“Too Many Chairs!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 57 Specialty Lodging in Destin
Indiana
“Too Many Chairs!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2008

We booked our room at the Terrace through VRBO. The Terrace is another tower on the grounds of the Resorts of Pelican Beach. Staying at either tower entitles you to use of all amenities at either tower. Let me begin by saying I have stayed at many resorts---a resort this is not. Do not be deceived by the website which advertises a tiki bar (a slushie hut which adds alcohol to drinks from a machine), the bakery/ice cream shop is actually a convenience store which does make great french fries, and the pools are a bit small for the amount of bodies that are housed in these two towers. I felt the whole place including our condos bathrooms needed a good pressure wash!
The biggest complaint was the amount of chairs on the beach. At high tide the attendant literally covered every available space on the beach with the rental chairs marked with reserved signs and both sides of the beach were posted with private beach signs for the adjacent properties (with nearly empty beaches!). We were traveling with our three children (8,9,12) and another couple with smaller children (3,4,9) and had great difficulty finding a place to plop our belongs and dig a hole or build a sandcastle.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2008

The resorts of Pelican Beach tend to be one of the more reasonable Condos to stay in Destin. We rented a 6th floor one-bedroom unit right on the beach without reservations. Each unit is individually owned but the front desk folks know who does a better job of keeping up which units.

The one-bedroom units are not large but this unit (615) was very well decorated and neat as a pin. The indoor-outdoor pool was actually warm enough to use in early March. The small hot tub right on the beach is always crowded. They have installed new gas grills for the season (bring your own utensils and grill brush).

Other reviews pointed out the number of beach chairs on the beach. That is because of beach erosion (which they are addressing) and the fact that the beach area for the two high-rises is rather narrow. The adjoining properties will put up signs warning Pelican Beach guests not to use "their" beach. That is why I like to stay here in the off-season.

Staff is friendly and helpful. The location is close to downtown Destin but it can be a bear to try to exit left onto US 98 (we have to turn right then make a U-Turn). Overall, a very satisfying stay.

• Liked — Beach front location, heated indoor-outdoor pool, steam room/sauna
  • Disliked — traffic
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Ga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2008

My friend and I drove down from Atlanta the end of February to use a condo coupon that my husband bought at a silent auction for Pelican Beach resort. We picked a beautiful wkend, and had a great time even if it was only for 2 nights. However, I was missing some jewelry from my bag when I returned from my trip. So be sure to lock up valuables when you visit this place. Or at least, leave them at home. By the way, I have contacted the resort about this....we know it happened the last night while we were at dinner. They didn't touch the computer, just the bracelets.

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — Having my jewerly stolen
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Southeastern IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2007

We booked a top floor, 1BDR, 2 bath through VRBO.com. This was our second stay at Pelican Beach. This room overlooks the Gulf and you could see for miles east and west, up and down the beach and south into the Gulf of Mexico. The staff was helpful in getting my wife hooked up to an internet line. The condo included a nicely equipped kitchen. We really enjoyed our stay here as we love the Destin area and this condo sets right in the middle of Destin. Big Kahuna waterpark is just up the street a short walk away. You're very close to several restaurants and shopping. The pool is on the east side of the hotel, so it is in the shadow of the condo in the afternoon. You can rent beach chairs daily or weekly on the white sands of Destin's beaches at the end of the beachwalk. There is a sun porch on the gulf side of the condo for the tanners. Covered parking is a big plus here too. We also appreciated the washer/dryer right across the hall from the room. We've stayed here twice now, so we would stay here again as the location is hard to beat. We heard some people complaining about having to wait for elevators, but that never seemed to be an issue for us. The balcony was a great place to spend the evening, providing privacy and a nice place to relax while listening to the surf below.

Be careful when you book. Their sister resort is called the Terrace at Pelican Beach. While I'm sure they are nice, you'll have about a 200 yard walk across a parking lot to the gulf. Pelican Beach is on the beach.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Paducah, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2007

The condo did have a great view. The big problem I had was.....not any room if you brought your own chairs. The beach set-up people totally take over the beach!!!! I have stayed in MANY condos and have never seen anything like it. Absolutely no room for anyone else. I will not return to Pelican Beach because of it! If you bring your own beach chairs with you and are not interested in renting then Pelican Beach is not for you!

• Liked — The view from balcony.
  • Disliked — No room on the beach
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Marrero, La
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

We stayed at the resort in late August. I was a little concerned about the complaints with the beach and pool size, though. I can see how they would be an issue during peak season but it was not very crowded while we were there. We had a Pelican view room on the second floor near the pool. The carpet in the bedrooms was absolutely disgusting and the outlet in the master bath didn't work. Other than that the condo was prettty nice. My biggest complaint was the noise factor. It was as if someone opened our balcony door without us knowing. The pool closes at 10 p.m. and other guests don't always observe this. We were traveling with my four year old and 5 month old, we don't appreciate loud laughter and screaming at 11 o'clock at night. The first night I called the front desk at 11 and they said that security would clear the pool. They did. For the rest of the nights the noise ended at 10.
We loved the fact that we never had to wait for an elevator and that luggage carts were always available. Also, the short distance to the pool and beach is a bonus when traveling with kids. There are bathrooms very near the pool and the baby pool is adorable. The staff was very accomodating.
I would return again in the off-season.

• Liked — Easy beach access
  • Disliked — The unit was a little rundown.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2007

This was our second visit to Destin - we stumbled upon it on New Years day 2005 by accident. My husband and I have ben lucky enough to travel around the US quite a bit over the last few yearsand I chose it as the place I would most like to spend my 40th birthday
No one we know has heard of Destin, so the resort is a great getaway for us, we didnt hear a single English accent the whole time we were there (6 days) and met some nice people who were curious about us and where we're from. It's a very American resort
As for the Pelican Beach - this was the first time we had rented a condo, we normally choose hotels. We had a 1 bedroom condo on the 2nd floor - were amazed at the size !
Every room was furnished nicely, bearing in mind that the owners have no idea what type of person stays there. I have no complaints - everywhere was clean, everything worked, nothing was broken
The view from the balcony was just fabulous, right on the beach - i didnt realise just how beautiful the beach was the first time we found Destin, and because we stayed in May this time, it wasnt too crowded, though to get a space right by the waters edge wiould mean getting up v. early
I have no complaints about the staff - we tended to be up and out very early in the morning - thats jet lag for you! - and didnt return until later in the evening so we hardly saw any staff to be honest, just check in and check out. Both of which were quick and unfussy
Overall, a fabulous holiday, we will return to Destin next year - it really is my favourite place - we will stay at the Pelican Beach Resort again - I would recommend it to anyone, dont listen to the negative comments - you cant expect to have every home comfort and for everything be exactly as you want it. Chill out, you're on holiday...

• Liked — Beautiful beach views - dolphins swimming along the shoreline
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Resorts of Pelican Beach? Share your experiences!