“Stay somewhere else” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Stay somewhere else”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2006

I was at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort And Spa from 24-Apr-2006 to 26-Apr-2006. This was in connection with a business conference at this hotel.

I stayed at the Hiltons Honor floor (14th), which was apparently the older part of the resort. I paid in advance online using the Hilton webpage. When I got there, I found that the place was undergoing renovation. I agree that the place desperately needs it.

I found the room to be large with a fridge, and microwave. The view was great, since I had the beachfront view, but , the carpet was musty, the decor was old fashioned and the wicker furniture was dirty.

I found someone else’s clothes in one of the drawers. I fully expected someone to at least come in and take them away after I reported it. No one ever did and when I complained at the front desk , the clerk shrugged and said, “ Sometimes, people leave things and the cleaning staff leave it there in case they come back.” Oh, well...

As a Hilton Honors member, I also had complimentary Continental breakfast buffet coupons. Note that if you do get the full breakfast buffet , you are charged the difference. I never got to use the coupons. I asked the host at the Sandcastles Restaurant if I could just take a boxed breakfast ( bagel or muffin) as I was running late for a meeting. I was told that the Café did not have boxes. This is the first ever restaurant to my knowledge without takeout boxes.

Roomservice was the worst for the price they charged. The food was cold, quality was poor and presentation was nil for a $45 meal for 1 person.

Overall, the spa and Seagar's Prime Steaks & Seafood was excellent. Everything else was of dismal quality. They also charge $8 for parking/day and more for valet parking.

The bottom line is, it’s a good place to visit for the spa or dine only in Seagar’s if you are willing to spend a lot but otherwise, do not stay at the hotel.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2006

I returned last night after 5 days at the Hilton. I have to say, it certainly wasn't worth the price of the trip. I actually found the cost to be insulting.

I am not a novice traveler. I have stayed at many resorts in the Carribbean, Mexico and Florida. I was a Florida resident for several years and my mother owns a travel agency. I'm assuming many travelers that have reviewed this resort either have a business expense account or are far more wealthy than the average American because I value a "good deal" when I travel. I choose not to spend a fortune on the room, but search out a nice place on a nice beach. I then proceed to spend my money on "the fun stuff". That was definately not the case here.

The positives: beautiful beach. Large white sand area that if you choose to walk east, you can walk more than a mile past a nature reserve. Rooms: ( at $359 per nite) we stayed in a junior suite. The room was large and had an ocean view. It had 2 sinks, a hairdryer, iron, ironing board and in room safe. We also had a small refridgerator, microwave which we stocked immediately. The room was definatly fine. It wasn't gorgeous, but was fine and I have no complaints with it.

The negatives: the PRICES of everything! When you arrive at the Hilton, you will be informed that there is a parking charge of $8.00 per day. It's not like you have a choice but they still add it to your bill. If you allow the valet to park your car for you, the price is $18.00 per day. We rarely ate anything on site. We did pay $40.00 for 2 medium Pizza Hut pizzas that are made on site. The hotel is generous enough to tack on an 18% tip to the Hilton employee who carries them to you. Did I mention that this hotel is on the beach? Well if you'd like to sit on a chair instead of directly on the sand you can RENT a beach chair that's already standing on the beach. Price- $32.00. I took walks instead. The breakfast buffet was $16.00 pp. Dinner on the weekend ( buffet ) was $30.00pp. I paid $5.35 for an ice cream cone. There is an outlet mall across the street. If you'd like to ride a Hilton bus instead of getting in your car, that's $10.00 per person. I could go on ...

There were problems with housekeeping. Our housekeeper didn't arrive until 5:30 most days. We once asked a housekeeper we saw in the hall for toilet paper. We were told "Sorry, that's not my room"..We also saw problems with the elevator, sharing with huge carts, etc.

Would I stay there again? Absolutely not. Not there, not any other Hilton. Paris can make her clubbing money from someone else but I will never pay so much to feel so ho hum about a room again. For the price of that 5 days, my husband and I could have done an all inclusive in Tulum.

• Stayed May 2006
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2006

Pros:
The Hilton has a lot of pros. The room was great - everything was clean and the room was in good condition. I normally have a terrible time getting to sleep in hotel rooms, but the bed was so comfortable I was out like a light! My room had a great view of the beach - one morning I was sitting out on the balcony and got to see a pod of dolphins swimming past!

The staff is very friendly. The free resort tram is a great plus - you can take the shuttle over to the restaurants and bars at Baytowne Wharf and not worry about driving home! The pool appeared to be very clean and well maintained (although I did not have time to get in). The gym is also state of the art - every machine has a small flat screen TV for you to watch while you workout. The gym is free, but it is $20 + tax to use the wet room facilities.

Con:
I had trouble getting the high speed internet to work in my room which was $9.95 for 24-hours. I called the help line (1-800 number) and they were able to determine it as a problem with the modem. They told me they would send someone right up to look at the modem and replace it. I called at 3:00 PM, and by the time I checked out the next morning, no one called me and no one ever showed up to fix it.

So one minor glitch in what was otherwise a very pleasant stay! I wish that we could have stayed longer so I could have enjoyed more of the hotel's amenities!

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2006

We just got back from a wonderful stay at the Hilton Sandestin. It was a family vacation, 2 kids 3 and 6. The room was excellent with a wonderful view of the ocean, it was a junior suite with a king (the bed and bedding were outstanding) and a bunk bed in an alcove of sorts. The room was very clean as was the entire hotel. I found the staff to be very friendly and accomodating. The pools were great, lunch at the grill was very good and not as pricey as I had expected. The big surprise was the beach. You could not tell that there had been a hurricane, it was as advertised. I use a credit card/debit card and had no issues at the hotel, the room had high speed internet access only 10 bucks a day. I would highly recommend this resort. The only suggestion would be a kids club that would accomodate younger children as their club starts at age 5.

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2006

We (family of three - two adults and a 7-yr-old) stayed six nights at the Hilton Sandestin (04/15/06 through 04/20/06) on a 175,000 points Silver VIP Hilton Honors reward certificate - what a rip-off!

We made our reservation three months in advance by telephone, booking a non-smoking (two family members have asthma), beach-view junior suite. When we arrived we were taken to a cloudy, uncleaned smoking room (note: we had presented our printed confirmation for a non-smoking, beach view room at check-in.) We immediately called the front desk, asking to be taken to our non-smoking room, only to be told there were none available After having to demand to talk with a supervising manager (the very inexperienced Hilton Honors desk clerk had been downright rude to us), we were finally given a small, parking lot-view, non-smoking room on the second floor (high traffic area - near the conference center rooms, across the hall from the elevators, and next door to the housekeeping storeroom) that first night -- and were told we would be contacted by the hotel's general manager the following morning & would be moved to a non-smoking beach-view room at that time. Never happened; we ended up stuck in that room for six long nights.

The biggest problem this hotel seems to have is that the average age of its staff appears to be around 21 years old, if that. Additionally, from the front desk staff to the childcare workers to the bellhops & housekeeping staff - all demonstrated little understanding of/concern for satisfactory customer service. The only hotel staff who demonstrated knowledge of their jobs and of the local area were the very helpful & mature concierge staff (each was very pleasant to talk with, too.)

The buildings themselves were in various stages of renovation; power saws grinding and hammers banging were constant background noises throughout the daytime hours. Previous reviewers here have commented how the elevators were shared by patrons and hotel staff/construction workers alike - this was still the case during our stay (some elevators have construction drop cloths hanging on their walls & have no finished flooring in them.) All three pools (two outside & one indoors), however, were in very good shape. And, the white sand beach was in very good condition, too.

The various dining accommodations throughout the hotel appeared to be nice; however, we did not dine at any of them (prices were very expensive.) We dined at some delicious mid-priced Destin eateries (ie, Osaka Japanese restaurant, The Crab Trap), as well as some 'chain' restaurants (IHOP, Pizza Hut, Outback.) We also enjoyed some tasty seafood poolside at The Barefoot @ the Hilton on one day of our stay (highly priced, though.)

For families seeking entertainment options, we suggest visiting the Gulfarium in nearby Ft. Walton Beach (a short drive just west of Destin) - lots of dolphins, sea lions, penguins, etc. Also, don't miss the Southern Star dolphin cruise at sunset; we saw over a dozen wild dolphins on our excursion (including a one-week old baby with its mother!) Another reviewer here mentioned visiting the Sandestin Resort across the street on the north side of Route 98; we definitely agree! The village there is quite enjoyable, complete with live music, dining, and boutique shopping - plus, a beautiful view of Choctawhatchee Bay down at the marina.

All in all, our trip to Destin, FL was enjoyable, and we would like to return there again next year. But, at this point, it is not likely we will choose to stay at the Sandestin Hilton again.

Quincy, Il
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2006

We just returned from a 3 night stay at the Hilton Sandestin Beach and Golf Resort. 04/13/06-04/16/06. Everything was great and the staff was accomidating. We booked our room online on their website and got a good AARP rate of 134.00. An earlier review mentioned there were a lot of kids. The spring breakers were gone, but there were families with small children which didn't bother us. We like kids and this is to be expected over Easter holiday. We stayed on the 1st floor of the Spa Tower which was a short walk to the pool and beach. We would definately stay at this resort again.

Dierks, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2006

The Hilton was more than we bargained for. It is an older hotel, but well kept and maintained. The beach is beautiful, which is why we keep coming back to Destin year after year. The pool area is very nice. The outside pools are heated as is the inside pool. The Picnix deli is very handy, serving Starbucks coffee, Ben and Jerry's ice cream, Pizza Hut pizza, sandwiches, donuts, etc. We did not eat at the other onsite restaurants, but they looked very enticing. The room was very clean. We stayed in a Jr. Suite. It was twice the size of a normal room. It had a king bed (very comfortable), a sofa sleeper, a separate bunk bed area (which the kids loved), a microwave, a refridgerator, two seperate vanity sinks, a wet bar sink, and a nice balcony. Our balcony overlooked the pool and had a nice beach view. Make sure that you go across the highway (98) to the Villages of Baytowne Wharf. This is a very neat village containing shops and restaurants. This was our first stay at the Hilton, and we will be staying here again next year on our visit.

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!