“Excellent Stay in Destin Florida” 5 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tennessee
“Excellent Stay in Destin Florida”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2009

Hello, just wanted to say that we had an awesome stay at Candlewood Suites. The King bedroom suite was so spacious, and the front desk was very helpful with anything that we asked of them. I would definately stay here again in the future. Also the prices were great for a 5 night stay....! I recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a cheaper, clean and safe hotel. The location of the hotel was great, it is right down the street from the outlet mall and it is close by all the nice restaurants as well..

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
CWSGM, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Destin - Miramar Beach, responded to this review, June 24, 2009
Thank you very much for the positive review! I remember when you checked in. I personally watched your children as you went to your car to get some things. I am so glad your children had a good time. I remember as a child how exciting it was to stay in a nice hotel. Sleeping in a clean, comfortable room with new experiences are what make good memories. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay at the Candlewood Suites.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

This was my first vacation with my 3 children of 3,5, and 7. My 5 year old is in a wheel chair and I was very wary of this vacation, but we all needed it. Check it was Great! They even helped me with my kids and offered them complimentary ice cream when they got a little fussy while I was checking in. It was all uphill from there. The hotel was immaculate. And the room as my 3 year old described it was "purrfect". We got great advise for eating from the front desk. Unfortunately we did not listen on the first night and had a horrible experience at Landry by Joes Crab Shack. It was horrible. The pool was warm and perfect for small children. We felt safe and comfortable. It was like visiting relatives that have an in-law suite separate from the house. They are there if you need them, but they are not intrusive. We did have to drive to the beach because the highway was much to busy to consider walking across it. And the beach is not wheelchair or stroller friendly, so be prepared to carry your little one if he/she won't walk. Overall it was a great vacation and we will return to Candlewood Suites in the future.
Tip: It is a lot cheaper to book through Candlewood Suites than the other sites.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
US of A
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

We stayed at Candlewood during the week after memorial weekend. We booked the king suite which was great for our family with 2 toddlers. There was plenty of space and having the bedroom in a closed off room was very nice. Luved the fully equipped kitchen, king sized bed was very comfy, 2 flat screen tvs and just really roomy. We were only a 2min drive to the beach. Outlet mall was another 2min away. there are plenty of restaurants and shops nearby.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Wilmington, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

We stayed at the candlewood suites memorial day weekend,

Positives- The rooms here are spectacular for the price. They include a full kitchen with dishes and utensils, a descent sized flat screen tv, soft beds, high quality sheets and towles, an armchair and a desk/table. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, checking in and out was a breeze. The hotel also offers a laundry room which is a free to use.

Negatives - The hotel lacked any extra niceties that most hotels in this price range will offer a couple of. By this I mean - no breakfast, no hot tub, no indoor pool, no balconies, and no lounge. Granted I new about most of this before booking but I was definatley missing them when I got there, especially the hot tub. The outdoor pool was small and because it sits in the shade most of the day it was freezing. The biggest negative, however, was the location. The hotel was close to the outlets but that left it a descent drive from all the other major attractions i.e. the aquarium, zoo, waterpark, harborwalk etc... and the main road, rte 98, is always busy. The hotel is also not within walking distance to the beach. This is important as parking at the beaches can be tough to find. Also the gulf coast typically experiences scattered showers during the summer and being able to run into your nearby hotel for a couple of hours is easier than either riding out the storm or having to pack up the car and leave early.

This hotel is definatley a good bet if you plan on staying in the area for a while or if you're traveling on a tight budget and plan to eat in most nights. However; for a weekend getaway I would recomend staying in the western part of destin closer to the beach

FYI If you plan on booking this hotel make sure to book through the hotel's website. The prices on their site are significantly cheaper than anything a travel site like expedia or orbitz will offer.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Jefferson City, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

We have fond memories of the weeks we spent at Candlewood Suites. The staff was so friendly and kind. Great room and exercise facility. We felt right at home. Hope to return! Thanks for the memories!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
mattytude
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

Well I guess this is going to be the first bad reveiw for this hotel. Where do I begin, the check -in is a start, since I am a Platinum member of 12 years (actually I am Gold this year, due to travel cutbacks) of Holiday Inns "Priority Club" frequent stay program, I am usually upgraded room wise due to amount of times I stay with them annually. No upgrade was available the desk clerk informed me, which is not a huge deal, but would have been nice since this time my 2 kids were with me. Well we got to our room, which is nothing special, but a little tight for 4 people with a small kitchen and 2 beds, but all Candlewoods are laid out pretty much the same. We got settled and the kids wanted to go to the pool, which a lot of Candlewoods don't offer. We all jumped in and turned instantly into human popcycles, as for some strange reason the pool is not heated. In north Florida its almost a requirement to have a heated pool, as the daily temperatures are only warm enough from mid May to September for swimming. The same sentiment was shared by several guests the few days we braved the windy, sunny but cool temps at the pool area. Another issue we had was that the guests above us seemed to bring their "Wii" video game system, which must have included the "Dance Dance Revolution" game as they practiced a LOT, both late night and early morning. A call to the front desk clerk quieted them for about an hour, but the dancing then continued for the next 3 days. Maybe we will see them on "Dancing with The Stars" someday, as I think they perfected the art.
The last issue I had and this was a major one was the interrogation my 12 year old daughter recieved from the General Manager - David. Since Candlewood's don't offer daily housekeeping, the guest is responsible to get their own towels from the front desk. My daughter went up to get new towels and David the GM, told her to go back and get the dirty ones and he would exchange them on a 1 for 1 basis, no big deal just a short roundtrip back to the front desk. Well as she returned, David the GM inspected each and every towel and washcloth until he came to one that had blackish stains on it. He then proceded to question my daughter about the washcloth and why it was dirty. Well, she looked at the washcloth and surmised that it was used to remove make-up. Well that was the wrong answer, as David the GM said that it wasnt good for the washcloth to be used it that manner. He then went and got disposable make-up removal wipes and told her that these are to be used for that task!
Well David the GM, why weren't they in the rooms in the first place if that's what you wanted guests to use for that task. God forbid someone use a washcloth for something other than washing ones body. Washcloths are great for scrubbing countertops, cleaning the screens of televisions, cleaning up the microwave, wiping up spills, and other various tasks around the room. As a frequent guest of your companys hotels, I think most female (and some male) guests use washcloths for make-up removal at various Holiday Inn locations worldwide. You may want to rethink how you handle the towel situation, or let someone not as emotionally connected to the towels take over that position.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
New York, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2009

My family and I stayed here while in Destin for a beach wedding. We made good use of the kitchenette, which helped cut down on our travel costs, but we discovered the outdoor grilling area a bit too late to use it. There is a small kidney-shaped pool with tables, chairs, and a grill for guest use. There is also a small, covered area to enjoy eating and lounging poolside. The rooms were very comfortable and clean, with ample space for the 5 of us who stayed there (though the bathroom became a bit cramped given all of the product and towels we had to use). Overall, the stay was very pleasant, except for a small altercation with the night staff when we were falsely accused of being rowdy. Interesting combination of Spring Breakers and families ... but the hotel wasn't loud at all. Also, good to note this hotel is not directly on the beach, and most attractions we wanted to go to were a little bit of a drive away.If I were going to Destin again, I would definitely stay here again - we really didn't have any complaints!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Been to Candlewood Suites Destin - Miramar Beach? Share your experiences!