“Comfy, Convient Stay Worth Recommending” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 39 hotels in Destin
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Comfy, Convient Stay Worth Recommending”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

My mother and I stayed here five days and four nights for a scuba diving trip in Destin along with our two small dogs ($80 flat rate, nonrefundable pet charge for our length of stay). The check in/check out was super quick and easy. Front desk staff were friendly, helpful and efficient, often offering "good morning" greetings on our way out the door. Clean rooms and common areas, updated, comfy beds and pillows, AC cooled very well and the hotel smelled new and clean since the whole building is smoke free. Plenty of areas outside to walk our dogs, including a pet walk in the back with stocked potty bags near the trash can (thought it appeared some guests did not utilize this to clean up after their pets.) We were given a room on the first floor right behind the elevator and never had an issue with this. It was convenient for our comings and goings with our dogs. There was one night that we were woken by other guests in the hallway being noisy, but this did not appear due to our room's location in the hotel. The Destin address of the hotel is misleading. The hotel is actually located in Miramar Beach, so plan at least 10 minutes to get to things in Destin. You are close to the outlets in Miramar Beach, however, and there are a few great restaurant options within a few miles of the hotel. We went diving at The Vortex springs on our on one day and took chartered boat dives ($90/person plus $25/person for a dive master fee) with Scuba Tech dive shop in Destin. Great time all around and look forward to our next return trip! Would stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Keith M, Manager at Candlewood Suites Destin - Miramar Beach, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
We appreciate your wonderful comments about our property! I will pass them on to all of our staff. They love to hear that their hard work everyday is noticed by our guests. We have the best staff out there and thank you for taking the time to let them know what a great job they are doing. We are so glad that your dogs enjoyed themselves as well. We love when our guests bring their pets to enjoy vacation as well. It sounds like you made the most of your time here by enjoying our beautiful piece of paradise. Vortex Springs is absolutely beautiful and it sounds like the Scuba Diving was a great experience! As you know, there is so much to do here, so we hope to see you again soon!

283 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Ansbach, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We had originally planned on the entire family staying for 2 nights. I got the room at such a good rate I figured we could bring our own food and use the kitchen to good effect which would make up for the lack of a complimentary breakfast. It just ended up with two of us for one night instead. The room was very clean. The gym seemed to have an average amount of exercise equipment. I did not check out the outdoor pool. The location is between Destin and Sandestin. Reasonably close to the big outlet mall in Sandestin.
If you have stayed at an "extended stay" type hotel before you will not be disappointed in this Cadlewood Suites.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for letting us know how great your stay was with us! Our Candlewood staff appreciates you choosing our Hotel to be your hotel of choice while in the Destin/Miramar Beach area. We truly live in paradise and love to share it with our guests! We are so glad that you were able to enjoy the full kitchen in your room. It's nice after a long day to relax in your room and enjoy a nice meal with your family. Sounds like you were also able to get a little shopping time in at the outlet mall. We are located about 1/2 mile from them. There are so many great stores and restaurants for you to enjoy! We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Atmore, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The hotel was clean & nice but I had reservation problems. I made reservations which got cancelled not by me. I just happened to call to change one of the rooms and found out my original reservations had been cancelled. I was not given the lower rate I received on my first reservation when making new ones. No one could explain how my reservations were cancelled other than it was done online-not by me. Other than that, the hotel is in a clean area & staff was polite.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you Ms. Nancy for your review of our property. I do remember the issue with your reservation. We did extensive research to try to find out about your cancelled rooms. Your room was cancelled online and when it was rebooked, the rates had unfortunately gone up. We are so glad that we had a room available and that you enjoyed your stay. Please give us a call at the hotel directly (850) 337-3770 and we will be glad to book your next stay! We would love to personally help you this time.
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed here one night before checking into a condo we had rented. I was a little nervous about booking a hotel after looking at several reviews on a lot of the hotels in the area. Wow were we surprised. The check in went fast and smooth, the room was spotless and very spacious, the staff was helpful and friendly and the price was an absolute steal in Destin Florida compared to other hotel and condo prices. The one night stay was about $95. If this hotel was on the beach I would book it for a week on my next trip to Destin. We will no doubt use this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: I had to book a handicap room and couldn't believe how huge the bathroom was.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Keith M, Manager at Candlewood Suites Destin - Miramar Beach, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us while you were in town. We are so glad that it was such a great experience. I will pass it on to our staff that their hard work was noticed. We have the best staff in town and they appreciate your feedback. Destin is such a beautiful piece of paradise and we hope to see you again soon!
Huntsville, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Check in took numerous phone calls placed from the phone **on** the front desk which had a note reading: "dial 0 for check in" and then no one would ever pick up the phone. So, it took from 6 PM to 6:10-ish PM for the man to check me in. (I was already running late for dinner after driving 7 hours)
The room was clean and stocked with everything you need (but a wine opener, and food, of course). (1 pantene shamp/cond combo; some face wash towelettes, paper towels, dishwasher detergent and hand wash detergent and two soap bars). This room would have been super small for more than 1 adult, IMHO. Also, the whole hotel is small. It has 4 stories. The top, I believe is used mostly by pet owners, as it is a pet friendly property.

My friend's son complained about the noise in his room, as his room was situated just off the lobby, by the "pantry" where you can buy frozen meals and toiletries AND the elevator. He didn't get much sleep during his stay. :-/ Do not get that room. Also, avoid the slow elevators, I was fairly happy on the second floor on the opposite end of the elevators and just took the steps unless I was carrying groceries or luggage.

The pool is small, too, but also very clean, with two good-sized gas grills under a partially covered spot. Ample seating at the pool.

The maintenance/cleanliness is almost annoyingly impeccable here. The day of the wedding I attended (and the wedding party stayed here, too) the hotel had all of the following occurring: a check/inspection (from 9am - 4 pm) of ALL alarms in the hotel; the entire pool closed down (from 9am - 4 pm) while it was being maintenanced and pressure washed; and the elevator (there is only one super small, super slow elevator in the whole hotel) broke down. To their credit within an hour or so, it was up and running. I felt badly for the bride who began preparing for her early evening wedding during the alarm check, because she had hoped to squeeze in a nap.

The pups that I 'met' from other's staying at the hotel were all well behaved and there is an area just outside the parking lot for them to do "their business."

There is a small strip mall adjacent to the hotel, but it only offers the following dining-wise: Melting Pot and a Sushi place, which was closed both Sunday and Monday, or I would have tried it. So, don't count on having super-convenient dining options within walking distance unless you want to brave walking across the 4-lane traffic in front, but there are dining choices within a .5 mile radius.

The pool in the evening seemed to close at random times which varied based on management's mood, and/or how much they liked those enjoying the pool deck. So, much of the time our party felt as if we were children being told to "go to bed" and guess what? It was a WEDDING celebration and a VACATION for those of us who drove/flew in from hours away. So, I say all that to say, I wouldn't recommend this property for younger people (under 50, ha ha) who want to stay up until midnight and enjoy each other's company pool side. If you want peace and "retirement like" quiet, this is the place for you. If you bring a pet, please note that people DO complain if your dog barks. My BF had to sedate their pet for nearly the entire 4-day stay there.

To reiterate the good: for a block of rooms, the room rate was super-reasonable; it's clean; wi-fi is free; and so is parking. If you don't mind being a few miles from the beach, and you are taking a family, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: avoid rooms near the elevator, and by the lobby, if you want quiet rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
We appreciate you taking the time to let us know what you enjoyed about Candlewood, as well as some of your concerns. We take all of our guest's comments seriously and will take careful consideration to see what we can do to improve those areas of concern. You came at a perfect time of year to experience Destin at the lower rates. October is still so beautiful and a lot less crowded. We are so glad that you enjoyed everything that your suite had to offer. We want you to feel comfortable and at home while you are here. We pride ourselves on being pet friendly and love when our guests can enjoy their vacation a little more by having their pets with them. It is unfortunate that your stay happened to be while we were having our annual Fire Alarm Inspection. We want to make sure our staff and guests are safe in the case of emergency, so this test is essential for that reason. We make sure to let guests know the day before so that you can make plans outside the hotel during these few hours if possible. We are glad that enjoyed our beautiful pool and barbeque grills. The hours for the pool are 9 a.m. - 10 p.m. We hope that we will see you again soon!
Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We have stayed here previously and it did not disappoint us again. Only wish it was a little less expensive of a stay, $160 a night and it is not on the beach. Stayed here for a few nights in June. Pet friendly, for an additional $30 pet fee. Nice outdoor pool area. The laundry facilities are free, unexpected perk. The rooms are huge and very modern with kitchen and large bathrooms.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Keith M, Manager at Candlewood Suites Destin - Miramar Beach, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Our entire staff wants to say thank you for allowing us to be your hotel of choice for you and your pet! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay. Please come see us in the fall and winter months as well. It tends to be a little less crowded and our rates are lower during the off season months. It is so beautful here year round so make plans to visit us during those times too. We appreciate you being our guest!
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Wow, I have been to many fancy hotels but I love this place for the amenities and great customer service. We stayed at a 1 bedroom suite and it was tastefully decorated. It had everything we needed including a full kitchen, pantry, and living area with pull out sofa. The bed was comfortable and there were (3) pillows with varying levels of firmness. The towels were clean and soft (this is hard to get at even the upscale hotels). My pet peeve at hotels is the low shower pressure which makes it twice as long to take a shower thus defeating the water conservation goal. This was not a problem here, the shower head pressure was just right. I liked the Pantene shampoo line as well. We experienced a problem with the toilet which was promptly fixed. I found each time I went to the front desk to request keys or ask questions, each person was friendly and attentive. Again, this level of service is hard to come by at hotels in this price range. They also have a laundry facility (free!)which is a must when you are traveling with family/kids at the beach. It is in the same area as the gym which is odd but it worked out since I kept my eye on the laundry while I was on the treadmill. I will make this my go to hotel whenever I am in Destin. I love the location too, close to several beaches and restaurants.

Room Tip: The one bedroom suite is perfect for families with 2 kids or less.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
We are so glad you had such a great stay here at Candlewood! Thank you for such great comments! We strive on a daily basis to please all of our guests and give you a wonderful experience at our hotel. We have the best staff out there and they love to see that you are happy! We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you again very soon!

Been to Candlewood Suites Destin - Miramar Beach? Share your experiences!