“Nickel & dime you from the start! $10 per day to use the parking lot! Front desk staff rude & unhelpful!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa

Offers & Announcements
2X Points in Destin!
Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Destin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011 via mobile

We wanted to upgrade our room. We were told to call on the am of check in. When we called the front desk at 10:20 am the girl (Brittany) told she was checking in to it & put us hold for 8 mins. Someone else then answer the phone ( Susan) who explained that Brittany was busy with other customers & ( she apparently just left us on hold). Susan then transferred us to the in house reservations ext. Susan was very rude when we asked why we were left on hold, & that we thought Brittany was checking into rooms for us. The 2 chairs & umbrella on the beach cost $40 here daily vs the usual rate of $20-$25. The room service trays sit in the hallway all day without being picked up. Customer service & value are definitely not on the top of this hotels list. PS I've never complained about a hotel of this standard before.

• Stayed June 2010
HiltonSandestinBeach, Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us here at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa regarding your previous stay.

The experience that you shared certainly does not reflect the standards that we strive to attain and for which we’ve been known for 27 years. I sincerely apologize for your unfortunate experience, as we pride ourselves in delivering professional service. I have shared your concerns and feedback with the appropriate departments in order to prevent this type of situation from taking place in the future. Your feedback is very much appreciated, as it allows us to continue to better our service and offerings.

Regarding beach and umbrella rentals, I would like to add that our rates are competitive for the Sandestin area. Should you join us in the future, I encourage you to visit our website or call our Recreation department for the latest information regarding costs and availability. Our guests and their experience at the Resort are very important to us, so thank you for sharing your feedback. If we can help with anything further, please do not hesitate to contact me at 850-267-9500.

Again, I thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We hope to have the opportunity of hosting you again at the Hilton Sandestin Beach.

Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

I booked two rooms online at Hilton in Sandestin. I paid the Beachview rate but instead got two partial view rooms. When confronted the front desk the reply was our general manager decided that!! Then the front desk manager (Susan --) became unprofessional and rude when I told her there is no way I was going to pay extra for the view I didn't get. That is obviously deceptive on the Hilton's Manager who uses this marketing tactic. I contacted the Guest Services at Hilton and my Am Ex representative and I am sure it will be straighten out. For the hotel it is not as clean as I thought and they try to nickel and dime you to death. The staff other than front desk were nice.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort and Spa. Our guests’ feedback is appreciated and allows us to continue to better our service and offerings.

We’ve carefully reviewed your online reservations and see that the rooms were indeed beach-view room types. We sincerely apologize if there was a misunderstanding as to your perception of the room type reserved. Please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 850-267-9500, should you have any further questions regarding our various room types.

Again, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. I hope we have the opportunity of hosting you again at the Hilton Sandestin Beach soon.

Management
Houston, Texas USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

Many years ago my family visited Destin every summer and rented condos or beach houses in the area. The kids are grown now so our group decided to stay in a hotel this year. The rooms have a mini fridge and small microwave. Sleeping with the sounds of the gulf is priceless. The Hilton is well located for golf and restaurants, the rooms are huge, the beach is steps away, and the pools are inviting. The staff is mostly energetic young people. Parking is $10 a day, which seems quite reasonable. $41 a day to rent a beach umbrella and 2 chairs seems high since many people just bring their own.
We watched manta rays racing up and down the beach from our room every day and thought they were stingrays. Manta rays are not dangerous, apparently. Bring binoculars because several people said they could see sea turtles.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011 via mobile

My wife and my 4 year old recently spent 3 nights at the Hilton Sandestin. Upon check in we were upgraded to a two double bed suite which had a bunk bed and mini tv area for my son. The rest of the room was huge with two double beds and an ample sitting area. The balcony looked out onto the beautiful crystal blue water of the Gulf. The room had clearly been renovated recently. The resort has a private beach area which has ample seating area. We did not want to spend $50 per day for chair rentals, so we brought our own and it was no problem. It was unseasonably cold while we were there, but we were very happy to find that the pools are heated and even in high 60 low 70 degree weather, they are still plenty warm enough to swim in. The service at the outdoor grill and bar were great and waiting on food and drinks were minimal. There is also a starbucks and a quick eat place right by the pool inside the hotel that serves sandwiches, pizza, and Edy's ice cream. My favorite part about this resort were the people working there. It is by far the friendliest resort I have stayed at in sometime and for that, my wife and I booked another weekend in August for our anniversary. If you are going to Destin, I recommend staying at the Hilton!

• Stayed May 2011
Mooresville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

My husband and I travel to Destin every year for the last 16 years. The beaches here are beautiful with the white sand and the food is amazing. Before we booked this trip, I read all of the reviews and I thought the Hilton was going to be nice but much to my disappointment it was NOT. They said they did 6.5 million dollars worth of renovation.. I must of missed it. The rooms are dated and run down. The remote to the TV did not work so we called to get another and the second one only worked if you stood up and got within one inch of the set. Our toilet would only flush every other time and you needed to stand and hold the lever the entire flush. The hair dryer only worked if held the cord. The tiles in the bathroom were
broken and the wallpaper ripped. This place is a dive!! The worst Hilton I have ever stayed at in my life. I thought they put me in a Motel 6. We payed more than $400 a night and trust me it would be a stretch if it were worth $200. Trust me people there are much better less expensive places to stay. Destin is awesome... But FIND A BETTER PLACE TO STAY.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
HiltonSandestinBeach, Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 29, 2011
Lake-living11, Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your past stay with us at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort and Spa.

The experience that you shared certainly does not reflect the standards that we strive to attain, and I sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns. I may be reached at 850-267-9500.

Gary Brielmayer
houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

My family and I were really looking forward to this trip to Destin. The beaches are beautiful, and the area is surrounded by tons of shops and restaurants. The outside of the hilton is beautiful. Lush green landscaping, and the outside pool and beach area is well maintained. The new Poolside restaurant is well equipped with a nice full bar, flat screen tv's etc...The food and drinks are EXTREMELY overpriced though. While we were there they were repairing the indoor pool so we didn't get to use that. The pool area is great and is meant to handle large crowds because there are a ton of lounge chairs. Again, you can tell that the Hilton spends a lot of money outdoors. HOWEVER, when I got to my room I was highly disappointed! The hallways are old and need serious updating. They are gloomy and uninviting. Not up to par with what you would expect from a property that uses 50,000 points a night for HHonors members! I was upgraded to a junior suite that had bunkbeds for the kids and it is a really nice size. All rooms also have a balcony with a small table and two chairs which is great for those sunsets. The bathrooms were old and was really showing its wear and tear. The wallpaper needs to be replaced, as well as areas around the tub, floor and ceiling. The carpet is an ugly green and certainly does not give you that 4 or 5 star feel. One night I put the request card on the bed for the sheets to be changed (they were not) but I quickly called the front desk and they sent someone immediately to change the linens. Overall this is a very nice property and with some small repairs and updating, it can really be great. Across the street there is an area called Baytowne Wharf that is exclusive to Hilton and Sandestin Resort guests. There are plenty of good restaurants and some nice boutique shops. Another Broken Egg is good for breakfast and Rum Runners has some great burgers! I give this resort 4 out of 5 stars. If the rooms were updated, this place could easily be 4.5 out of 5. And to pay for self-parking is ridiculous!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

I didn't have a preconceived idea of what to expect from this property. Because of that, I was pleasantly surprised. It was away from the hubbub of the crowds; instead, it linked directly to a charming little village chock full of restaurants, retail locations and bars. You saw lots of families taking in the night air.

The hotel property was very clean, attentive and loaded with amenities.

You will not be disappointed. This property is highly recommended for a business conference.

Room Tip: Get a suite - it is well worth the cost for a baly
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!