“Very nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #50 of 58 Specialty Lodging in Destin
Sulphur, Louisiana, United States
“Very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I'm not one to book online, but I did for this trip. Than I read a few reviews and got scared. But when arrived the guy in the front desk was VERY FRIENDLY. The room was very nice, the room had everything we needed to cook with. The pool was beautiful and well lit at night. My kids enjoyed the stay here. The only down part was not on the beach. ( but that's ok) I would stay here again.... Thanks palms for making our stay wonderful.... We had the Jr.suit room 1711.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Benjamin C, Manager at The Palms of Destin Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for choosing The Palms of Destin on your most recent vacation. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our luxury accommodations and fully equipped kitchens. We pride ourselves in customer service and try to exceed all of our guests’ expectations.

Thank you for the positive feedback and your business. Our beautiful lagoon pool will be waiting for you when you come back to see us!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Metairie
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed in room 2908 Jr. Suite. The room was nice, and the kitchen pretty well stocked with dishes/utensils. The pool was pretty during the day. Those are probably the only positives. When we checked in, we weren't told you have to leave your driver's liscense at the desk to get a cart to unload your car. After walking back outside to get to our tower and finding no carts, we had to return to the front desk to get one and leave our driver's liscense. There is no air conditioning in the hallways or elevators (if there was, you certainly could not tell at all), and upon arriving to our room, it was 78 degrees. The checkout instructions taped to the refrigerator says to set the AC to 78 before checking out. So be warned, it will be VERY hot in the room when you get there, and while you unpack. It took several hours to get to a comfortable 72 degrees. I complained at the desk, and the lady just smiled and shrugged. I found the front desk staff to be very unpleasant and felt like they were going out of their way to give you information. There are also no shopping carts. The carts they have are the hotel style carts. So if you go to the grocery, be prepared to make several trips as these carts have no sides to them and groceries fall off easily (or bring a wagon with you from home for unloading!). Also, checkout time is 10:00am. My husband went very early to get a cart at 7:30am and there were none! We had to make 3 trips carrying all of our luggage to the garage in the heat with our kids. Not very pleasant! The garage was quite a distance from our room. There is a very strict checkout time at 10:00am, and if you go over they charge you and your keys are automatically disabled at 10:00am. The pool was very nice during the day, but be warned...there is very little to no lighting at night around and in the pool. We were there with our 10 yr old baseball team and found it almost dangerous to be out there at night. All of the parents were shocked at the lack of lighting. The pool closes at 11:00pm, so you would assume they would have adequate lighting to be out there. The liability they have there amazes me!!! I've attached several pictures to show how bad the lighting acutally is. We couldn't even see our kids in the pool!! I wouldn't plan to swim after sunset if you have kids.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thibodaux, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

When I was looking at reviews I noticed different things are important to different people, so here is a list of pros and cons.
Pros: the pool area is really well planned with alot of secluded areas around different pool types like mini oasis, condo unit seemed clean with newer decor, fitness room and lobby area very upscale, and although we didnt use it was nice to have restaurant and bar on site. Very conveniently located next to walmart.
Cons: units very sparsely furnished with necessities, this was the first time I rented a condo that didnt have basic spices,oil and other necessities in the kitchen, no extra garbage bags, not even a starter of dishwasher detergent or washing detergent, and worst of all we arrived at night and only had less than half a roll of toilet paper in each bathroom. I got up early before everyone to run to store.
Beach is across very busy hwy, shuttle only goes to Henderson park which is nice but preferred the public access beach across street because it was more teen friendly with beach chair rentals and even big inflatables to play on. Just dont expect to be able to walk across hwy, driving is a must.
The balcony didnt have any breeze because of the way it indents into the building, I would highly recommend putting ceiling fans, that would be really nice. Also the view was really disappointing, mostly a strip mall parking lot.
The trundle bed is very short, so don't expect to fit a full grown person to sleep comfortably, would be fine for younger children.
Mostly the employees were pretty nice and accommodating, even though our keys stopped working the last night of our stay. However, we had a bad experience while by the pool area. When returning from restroom, a maintenance guy(dressed in brown) informed us we couldnt have glass bottles which was totally understandable and my husband immediately returned the ice chest to our room, but the bad thing is he informed us he looked in our ice chest while we were gone. My husband and I were a little taken aback by that especially since I also had a beach bag with all our stuff next to each that appeared to be opened. We waited for our drinks we had ordered from bar before this happen and immediately left pool area.
While I dont think we would return, I think it would be a great place for younger children and it had come highly recommend, just not the place for our needs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

We booked our whole baseball team at this condo with high expectations. We realized we made a mistake in booking here and were reminded of it everyday. I have never written a bad review on anything so bare with me. Upon arriving the front desk was very rude and laughed when I asked for help!! The pool area was so dark I had to shine my phone light just to see in front of me! Forget watching your kids swim at night. It's low light makes it dangerous! Second, six adults were kicked out of the pool deck at 11:00. We were talking amongst ourselves at almost a whisper but were told we had to leave! The cery next night, a band played in the bar area way past 11:00 which you could not drown out the noise if you tried. But no one on pool deck past 11. Strange! Warm showers were few and far between. I had one out of the six days. My room was pretty dirty. Stains on comforter and dust half an inch thick.
Lastly, on our fifth day by the pool we were told that ice chest were not allowed by the pool. (And yes we had them out there everyday before that) When we asked it they were going to tell the other group with ice chest the same, they replied that our ice chest was bigger. After going round with the security guard, I approached the front desk and asked for a manager. The manager told me that we had to move it because beer was in the ice chest. Drinking wasn't allowed by the pool. Did I mention a full service bar is right off the pool? It was one thing after another with this condo. I could go on and on. I have stayed in destin since I was a child and never once was told no drinking or ice chest! I was very disappointed and will NEVER stay at this place again!!

• Stayed July 2013
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We loved our stay at the Palms of Destin! The pool was awesome, the room was nice and spacious, and the food at Sago was delicious and inexpensive! My only suggestion to the resort is to offer shuttle service to places other than Henderson beach. Taxis are expensive in Destin!

Room Tip: Bring extra blankets!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Benjamin C, Manager at The Palms of Destin Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
We are very pleased to hear about your recent stay with us at The Palms of Destin. We are very proud to host Destin’s largest lagoon pool and are glad to hear you enjoyed it. We're so happy that you enjoyed our luxury accommodations and got to experience Sago!

Thank you for the positive feedback and we can’t wait to have you and your family back here at The Palms for your next vacation!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival the front desk was very unprofessional. There is a code to get into your tower and a code to your door. The condo is clean but you get the feeling that they moved a few pieces of furniture in and that's it. There are NO extras. I didn't even have a measuring cup or a baking pan. There is one pot in this place. I have seen other units as there are nine families staying here with us and it is the same in every one you go in. The pool closes at 10:00 p.m. and the Security guard clears the deck area around 11:00 p.m. I have never been kicked out of the pool area before. I understand closing the pool but telling 6 adults that they can not sit outside to talk is ridiculous. The beach is across the street from the condo. A shuttle will take you to the beach but you have to call them to pick you up. I was on hold for 30 minutes trying to get a ride back. They drop you off at a state park that is not close to any other condos, which some may like but the teenagers normally like to be near the condos to visit with others. The views are horrible I am looking at the Shopping mall next door. Don't bring drinks in the pool area. If you do not buy drinks at the Palms you will be told that it is illegal to consume near the bar which is at the pool. This place has the RUDEST staff I ever seen in my life.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for staying at The Palms of Destin on your most recent visit to the area. Please know that we strive to exceed all of our guests’ expectations and we apologize this was not the case with your stay. What you experienced from our staff is unacceptable and the appropriate departments have been notified and the issues have been addressed.

In regards to your issues with the pool rules, we must adhere to these policies in order to provide the safest environment for our guests and owners.

We do offer a complimentary shuttle to the beach, but please know this is our peak season and the traffic can be an issue at times causing slight delays in the shuttle. We do apologize.

Again we are sorry for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us. We do hope we have the opportunity to host you and your family again.

Please feel free to contact me at bcornish@visionarydestin.com to discuss your stay in further detail.
Mount Airy, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Our condo was nice, roomy & comfortable. We all enjoyed the pool area. Wished the beach wa closer but other than that the stay was nice. I would stay here again. They need more activities for children.

Room Tip: I always enjoy higher up rooms, they tend to have the best views :)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Benjamin C, Manager at The Palms of Destin Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Palms of Destin. We appreciate your business and value the positive feedback. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our luxury accommodations. We pride ourselves in hosting Destin’s largest lagoon pool and are always excited to hear about it!

Thank you again and we look forward to hosting you and your family on your next visit to Destin!

Been to The Palms of Destin Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!