“You should try it” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Denham Springs, Louisiana
“You should try it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Best food and best food value in Crystal Beach Destin area. Very bad web page design. I looked at the menu online and didn't want to go. Maybe it's the brown color of the web page or that it said "Cajun and Seafood". I'm from Louisiana. I didn't want "Cajun" I wanted Floridian food.
We went for a late lunch .I am so glad we did. Most food is NOT Cajun,but it is very good. The staff is "upfront" about their menu choices and restaurant policies. I ordered endless Bellini or mimosas special. I told as soon as I tried to order this,by our waitress,that it ended at 3p.m. so I only had 40 minutes left on the special.
I decided that for only $6.99 if I got one refill it would be a great deal. If I only got one glass it was about the same price as a glass of wine.
We ordered a cup of "Award Winning" Duck & Andouille Gumbo. It was the only thing we ordered that looked "Cajun" to me . We ordered the cuo of gumbo and the Sesame Crusted Seared Tuna as appetizers. Then for lunch a Fillet of Mahi Mahi, and the Salmon Burger which was the lunch special. It was all very good. The seafood was fresh and prepared well. Great value for a meal. Nice ambiance.We dined there again on a Sunday for Brunch and it was very nice. They had a Pianist playing while we ate. The food was very good and the service was great.You should try it.

Visited October 2012

61% Recommend
Ohio
“Overpriced for sub par food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We tried this place for dinner. Appetizer was lobster dip which was horribly over salted to the point that you couldn't eat it. The blackened red snapper was very good as were the mashed potatoes but were overpriced for the portion size. The side order of mixed vegetables was horrible...cooked until almost wilted & had strange seasoning (sage possibly) on it.
The service was okay. The server did not seem surprised when we said the dip was salty & we didn't want to take it with us (it was hardly touched).
The positives were that the view is great (ocean front) & their house specialty drink was great (had Jack Daniels & Bacardi 151 in it).
Its s good place for a beverage but I did not have a desire to go back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
hollywood, fl
“Really disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Have been here many times with friends who know the servers and bartenders. This time I was alone with a guest. I did not expect to be recognized but expected good service. We were there for a few drinks at about 7pm. Only a few patrons were in the bar and outside seating. We had to leave or credit card and told the bartender we were going outside. Two table were occupied as the sun set. We sat at a table and the server asked if we liked to order. No, thank you we are just enjoying our drinks. Well ok, you can sit here was the reply. The bartender too came to the door to see where we went. I am not a kid nor was my guest. I have always taken my drink outside and if not busy sat at ne of the tables. We had several drinks and not once did the bartender say thank you. 790, the season is over , the tourists are gone and you have lost his local from coming back.

• Visited September 2012
Chicago, IL
“bad last minute decision”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We ended up here after finding Sarah K's was closed. It is located on the bottom floor of a hotel, which would be fine, except it just looked old and poorly maintained. The server was nice. I ordered a muffaletta, which was GROSS. I realize we are not in NOLA, but it was not even close. Tons of fatty ham. I couldn't decide if I wanted the half or whole when ordering and mentioned this to the waitress. I said that I wasn't that hungry. I just went with the whole, but she could have mentioned that the whole could feed 8 people! It was double the size of any whole I have had elsewhere. My husband had the crab cake benedict. The crab cake was good, although burnt. The egg, was not poached, but more soft boiled. The yolk was not runny. Also, the bathroom was dirty, which always gives me a bad feeling. I would stay away.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Ohio
“Pretty Good for a last minute choice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

This wasn't our first choice for dinner - but, we had to make due, given circumstances.

790 is in a hotel - which is fine. Still has a great view and the restaurant has an old time, white tablecloth feel to it. Service was so-so. She wasn't very knowledgeable about the menu and seemed kind of out of it. But, we always had drinks so...

We got Hurricane Shrimp, Tuna Dip, Duck Gumbo, Salads, Cheeseburger, Fish Sandwich, Chicken Fried Chicken, Fried Shrimp Platter, another Platter (sorry, it's all running together) and I got the Tilefish - blackened (it was the special).

The Hurricane Shrimp were very good - almost as good as Bonefish's Bang Bang Shrimp!

My tilefish was kind of dry and the sauteed spinach, I got, was horrible.

However - I'd be willing to give it another try (if I had to)

• Visited August 2012