“Way over priced” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Dayton, United States
“Way over priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Beautiful location, beautiful views, but ugly on the pocket book. I have stayed in resorts in Hawaii that cost a little less, but offered way more amenities; free parking and free bottled water to name a few. Food at resort was way over priced; cheese burger w/ jalapenos and guac was $15! If you don't mind a resort were you have to pay for everything, including over priced rooms, this is a great place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Decatur, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Bellhops and housekeeping were very nice. Everyone else seemed burdened by being asked anything.

Also, King bed was brutal from a support standpoint - they were nice in trying to fix it but it still was bad.

People in shops and stores around Destin were rude as well.

Not a friendly place.

We will not return to this hotel or resort - I advise the same.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HSBGeneralManager, General Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Oakhurstain,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us here at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa.

I am pleased to hear that you encountered a helpful and friendly bell men and housekeeping staff. However, I am equally surprised to hear the remaining staff as well as the Destin area vendors did not treat you as hospitable as we have been known for along the panhandle of Florida. On behalf of the Hilton Sandestin and as an advisory board member of the chamber of commerce for Walton County you have my utmost and sincerest apology.

Please feel free to contact me so that we can discuss this further. I would also like to know which room you specifically stayed in so we may replace the mattress.
Thank you again for your comments and we hope you reconsider you decision of not returning to the area.

Kind regards,

HILTON SANDESTIN BEACH GOLF RESORT & SPA
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Literally ON the beach ... check! 3 pools (one indoor) ... check! Bunk beds for the kids .... check!!! Stellar service .... check! What more could you ask for?

Had a great long-weekend stay here in mid-April. Can not wait to go back!

The hotel is a bit tricky to find if you’re not familiar with the area. A GPS won’t pick up some of the streets in this new resort area, but maybe we were just freaking out because we arrived during a thunderstorm and we had been driving for far too long. Either way, you’ll come across it if you just follow the shoreline.

Check in was quick, bellman were quick. We self-parked because the hotel property isn’t that big so we didn’t see the need for the valet. It was actually very convenient as there are several entrances to the building and you can park near the one that’s closest to “your” elevators.

The room was probably the nicest and most well designed room for families we’ve ever stayed in. There were bunk beds for the kids (with a separate TV!) which they loved. The only downside was they’re right next to the room’s door so hallway noise might disturb light sleepers. After a day on the beach my kids sleep like rocks so this wasn’t a problem for us, but it’s worth mentioning. Microwave, fridge, coffee maker and counter area were all great to have. (There are PLENTY of stores in the area so you can stock up on snacks and beverages to keep in the room.) Full bathrooms with an additional separate sink/mirror outside the bathroom are so convenient when traveling with kids. We had a really nice balcony with a gorgeous view of the beach. We were on the 13th floor, but I noticed that some of the ground-floor rooms had patios that led right out to the pool/deck area which would also be great. The beds were a bit worn in (certainly not the new Hilton beds we’re used to), but they were fine. New, fresh linens and nice, new pillows make it easy to forgive the older mattresses.

Sandcastles, the main restaurant had a nice buffet breakfast. All the usual fare. It was very busy a few mornings we were there and they kept it full and clean without any issues. The one downside was the horrible coffee. Just plain awful all three mornings we were there. Are the Starbucks people sneaking in at night and messing with the coffee to drum up business?? If they are it’s working, we headed straight to Starbucks every morning AFTER breakfast. Not sure of the price as we are Hilton Diamond so breakfast is included in our rate, but I have read here that some people find it pricey. As I said, you could easily prepare a fine breakfast in your room without a problem. We also grabbed dinner there one night (couldn’t pry the kids out of the pool to go out for dinner) and it was very good. A slight notch above the usually hotel “lobby restaurant” food in my opinion. Service was excellent for both breakfast(s) and dinner. We had a nice conversation with the Assistant Manager, Rebecca Resse. She was very hospitable and especially attentive to my daughters. She mentioned she’s in school to become a teacher and judging by the way she treated the children in the restaurant she’ll be a great one! The “grab and go” market by the pool had nice sandwiches and kids’ foods with RELATIVELY reasonable prices.

The beach is gorgeous. We drove to the hotel so we had all of our own beach “stuff”, but even if you don’t I would suggest a quick trip to any of the beach shops, dollar stores or Target on the main road to grab some gear. Not only are the Hilton chairs/umbrellas expensive, but they’re uncomfortable and WAY too close together. For the price of one day’s rental you can get chairs, umbrella and toys for your entire stay. (Not to mention it's ridiculous that beach chairs at a beach resort cost additional to use! Enough with the nickel and diming, we're already paying to park for crying out loud!)

The hotel is in a fantastic location, convenient to all the local attractions and about a million restaurants and stores, but still feels removed from all the “hub-bub” of the main road.

The service was awesome, exactly what you would expect form a Hilton resort. I must mention Demi Dixon (I hope I remembered that correctly) who’s a bellman. My daughter lost her loose tooth in the ocean and was very upset that the Tooth Fairy might not find her at the hotel or reward her since the tooth was lost. We went to the bellman desk to ask for an envelope so we could leave a note and a little seashell (which we convinced my daughter would be an acceptable substitute for the actual tooth) for Ms. T.Fairy. When we explained to him what happened he went out back to get an envelope. While he was gone he created a contact in his iPhone for “Tooth Fairy”. When he returned he showed my daughter the contact in his phone (when did 8yr olds become so tech-savvy???) and told her he would text the Tooth Fairy to let her know about the situation. You’ve never seen a happier, more relieved child than my daughter after he showed her that. I don’t know if this bellman has a bunch of younger siblings or if he’s got the hospitality business in his blood, but Hilton should do WHATever they can to keep him on staff. You can’t teach that kind of above-and-beyond service!

All in all a really great stay. I would recommend this resort to anyone, especially families.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms with patios by the pool deck seem VERY convenient for families with beach/poo...
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Visited the Hilton Sandestin for four nights last week (April 6-10). We were offered an upgrade to a Beachview Junior Suite, which was perfect for our family of three. We really enjoyed getting up every morning to the view and sound of the waves. We enjoyed lunch at the pool one day and found the food to be competitively priced and delicious. The hotel staff was extremely professional and the property was clean and in great shape for an older Hilton. In our opinion, you can't beat the location, right on a beautiful section of beach! We also enjoyed being able to ride our bikes throughout the Sandestin property. Lovely stay.....we would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Check out the junior suites with the bunk alcove!
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We purchased a family suite for 5 nights staying here with children ages 7 adn 9. The hotel and property were ok but not what I expect from a Hilton or a resort. The property is so large you are a captive audience with limited options for food. the breakfast buffet is very expensive and no different than what you could get from a road side hotel that includes breakfast - except here they make your waffle for you.
The biggest complaint I have is that the staff were sort of friendly but didn't exactly try to help - we visited the activities desk a number of times asking for info about renting bikes, other restaurants, kayaks etc and each time I had to probe and probe to get the info I needed. I only got what I needed because i had done some research already and was able to ask a lot of very specific questions. Once I even had to ask them directly to give me a phone number for the kayak rental that is actually on the property - most hotels would offer to call and make arrangements for you.
Then there were just lots of little things that made this hotel a mediocre experience - housekeeping didn't remove dirty glasses or leave clean glasses - i had to call one evening to get them to do that. The bed was horribly uncomfortable with our heads actually slightly below our feet. the TV in the kids area was poor quality with fuzzy reception and the remote did not work. I had pre-ordered on line extra towels and foam pillows but neither were in the room or ever brought to us. The kids program is extremely expensive so we did not take advantage of it.
We won't return to this area, not just because of the hotel but the overall setting was not very friendly. The Sandestin property is huge and once we did our own investigating we found several things to keep us all having fun but the property staff did not help us find any of it. The little fake town they call Baytowne Wharf was entertaining for the kids but all of the restaurants were expensive and the seafood was poor - in Florida we were hoping to have good seafood. The biggest issue was that on more than one occasion we had staff in the stores treat us rudely or act put out when we asked a question. it all added up to a feeling that everyone was going through the motions but not really into the customer service one expects from a resort or any other business. In the end we enjoyed ourselves but only because we were together and made our own fun. We've been here once, but we won't be back and I would encourage families who get precous little time together to look elsewhere.

Marietta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

My rating is more like 3.5 star. Visited Hilton Sandestin for three nights. As Diamond Hilton Honors member, we were allowed to check in early and our room was upgraded. However, it seemed exactly the same as booked. What an awesome location, right on the beach. Umbrellas cost extra, about $45 for full day. The crowd was mostly families. Whirlpool and heated outdoor pool were enjoyable.There are three restaurants on the property. The breakfast is really good, a bit pricey though. Our room had bunk beds which the kids were really excited about. However, they were so close to the front door that any light sleepers would get zero sleep. The main reasons for 3.5 star rating is sub-par housekeeping service and sagging beds. None of these were even close to Hilton standards. We had to request regular service because maids were no show! Sandestin is a great resort though with apparently a wide variety of accommodation choices.

• Stayed April 2013
HSBGeneralManager, General Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear OzSarkoz,

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your past stay with us here at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa.

In regards to the cleanliness of your room, first allow me to apologies for the inconvenience. I would highly recommend in the future if we have not met your expectations or inadvertently missed something in your room to please notify us immediately so we have the opportunity to correct the matter and keep you pleased in the process. Our staff does work very hard to clean the rooms and then a second person will inspect guest rooms.

Our staff is extremely committed and proud of hosting our guests’ stay insuring that they return year over year. We hope that you will return and see for yourself that your comments are important and we do take steps to address them with the hotel staff.

Once again, thank you for sharing your information as it was invaluable to our success.

Lincoln, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

My family recently stayed at this resort over Spring Break. We are Hilton Grand Vacation Club owners and have only ever stayed at a Hilton Grand resort. We have been very pleased with all the other resorts where we have stayed, however this resort has some things to be desired. The rooms were average. We stayed in the Jr. Deluxe Suite oceanfront. It was a great view with two bunk beds for the children but very little space for their luggage and nowhere for them to store their things. The tiny shelves under the tv was not enough when you are staying a week. The room was clean but the air conditioning didn't work properly. After already moving rooms due to excessive noise beside us, we decided to just deal. Thank goodness it was only 74 degrees outside. Otherwise we would have been moving again. The trash cans in the room are very small. Not large enough if you are using the small efficiency kitchen. Our trash was flowing over the top. The beach was beautiful, but be sure to get down there by 9:00 if you want to reserve a good spot on the beach. The beach was crowded due to it being Spring Break. Even though we paid for two chairs and an umbrella people were still rude enough to sit right in front of our rental. The pools are nice but could use a daily clean. There weren't many people in them but there was still a scum floating around the edge. The thing that frustrated us the most about the pools were that people would get their towels and put them on beach chairs to save their spot that they may never use that day. If you weren't down there by 7:00 a.m. then you weren't getting a seat by the pool. The restaurants were average, however the resort could use a larger lounge area for those who want to eat inside or when it rains. Overall we enjoyed our stay however probably won't be coming back. We will stick to the Hilton Grand resorts where we can stay in a two to three bedroom condo with more than one bathroom.

• Stayed April 2013
HSBGeneralManager, General Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear RavensChic,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us here regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa. I would agree with your comment regarding our luggage space being smaller than a Hilton Grand resort. We typically cater to guest staying with us on average three to four days, which we have adequate closet space to accommodate. However, all of our rooms are equipped with Armoires and numerous drawers to accommodate folded garments.
We did encounter our busiest spring break on record this year and as such our pools and beaches were filled to capacity. Due to the large volume of guest we experienced this season we did monitor our pools cleanliness and chemicals every 45 minutes versus the state required every one hour. We also have state certified pool operators on schedule during the hours our pools are open.
In the future if you encounter difficulty acquiring a pool side lounger please feel free to ask one of our many poolside attendants to assist you. We will be more than happy to accommodate any of your requests.
Once again, thank you for your comments and I hope we have the opportunity to host you and your family again in the near future.

GARY BRIELMAYER I General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Destin
Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach
Candlewood Suites Destin - Miramar Beach
Courtyard Sandestin at Grand Boulevard
Hampton Inn & Suites Destin
Residence Inn Sandestin at Grand Boulevard
Wingate by Wyndham Destin

Been to Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!