach or let your kids play there until your table is ready.

• Visited August 2012