“Westwinds the Good and the Bad” 3 of 5 stars

Westwinds at Sandestin
9300 Hwy 98 W., Destin, FL 32541   |
Ranked #39 of 57 Specialty Lodging in Destin
Savannah
“Westwinds the Good and the Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2007

Our company holds their annual meeting at Westwinds and as a result have stayed at the property many times. Their are pros and cons as listed:

The Good:

The resort is well located and their are many things to enjoy and do. Lots of great restaurants and bars and as other reviews have mentioned, the Broken Egg is not to be missed for breakfast.

Property and resort are well maintained for the most part, however,some of the condos at Westwinds are beginning to show their age.

Outstanding views of the gulf from higher floors.

Beautiful and clean pool, beachside.

Beautiful and well maintained grounds throughout the resort.

One of the most beautiful stretches of beach in Florida

The Bad:

Very poor service, called the front desk one morning to ask where the gym was and no one could tell me. The woman kept saying "don't you see any signs" (it was on the first floor by the pool)

Was showering one morning and the water went off for about 10 seconds while I was washing my face. Understand this happens to people on higher floors.

Went to shower one evening before a function and their was NO water. Called the desk and they said it would be out for an hour or two. They suggested I drive to the gym and shower there.

Poor housekeeping....dropped something that rolled under the sofa and pulled it out. Full of dead bugs and food and ???

This is a beautiful place...they just need to pay attention to some of the service issues. I would stay at this property again.

• Liked — beautiful location`
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2007

Sandestin was a wonderful resort... everything that we could have possibly wanted to do on vacation, we were able to do without ever leaving the resort! It was just wonderful and a much needed vacation!
First, the water was just to-die-for. I can not even begin to tell you how fabulous it was so actually see CLEAR water and WHITE sand beaches! I honeymooned in St. Lucia, and Destin was better.
The resaurants were unbelievable... we ate the Another Broken Egg each morning we were there and we wanted to keep going back! Coffee... excellent. Omelets.... excellent. Blackberry grits... the best! We ate dinner at Rumrunners, which was delicious. And great drinks, too!
The shopping was wonderful and there was a great selection of cute boutiques, candy stores, children's shops, etc.
Our room... this is where I got a little frustrated. When I booked the reservation, I specifically stated that I wanted a beachside, beachview room. Therefore, my reservation was made for the Beachside towers (closest to the beach, nothing blocking the view). Our contract stated that if our room had to change, we would be notified before we arrived. We weren't. When we got there, we were put in the Westwind Towers and our "beachview" was actually the second floor, overlookng a waterfall. We could not even see the ocean because of how low we were... the palm trees were over our balcony!! Further, two of the lights in the condo were not working and the door to the balcony wouldn't open no matter what we did. They only had enough coffee for one morning and even though cleaning people came, they didn't replenish. They didn't even have coffee to supply if you asked them! That was a nuissance.
Would I go back? Maybe. If our room hadn't been changed without notification or even a comparable replacement, I would go back. I can bring my own coffee. But I can't bring my own ocean view, especially when I paid what I paid for it.

• Liked — The Spa was INCREDIBLE. The beach was beautiful!
  • Disliked — Not getting the room I paid for and not getting a suitable replacement.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

The accommodations (condo) was beautiful, but the housekeepiong and engineering staff is horribe!
We pulled in late at night, the refrigerator and stove did not work, and the 2nd bedroom was very dirty-had not been vaccumed. It took us 4 nights to get everything fixed!
Never had enough towels or washcloths, and maids never had any extras--had to go to front desk at main property.
Great beach, but worst service I have ever had!

• Liked — Beautiful beachfront location, and a great beach!
  • Disliked — Housekeeping service and cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
douglasville georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2007

I have stayed in the Sandestin Beach Resort twice in the past six months and have loved it both times! Here is a (long) comprehensive review of accommodations, the beach, nearby restaurants and other Sandestin services.

My first trip was in May for work and I was there solo with a bunch of rowdy attorneys for a conference. Having read bad reviews about the Hilton’s rooms, I rented a one bedroom Westwinds Condo through Resort Quest. Its hard to tell from the websites but Hilton, Beachside II, Beachside I and Westwinds are all tall condo buildings all in a row facing the ocean. All but the Hilton are managed by Sandestin. If you are going to the Hilton for a conference and want more space than a hotel room, you can stay at any of the Sandestin condos and walk to the Hilton within two minutes. Westwinds interior was very nice, the grounds were immaculate and the pool was unique and clean. Westwinds has a huge, fenced in separate baby pool 10 feet from a tiki bar/snack hut. This is the place to be if you have very young toddlers who can't swim. Don't be alarmed if you don't have kids though, the main pool was quiet, mostly adults and has a grotto hottub. Its well landscaped and by far the 'nicest' of all the pools on the ocean at Sandestin. The units at Westwinds are newer but smaller than Beachside Units. Westwinds is a longer walk to the action at the Hilton.

Sandestin was great for a bunch of partying lawyers. It had quick and easy shuttle service to the bars and restaurants of the Village area (read no DUI), it had upscale restaurants and clubs (read expensive but good for snooty lawyers). The Hilton conference area was typical, the staff seemed helpful and I must say despite the negative reviews, I liked the Sandestin Hilton facilities. I used their pool, their spa and their beach. The Hilton had a nice atmosphere both trips and while I haven't seen their rooms, the rest of it was pretty good.

You can rent condos through Sandestin, Resort Quest or directly by owner. If you don’t go through Sandestin itself make sure you get the resort amenities card with your rental. You will miss out on a lot without one.

My second trip was during the July 4th week but this time I was in mom mode with family and kids in tow (ages 3 and 4). Sandestin was great from this perspective as well! We stayed in a two bedroom at Beachside II and we were really pleased. The pool is basic but clean and is located right next to the Fintz pool/restaurant which is the 'public' pool for all other Sandestin guests. The Fintz pool is crowded and busy all day with a bar scene and live Jimmy Buffet-type music being played. You can hear the music from the beach and from the Beachside II pool. What I really liked was that even though it was July 4th, the Beachside II pool was never crowded. We would watch the folks right next door at the Fintz pool pack in like sardines, while we could stroll over to their bar, grab a drink then walk back to our own far less crowded pool while listening to their band.
Our Beachside Unit was a 'silver' but was much larger and nicer than the Westwinds Unit I stayed in on the prior occasion. I had seen a Platinum level Beachside II unit that my officemate stayed in when I was at our conference in May and it was pretty tricked out with stainless steel appliances, modern furniture, granite counter tops, slate steam shower etc. Basically if you want fancier grounds and building and don't care so much about the size of your condo stay at Westwinds. If you want to be close to the action, have a bigger unit and a nice but average building stay at beachside II.

Despite the major holiday we never felt like Sandestin was crowded. One exception is the beach. If you go, either camp out early and expect to be packed in or rent an umbrella. By renting the umbrella you get space but you won't be able to directly see the ocean through the mass of people. If you have little ones and need to be near waters edge I strongly recommend two adults at all times. It was scary how crowded waters edge was and I could easily see losing a little one quickly in the crowd. The ocean was warm and crystal clear. Mild surf. The kids loved it! We just stayed under the umbrella or in the ocean so we never felt too crowded.

We ate at the Broken Egg for breakfast. It was seriously awesome! Best meal we had in Sandestin. We ate (without the kids) at Marlin Grill in the Village. Ridiculously expensive average restaurant. They have a good wine spectator rating but I have no idea why because the staff was nice and well meaning but utterly clueless about wine. For the same money go to Flemmings in the new commercial area near the Publix that is a block from the entrance to Sandestin. If you want fancy and a steak its a one minute drive from the front of Sandestin. The manager was a really great guy who knows his wines! The food was excellent too. Try the lobster tempura appetizer! There is also a new upscale Mexican cantina in the same development next to huge water fountains the kids can play in for hours. In the Sandestin village, we also ate at Rum Runners with the kids (they were entertained by the live music). Blah food. The sushi place was very good but pricey. One night we got delivery from Roberto’s (the pizza place). Skip it. Get Dominoes. The Acme Oyster House was yummy. Overall the village was fun for the kids and a nice place to walk around at night. They have a HUGE playground area the kids will love but basically it’s an adult bar scene.
I have used the gym facilities that Sandestin has as well as the ones the Hilton has. Sandestin has more gym equipment but the Hilton spa area is much better. They both cost extra to use so I recommend the Hilton’s. I have been to a lot of spas and my massage was pretty darn good at the Hilton.
One final recommendation for folks with kids…The Sandestin Kid Zone. My kids loved it. They went twice. Its expensive but the kids were outnumbered (or so it seemed) by staff. My two loved it and begged to go back. It gave us a chance to use the spa and have a nice dinner out so the cost was worth the piece of mind knowing they were safe. Sandestin is a great spot for both business and family travel. Tons to do. Good solid staff. Variety to suit all ages and tastes and a spectacular beach that rivals the Caribbean…We will be back next year!

• Liked — Variety
  • Disliked — Lack of information from Sandestin
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Knoxville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2006

Our Westwinds unit was nice but in need of repair. The facility overall is recently renovated but each unit is owned by different individuals, including the owners of the resort for rental. I was told ocean front but we were granted more of an ocean view. Make sure you get this clarified. Our unit had holes in the wall above the sliding glass door to the deck and a lamp with no shade. I expect better at $400 per night. I reported this at check in and it was never addressed. Staff overall somewhat friendly but Chuck at the health club was very impatient and rude to weekly people versus the residents. I will probably not return as the value isn't there. lot's of construction. I would give it a year for the various projects to complete. Best bikes for rental are at marina. the free ones with the much talked about amenity card are junk. Don't worry about amenity card. Tram drivers don't ask to see them ...try vbo or fsbo sites and lease direct from an individual ...

• Stayed March 2006
Manchester UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2006

great for a family winter break Have stayed at Westwinds three times now, mainly for conferences but brought all the family last time. We had a superb and spacious 2 bedroom condo although the view from ours was not the best. It was on the west side and tucked in the corner. Make sure you ask for one with a view right on the front. However the condo was very comfortable and spacious for all five of us. Our kids had a superb time in the pool and the hot tub in front of the buidling. We also wandered around the nature reserve and ate out every night. The village at Baytowne has some great shopping. However coming from the UK and used to paying high prices to eat out, we did find the restaurants on the resort a little pricy and not fantastic service which surpised us. We did have a superb breakfast at the broken egg and at the donut hole just off resort. Coming from a grey winter in Britain to the blue skies and sugar white sands in Sandestin is superb. There is also the most amazing outlet mall just 5 minutes away. We are returning this April.

• Stayed October 2005
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2005

We just returned from a week at Westwinds and it was fabulous. We had a spacious, extremely comfortable and beautifully decorated two-bedroom gulf-front condo with incredible views from every window. The landscaping was almost as nice as a high-end resort we stayed in on Kauai. The swimming pool did get a bit crowded during the day, but everyone was friendly and it was easy to strike up conversations with other visitors. The beach was outstanding. The building itself is spotlessly clean, beautifully decorated and had four fast and spacious elevators. It was a snap getting up to our condo to grab a drink or a snack, then head right back down to the pool or the beach. I would highly recommend this facility to anyone.

• Stayed June 2005

Been to Westwinds at Sandestin? Share your experiences!