“service and comfort technically better than average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of White Sands Inn & Suites

Save Saved
You added White Sands Inn & Suites to your Saves list
White Sands Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4415 Commons Drive East, Destin, FL 32541 (Formerly Country Inn & Suites Destin)   |
Ranked #26 of 39 hotels in Destin
Columbus, Ohio
“service and comfort technically better than average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

The Country Inn & Suites in Destin, Florida is conveniently located. I loved that I could walk to Publix for groceries, go shopping at the mall, and visit the beach easily from this hotel. Front desk staff were very helpful and friendly. The cookies were not what I expected (I thought they would be fresh baked cookies) but one of the nights a batch of fresh cookies were baked; my family and I really enjoyed this feature. It would be a nice touch if they were fresh baked throughout the day vs the cookie jar of what seemed to be store-bought "just okay" cookies. I booked two rooms to be right next to each other but initially our rooms where divided by the the staircase. Day two of our stay the staff contacted our boys room to indicate they would have to be moved to another room due to work scheduled in the room. Once we went to discuss the changes with the desk staff they ended up giving us a suite and we gave our room to our boys. This hotel is in desperate need of updates. I would still stay here again but I would love to see the interior refreshed by the next time we do. The tired and worn fixtures/decor is the only reason I give this hotel an average review. We booked this room through Priceline name your own price. I initially was a little concerned once the bid was awarded based on the pictures and reviews but end the end we all had a very enjoyable stay at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

65 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
MInneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel is located about 4 blocks from the beach, at walking distance. The hotel is easy to reach when you enter Destin crossing the new bridge. It is surrounded by a nice shopping area and in front of a golf course. You find a Publix grocery store near the hotel as well as a Wallgreens, several restaurants, cinema, etc all at walking distance. Now that I've been to Destin, I would like to stay in a hotel at the beach, because most of the beaches are private, meaning that you don't have free access to any place at the beach, you have to enter via one of the several public entrances. The notel offers free breakfast which is something that my wife and I like. The swimming pool is nice as well as the spa. The fitness room is bad. The internet connection is slow. Although it is clean, the hotel shows signs of aging, I've been to better Country Inns but this one is still at an acceptable level.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
McKinney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

This was a great place to stay. Close enough to the harbor to drive and catch the action, but far enough away to be quiet. The beach was very close and there were great restaurants in our vicinity. The staff was exceptionally accomodating, and the continental breakfast was good.

• Stayed October 2012
ALABASTER
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Business travel can be a pain but this place makes up for it. This place is quiet, nice pool, very clean, good beds, good internet, staff is friendly, polite and helpful, good location. Added perk is the free breakfast. Not the standard continental, a real breakfast with real hot eggs, bacon, toast, etc. Hope all Country Inns are this great because it's my new choice of hotels.

Room Tip: Lobby has a wide staircase to all floors so you don't have to wait on the elevator.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Russellville, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We were looking for a hotel to stay at for a first trip to Destin. The Country Inn and Suites had decent pricing and decent reviews. The hotel is not located on the beach nor has a beach view. However, everywhere hotel in Destin is within a short driving distance to the public beaches.

We stayed on the second level. The room was clean and the mattresses firm. The bathroom door did not lock. But the mini fridge was great for keeping our beverages cool.

The wi-fi never did work while we stayed there. However, there was a public access computer that you could use in the lobby. The most frustrating part of our experience was waiting almost every morning for the lady who was suppose to be running the breakfast center to get off her facebook. I think having an employee using the public access computer to surf facebook while making guests wait and not doing their own job is very unprofessional.

Overall, I was satisfied with the hotel. I expected it to be average. Our next trip we plan to spend a little more and stay at a beach front hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second of three levels. It was alright. Maybe the third floor may be better, but pr...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

My family recent took a short trip over to Destin for a last bit of summer fun.

This hotel was conveniently located near the Destin Commons with plenty of other shopping & restaurants right near by.

The hotel was clean and the rooms were roomy & comfortable.

I was a little disappointed with the breakfast, but, it was free, so who can complain.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

First of all, I reserved 2 rooms with 2 beds on-line and when we went to check in they did not have my reservation. Thankfully, they did have king suites available and although we needed rooms with 2 beds, it all worked out just fine. This is a clean hotel. The entire place needs a makeover but I'd rather stay somewhere clean and outdated that updated and dirty. The prices were reasonable compared to others in the area which is why we chose this hotel.

The breakfast was good.

** As a side note, I left a nightlight in the bathroom of my room. When I realized this, I called and the desk clerk went to look to see if she could find it and called me back. She did indeed find it but when we stopped to pick it up, it was nowhere to be found. Hmmm! It was not an expensive nightlight but I found it interesting how quickly it was lost all over again.

Room Tip: The rooms in the rear of the building overlook a golf course.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to White Sands Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!