“Great time” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Decatur, GA
“Great time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2008

Both my son and I had rooms here for three nights during Thanksgiving week. We travel a lot and are picky, but we were pleased. Cleaning staff did a great job, and the bed in my room was so comfortable that I checked online to find out what kind of mattresses ES uses. Was delighted to learn you can buy
the same mattress which is made by Serta. Both of us requested a room at the opposite end of the hotel from the restaurant/bar and were not bothered by noise. Or noise from adjoining rooms. Enjoyed a free made-to-order omelet, bacon, juice and coffee each morning. And the coffee in the room was actually pretty good, especially if you skipped the powdered creamer and used half and half. Other family members
stayed at a resort down the road, but I felt that by getting the
HH rate at ES, we had comparable accommodations for far
less. Only problem experienced was finding both computers
in business center in use at all times.

• Liked — Location, comfort and cleanliness of room
  • Disliked — Not being able to access computers in business center
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Shreveport, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2008

I'm a big Embassy Suites fan but I hate to say this- this Embassy Suites did not meet up to standard. The biggest issue was the smell. The whole hotel smelled like burnt food all the time. It's like the vent were not working. The room itself was fine-showing a little wear in the bathroom. However, I felt sick most of the time I was there due to the smell- that wafted into the room as well. Also, the breakfast was not the best and does not have much in the way of non-pork and "light" or non sweet offerings. I would not recommend this hotel- until they fix that vent issue unless you are partial to burnt food smell.

• Liked — pretty facade
  • Disliked — burnt smell and not on the beach
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
canton, mi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

What a wonderful vacation thanks to the Embassy Suites, Destin.
Location to the beach was wonderful, everything convenient nearby. The hotel was spotless and the staff was wonderful. Rooms were very nice and quite and the breakfast every morning was wonderful. The lobster sandwich on their menu was the best I have ever tasted. We will return again next year. What a great place for famlies to rest and relax.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Breakfast during the week should be served later than 930am.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

We stayed at the Embassy and had a good time. The hotel staff was wonderful! The friendliest I've experienced in a long time. They went out of their way to be helpful. We were actually allowed to check into our room around 12:15 pm. Happy hour and made to order breakfast make this a great place to stay. However, the hotel needs some updating. For $200 a night, I would like my sinks to drain. I called maintenance about this and it helped a little. Also, molding was missing in places around the bathroom floor, and once our bathroom wasn't wiped down at all. I called the maid service, and they promptly came and cleaned it.

I was worried about walking to the beach with the kids but it was not a problem at all. I have to say the pool is very disappointing. It's small and often crowded. We usually like to go back and forth from the pool to the beach, but during our 5 night stay, I don't think we spent 15 minutes in the pool.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — in need of updates
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

For $210 per night (with tax) for 3 nights, using our AAA discount, this hotel seemed like a good value to us. This is the 2nd time for my wife and our 2 small boys at this hotel. It is a short walk to the beach. Be sure to ask front desk clerk for the beach gate code. This hotel is conveniently located by major restaurant strip, grocery stores, strip malls, etc. We got a basic suite on the 3rd floor facing the atrium. The suite had a bedroom and a living room. There was plenty of room to store our beach stuff without feeling cramped. The mini refrigerator was very convenient for storing drinks and miscellaneous food items. They also have a microwave. Even though there is 1 bathroom, there are 2 addl sinks in the room. The sausage and bacon in the free breakfast buffet didn't look too appetizing (little funky), but they did make good omlettes.

There is a Bruno's grocery store very close by. There is also a CVS pharmacy and liquor store next to Bruno's. There are some pretty good restaurants near by. We were surprised to find a great little authentic Italian restaurant (Called Fat Clemenza's) on Hwy 98. You should check out Baytowne village. It is a very nice and fun outdoor restaurant and entertainment complex. We had a very nice dinner at the Mango's Paradise Grill.

Try not to make too much eye contact with the timeshare people in the lobby (sitting at desk), unless you are shopping for a timeshare. Watch out for the pushy timeshare sales people in the area. They are everywhere.

• Liked — Size of room, mini frig, microwave, proximity to beach, restaurants, grocery store
  • Disliked — No bell captain to greet us and get our luggage when we arrived. Had to get front desk clerk to summon bell capt.
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2008

This hotel is beautiful and very clean. My mom and I were on vacation just the two of us and we felt very safe there. The walk across the street to the beach is very short. You really don't have to know the code for the gate---just stick your hand through and open the door---not a big deal. The breakfast at this hotel is fabulous! I don't usually eat a very big breakfast, but I opted to since it was so delicious! They had build your own omlets, scrambled eggs (they'd fry them to order for you also), bacon, sausage, hashbrowns, pancakes, pastries, bagels, fresh fruit, muffins, cereal, juice, milk, coffee, etc. I found two downsides to this hotel. The first is that the guests on one side of us were very loud. For the length of our trip, there were three different families that stayed in that room and they were all very loud. One night I had finally had enough and called the front desk and they took care of it and things got quiet. The only other downside of this hotel is that the in-room internet access costs $10/24 hrs. There are two computers available in a business center in the lobby, but I find it unacceptable to not offer FREE wi-fi to guests. Otherwise, great experience and would definitely stay here again!

Stayed July 2008
Albuquerque, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2008

I had to leave my rental before leaving the state permanently but things were not quite ready for our departure, so I booked a room for a week at this hotel. It was only $99 nightly because it was in February. Embassy Suites are the "best", this one included. I agree that some can be a bit noisy due to the fact that they have their eating facilities in the Atrium below. This was one. We were on the third floor so it wasn't horrible and during half the stay we had our door opened anyway because it felt so homey and welcoming. Also felt pretty safe since the doors of the rooms all open onto the inside of the hotel and surrounding the atrium. The rooms are large and roomy and accommodated three of us very comfortably.

I would agree though that the staff could use some lessons in "being more pleasant. They don't seem happy (hard to imagine working in Miramar beach --the atmosphere alone brings joy to your soul). They answer questions with one word answers and they DO NOT make eye contact. Even caught one during lunch she was having right at the front desk. She ignored us until she was finished.

Things like that don't really bother me so much (thus the 5 stars anyway), and so despite the not so great staff attitude, I still think that the hotel is awesome. The lobby is breathtaking and although it can get a little noisy it still has an air of peace and tranquility.

The rooms are huge and kept immaculate. The breakfast is AWESOME. Overall, this Embassy Suites ROCKS!!

Also, the area is beautiful. We stayed from November through early February and never tired of the White Sand Beaches, the wonderful area shopping & restaurants, and the helpfulness and friendliness of the local residents and merchants.

• Liked — The room cleanliness and roominess
  • Disliked — Had to pay for Internet Service
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Embassy Suites Destin - Miramar Beach? Share your experiences!