“Did not meet expectations” 2 of 5 stars

Inn on Destin Harbor
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   402 Harbor Boulevard (Highway 98), Destin, FL 32541   |
Ranked #26 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Pensacola, FL
“Did not meet expectations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

I chose this place because it had a reasonable summer rate and we were on a last minute trip. A lot of the other places were already filled. The only positives about this location was the staff was extremely pleasant and it is within walking distance to a lot of places. This facility does not resemble the pictures on the website at all. It is an older place that is in bad need of renovations. The carpets in the hallways and elevators had a lot of beach sand that was not vacuumed at all during our two day stay. The bathroom in the room was very outdated and not as clean as I would have liked. The carpets in the room had mutliple stains and the housekeeping service used an air freshener scent that my husband and I could only identify as maple syrup (?). Everytime you opened the door you got hit with the smell of pancakes. My husband would look at me and say "Mmmm....IHOP." We tried keeping the balcony open to air it out but it didn't work. I was quite disappointed with my selection. We've stayed in far better places for $160/night.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

We went by the reviews from a few months ago and the beautiful pictures.Huge disappointment.Maybe it's what you are used to but-----upon entering the hotel I knew it was a mistake.Nothing like the picture.Dying plants,garbage on the walkway.

The room had sliders as we faced the bay.Beautiful view.However the doors would not open.Then we finally did open it and there was a leak and mold on the outside patio ceiling.
I asked for another room.They did not seem bothered about the complaint.I think they must hear many.
I had no clue it was pet friendly.I love pets but the room showed it was pet friendly.Stains on the bedspread i assumed were from an animal had to be removed.
The bathroom looked like it was from the 50's and so so so rundown.The tiolet seat was gross and old and worn.It was so tiny-worse then a cruise ship.Dingy.Moldy.
The patio air conditioner leaked all over and formed puddles.
What a shame because the location is beautiful.Why don't they put some money into it and fix it up??????????I have a feeling this place is going downhill fast.
Internet-----none the first 2 nights-so slow I could not use it.Then we had to leave it on or not get back on.Again they were not concerned about it.

OH and we were locked out of our patio twice-----something wrong with the doors.Pool looked nice,beach was a tiny area.
Room was really bad.Really!
Fix the place up.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
The State of Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

We stayed 1 night in a std dbl room. It was clean and adequet, but kinda old. The hotel is nonsmoking. Good location near tons of restaurants, on the harbor.

I got the impression that it's a family run business and the owners are slowly refurbishing the place. Some things done, others not. OK for 1 or 2 nights.

They accepted our well mannered pets and I truly appreciate that. Staff was extremely nice and helpful.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

This hotel is right on the bay providing a beautiful view if you get a room on the bay side. Check-in was smooth and friendly. The owner even called us and personally invited my wife and I on a ride on his boat to show us around the bay. The room was clean and serviced each day (we would always leave the service room hanger on the door when we left). The hotel provided us a bottle of wine as a gift to celebrate our honeymoon. The hotel was built in the 70s but couldn't ask for better service and hospitality.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Irishsilk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

When we first arrived we got started on a somewhat sour note as the on line booking was incorrect. My first thought was, "Oh no! This is not how I wanted my vacation to start out." However, after some debate and confusion our needs were definitely met. Great sunset views, clean room and service, great continental breakfast. I highly recommend!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

The entrance to the hotel was horrible. Parking lot was busted up macadam. The lobby and breakfast room were fine. Good variety of food. The staff was helpful. We told the maid to wait until we returned from breakfast before cleaning the room and she never did anything. No beds made, no towels. We had to call the desk to get a new supply of towels. The bathroom was a joke! Only a tub and comode, but you had to practically sit on the comode in order to close the door. For the price you pay, it was definately not worth it. Would not stay there again. Also, room above us was extremely nosy each morning around 2:00. Told the staff, but nothing was done.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
mississippi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

We stayed at this roach-infested motel for 2 days. When we arrived, we received the wrong room, and the front desk attendant went to check and make sure we had the right room. Even after she checked the room to make sure it was correct and it wasn't, she said that it was. Well, it was not what we confirmed on the phone 2 months prior to our trip and she said that "NO ROOMS ARE GUARANTEED". What is a confirmation for and why did they hold our credit card for 2 months? That, to me, is a guarantee.
False advertisement is what it is, to a TEE!!
After we checked out, we found out that instead of re-imbursing us for some of our troubles, we were charged the re-imbursement fee and then I was charged a fee on top of that from my credit card company for going over my limit, thanks to these fine people at (THE INN).
I will never stay anywhere close to this place again and it is all because of a lousy piece of crap that worked the front desk on the day of check-in. Destin is my home but they have made it Very Difficult for me to EVER stay in DESTIN AGAIN. All of the staff should be fired. No wonder all of the foreigners have taken over 3/4 of the hotel industry. At least they know what they are doing.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn on Destin Harbor? Share your experiences!