“What you see is what you get!” 4 of 5 stars

Capri by the Gulf
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   3100 Scenic Hwy 98, Destin, FL 32541   |
Ranked #47 of 58 Specialty lodging in Destin
Austin, Texas
“What you see is what you get!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I am complitly positiv about this place! My apt is 110 and from the inside it looks much better from what I saw on a pictures! Office have working hours and they told us that. They told us the way how to change towels and bedding, how to use laundry....absolutely everything.... The apartment is fully equipped like my own house....plates, pots and pans, ironing board, vacuum cleaner, hair dryer.... I was sceptic After all the rewues that I read but it's awesome! They don't have a poll but you can tell they from the pics, place is old but nice and clean... If you're for a Luxory....this is not the right place for you but if you're looking for something small, nice, clean, convenient and not that price....well, this is it! You'll enjoy! Overall....nice place to spend vacation!

Room Tip: Rooms #106 and#108 and there are two more ... I don't know the number, facing the beach with the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

The location is stellar .... But remember, this is a former seaside motel from the 1950's, and it lacks many amenities. No pool. Most units face east or west, with no views of the ocean. The beach is pristine, but the decks and the community chairs are bottom of the barrel cheap on the decks and it just feels ...... old and worn.

Is it worth $170-200 a night during the summer? Hmmmmm - That's a tough question. Not having to climb stairs to get to your unit is a plus - as is the abundant parking. But the lack of a balcony or a view in most of the units is a minus. The beach is close, but we missed seeing the ocean from our window or outside our unit.

It does have an electric gate - so you are not surrounded by hordes of people....and the small number of units is a plus. If we were able to get a unit with a private deck (there are only three of these) , then we might return. Or if the prices were under $100 per night during the summer, them we might return.

Bottom line - ambivalent. Thus the three stars...not a real great bargain, but a decent place.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tifton, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The management here is terrible! I would never recommend this place to anyone due to the horrible experience my family and I had here because of management of the property. My family and I drove 5 hours and paid 326.00 to check in at 3:30pm on Friday. We were given a sheet of info with the code to the gate entrance on it. That night we went to eat and returned. We had forgotten our paper with the code on it. After knocking on the managers door with no answer, at 9 pm pm we called the after hour emergency line twice with no answer and then left a message explaining the emergency and asking for a return call. Waiting 30 minutes with no returned call and 3 screaming children in the car that had to potty, I climbed over the gate to get to our room and get the code. By 9 am we still had not received a return call. I went to the office to c/o no returned call and explain the incident, only to have ANGIE TOOMBES tell me it was all my fault that I had forgotten the code and they consider emergencies to be busted pipes or no action and I wasn't experiencing an emergency when I called. We even verified we had called the correct number for after hours. ANGIE TOOMBES stated even if they had returned the call we would have been charged 50 dollars for them to give me the code. She was not apologetic at all and did not try to accommodate us in any way. We had a check out time of 10 am on Saturday, not even being a 24 hour stay. She had remained me that we could probably extend the check out time before we even traveled to destin, but ended up making us check out at 10 am. I demanded a partial refund, and she refused stating she couldn't refund me anything for my forgetting my code in my room, not saying anything about the call that wasn't returned. Awful customer service for such a nice place.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Capri by the Gulf is the worst apartment I've ever done business with. Beware this place; check in 2 hours per day only. Rude, unhelpful customer service. They are refusing answering and help us. Do not recommend at all

Room Tip: do not recommend at all
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Rochester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed in unit 117. It was newly done over so it was clean and bright. It is right on the beach and the beach is absolutely gorgeous, white fluffy sand and the water is so clear you can see your feet waist deep.This unit's kitchen did have everything you need in it ,which was nice.( I would bring little packets of salt and pepper with you, for the unit doesn't have that)The bathroom's shower and a stand up only, (no tub if you have little ones )but it was a good size shower . It is non smoking which is a huge plus,for there was no odors.There is a beach service which sets up 2 beach chairs and one umbrella for each unit,free.

The cons are there were no hangers, not one so we couldn't hang any of our clothes. I went to dry my hair, no hair dryer so my husband went to the front desk and they said they don't have hair dryers because it's a liability.My husband ran out to buy a hair dryer and when plugged in,it didn't even reach the shower so I am not sure where the liability comes in.There is no pool, not that I sit by the pool all day, however it is nice to dip in the pool at the end of the day or when it's windy at the beach. There is NO house keeping.You get 6 towels,when they are dirty, your doing your own laundry.That means no new sheets,no toilet paper,no Kleenex,no emptying of the rubbish,no extra trash bags ETC.There was a TV in the bedroom, but the remote didn't work so that means you had to get up out of bed to change stations or shut it off.The central air in the bedroom was very loud, there was a rattling sound every time it turned on.The only clock in the whole place was the one on the microwave so I hope your cell phone has an alarm in it if you need to be up early to catch a flight. The top shelf in the closet had extra blankets,pillows and 2 Broken?? DVD players but all sort of thrown up there. Our first night going to bed the headboard kept banging up against the wall every time one of us moved. We got out of bed and pulled it out some from the wall, the next morning we looked and the headboard is just nailed to the frame, so not very sturdy and that is why it kept banging the wall.

We did enjoy our time here because of the beach, Not sure if I would stay at Capri by the gulf again,unless we tried a different unit.

Room Tip: There are two end units that have a private balcony that has a water view. All others rooms have par...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Richland, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed at Capri by the Gulf in the "low" season in April 2013--between spring break prices and summer prices. The property was smaller than most of the other big establishments and due to this, it seemed more "intimate" and not so impersonal. The time we went was a lower price due to being between two more "desirable" seasons. We were very pleased with the time we went as the crowds were minimal yet the weather was not too hot nor humid. Eating in restaurants was also easy as once again, there were fewer people. The location was amazing--especially for the price. I went on a 3 gal trip and the room (106) suited us well. We had a king size bed and a pull out hide a bed so the 3 of us had room. The bed was comfortable and the room was quite clean. Recent renovations had been done to the unit we were in--tile floors, granite counter tops, bathroom redo, new cupboards in the kitchen, big flat screen TV. We were also just steps away from the beach and having the beach be private, there was lots of space (again, we were not in "high season"). The chairs and umbrellas are a must and they provide for your use two chairs and an umbrella. If there are more people in your party than the 2, then you pay $5 for the additional chair. Knowing this, and having the opportunity--bring your own chairs if there are more than just the two in your group.The beach is extremely clean and the city has it machine cleaned every other day. What a treat to sit there and watch dolphins swim right off shore. Also, the fishermen are more than happy to explain and show how and what they are fishing for. New experience for us as we are from the NW of the US. We arrived after the office was closed and had the code for the locked box to retrieve our key--however, the salt air made the lock not work but no problem, the manager came to help us in @ 10 minutes. The only problem we had was our TV would not play the DVD player as the people staying before us had used the TV to play games on and did not connect the wires back correctly. The maintenance fixed that for us readily. We also did not have a hair dryer--but some units do. Each unit is individually owned so most are similar with supplies, but not identical. Best to ask when making reservations what is and is not supplied. You do get good "starter supplies" (soap, shampoo, 1 toilet paper, dish liquid, dishwasher detergent) but must buy other supplies if you use these up. There is a central laundry room--but we did not use this. It is nice to have a security gate but don't forget the code. Also different code for the drive in gate and the walk in gate. The unit next to us had half of it washed out to sea during hurricane Ivan as well as portions of the deck and swimming pool. I did hear that they plan to have a new pool reinstalled fall of 2013. I would rather be in the ocean or near it rather than a pool. I would stay there again given the chance. I prefer smaller places like this one rather than the "big box" type places. Seems more relaxing. We loved that our room was the next closest to the ocean as we sat in our chairs each morning and evening drinking our coffee/wine and reading books or watching the sunset.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the ocean. Also, try to get one of the rooms that have been renovated.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My family and I stayed here 3 years in a row. We stayed in room 109 the first 2 years. Both years we were very satisfied. This is a quiet, cozy little place right on the beach. You can open your door and see the beach. The 3rd year I wasnt as pleased with our room....not sure of the room number but, we still had a nice time. Good place for the price especially since its right on the beach. I would recommend staying here!

Room Tip: Room 109 is great!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Capri by the Gulf? Share your experiences!