“Not worth it” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 58 Specialty Lodging in Destin
Florida
“Not worth it”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2006

I recently stayed at Bay Club of Sandestin. This place is a joke. The only way I know to describe it is "Like a half-end maintained motel 6". The resort was wonderful but, the lodging was less than desirable. Only one elevator was working and the wait to go up or down was a pain! When I complained to the front desk they stated they were puttting in new elevators. Yeah, I knew that! I get to listen to construction ALL day. Even after the 2 elevators are finished, this place will need more than just a "face lift" to even qualify for 1 star lodging. Save your money, stay somewhere else.

Stayed August 2006

Solo
Oklahoma City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2006

We are RCI members -- two adults, a 12-year-old, and an 8-year-old -- who (encouraged by tripadvisor ratings) traded into the Bay Club Sandestin for spring break.

A word of advice to others considering a stay at the Bay Club: DON'T. Life is too short to stay in sub-par places.

The Bay Club is nearly 40 years old, and now seems to be a forgotten part of the 2,400-acre Sandestin grounds. It has become so marginalized that the Bay Club does not even appear on internal maps of the complex.

From our condo we faced a parking lot and uninspired landscaping. I saw the view from the "bay" side, and -- though nicer -- wasn't anything to brag about, even from the fourth floor. Wireless access does not rise above the second floor, and even then the connection is dropped every few minutes. There is one desktop computer in the "media room" but you have to sign up at the front desk -- and pay for usage. Also, the media room (which includes a TV and is the home of bingo games) closes at 5 p.m., so frustrated fellow guests would squat outside on the floor, trying to get a connection on their notebooks. Families sat forlornly around the pools, as even the hardiest of kids couldn't bear the chill of the water.

The club's lobby also closes at 5 p.m., except for Friday and Saturday nights, and guests enter through an unlocked sidedoor. There is no security in the bulding after hours. Shuttle vans are available to take you to and fro, but the waits were so long we usually ended up taking the car and chancing the parking.

With the exception of Tina, the friendly front-desk clerk, the borders on surly. We were called on our last day to see if we wanted a "members' update" or had any comments. I expressed our dismay about the unheated pools, the lack of outdoor whirlpool, the extra charge for what should be basics. She sighed and admitted that she had heard these complaints before, but nothing had changed.

Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. This is the sort of place that makes you happy to pack up and go home.

• Stayed March 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2005

My family bought into the Bay Club of Sandestin a year or so before they borke ground and we have gone here every year since it opened. Such a great investment, as the area keeps getting prettier and more welcoming by the year. The surroundings are unbeatable, the new shops/resturants/activites are superb, and I'm really glad, even though I got married and moved to London England and we have a daughter now, that we can still meet up with my parents once a year, stay in the old faithful condo room I stayed in as a child (yet more updated and every few years re0fitted and updated). It gives memories to build on, highly recommended for families who may not be able to afford the cost of Orlando every year or who want a more relaxing vacation. This is a great place for all ages. I had tons of fun as a kid (and now there's a lot more for kids to do around Destin than when I was a kid), plenty of upscale things for adults to do, sandy clean beaches to stroll down (especially nice to take beach chairs out at night and sit and listen to the tides and look at the stars), and all round---A++++++++++++++++++

• Stayed June 2005
houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2005

I stayed here in May 2004 with three children ages 6, 3, and 10 months and I was pleasantly surprised at how much the children enjoyed it. The bay front pool is very kid friendly. In early May, the big pool wasn't quite warm enough for the kids, but they really enjoyed the kiddie pool and sandbox. And I enjoyed the bay view of the pool. There was a restaurant that served lunch poolside, which was really nice. Also, there was a poolside cabana that served drinks in the afternoon. The tram stop was located close by and the tram showed up quickly once called. The furnishings in our room were pleasant, not grand, but the bay view was beautiful. Consider staying here if you are on a budget and still want to experience all of the amentities of the Sandestin resort.

• Stayed May 2004
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2004

Excellent location and very nice rooms in the Bay Club 2. By far this is my favorite place in Destin.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2004

We stayed at the Bay Club of Sandestin and the resort was beautiful. They have a self contained resort with resturants and shopping. We did not have to drive to the resturants or the beach because they offer a free shuttle. The condo was over looking the bay and it was beautiful. Alot of things for our kids to do, they offered activities for the kids every day. We went ofer Easter weekend the weather was great and the kids loved it. We will go back again next year

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2004

I can tell you from personal experience that the proper sanitation procedures are not used here and that the rooms are nice, but definitely not as nice as they should be considering the cost. It was an enjoyable job, but I would not enjoy staying there knowing how shotty the cleaning is.

Been to Wyndham Vacation Resorts Bay Club? Share your experiences!