“Old World Charm” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Miami, Florida
“Old World Charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Walking into the Colony is like stepping back in time. The first thing you notice are the hard wood floors and the Caribbean colors throughout the whole place. There's a beautiful bar just inside the front door with ample seating both inside and out. The lobby is beautifully appointed from the art work to the antique elevator and switchboard. The rooms are large enough with comfy chairs and antique furniture.

Breakfast was included and better than average. They even had live music on the front porch at night by Spanish guitar player Eric Hansen. This was a bonus for me as he was really talented.

Overall, This place exceeded my every expectation. Everything was immaculate. The staff was really courteous and helpful. Even the bed was comfortable! We will definitely be returning and telling everyone about our experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
everywhere
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Where to start! From our arrival we were home! We had only planned to stay one night here, but one night way not enough, we completely changed our florida drive plans so we could come back for another two nights on our way back to Miami. We settled into our room quickly, and as we arrived so late we enquired at reception about food, the staff when above and beyond to find us a place that was still open, got us a menu and ordered it for us! The next day we got up early and had a wonderful continental breakfast then headed down to the cabana. We couldn't believe our eyes, we were completely memorised for the facilities and the pool. I can never settle anywhere but I happily sat there for hours :-) We then spent the rest of our holiday looking forward to our return to the Colony club! The staff are wonderful, so helpful and pleasant.

Delray is a wonderful place also, we spent one night having a very civilised dinner and cocktails, and the next night partying the night away, loved every second. Would return to Colony club and Delray and have a holiday there alone :-)

Room Tip: The colony club is on a corner, and we were in the room overlooking the corner but we had the a/c on...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Delray Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We were on the avenue for an event and stopped in at the bar. Nice to sit and enjoy the colors , which are wonderful at night! Everything else was just ok. Not a big personality bar or special to recall

• Stayed August 2013
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Right in the middle of fabulous Delray Beach, Florida sits the charming Colony hotel. It retains all the charm of the 1920's, like some old Bogart movie, but the rooms are up to date, super-comfortable and the staff is kind and accommodating. Complimentary breakfast every morning leads into the street life of Delray, and then it's on to the Cabana Club, with private access to fantastic beach and saltwater pool. We love it, and any time we're in Delray, we stay at The Colony.

Room Tip: Ask for a Queen room and hope for an upgrade to the King. Either way, it's a great way to go.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dublin, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

3 days, single father with 2 kids, connecting room. V clean. Good location for shops, people watching, beach. Pool closed but not informed before non-ref reserv. Beach club nice. Live music on porch a plus. Peaceful. Breakfast could use some creativity. Staff good- v good, Bill at front desk friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed here one night for a get-out-of-Miami trip. I've walked past this hotel dozens of times, noticing happy guests enjoying late-night live music and drinks on the porch. I made the reservation this time because the price was great, the parking free, and the location so much better than the two Marriot properties. It was a great decision! The lack of air-conditioning in the lobby and on the stairs was not a problem at all, and - despite my concern about the window unit in the room - the a/c in the room and hallway was just right. The walk down Atlantic to the restaurant on Swinton and live music at the Arts Garage was an easy 5-blocks. Same for heading in the other direction to the beach. And drinks on the porch later that night, listening to a sax player, watching folks stroll by on Atlantic - we really enjoyed it! Room was clean, bed comfortable, bathroom good (and I'm a bathroom snob), room dark with curtains pulled. Breakfast in the morning was okay; really liked the melon/pineapple chunks and the corn muffin, coffee was meh, but all was included in the room price. What was actually the best part about the Colony is the Beach Club. You can park your car for free (or take their shuttle), enjoy complimentary chairs, umbrellas, and towels on the beach, shower/change in their spotless facility - even enjoy lunch, although with so many great restaurants, why would you? I'd absolutely stay again. Staff members were friendly and helpful - front desk and breakfast crew especially.

Room Tip: Received an upgrade to Superior King. I think I might have been less happy with the Historic King t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is such a cute hotel and I would definitely stay here again.

I found it by accident doing searches for hotels in delray beach, and an advertisement came up for Historic Hotels of America (not the web page in a search for hotels, but as an ad on something like facebook). My girlfriend loves old timey things, so I checked it out and we found a fantastic deal on it. It's a classic hotel that they modernized, slightly. For example, they installed A/C in every room and in the hallways, but not in the lobby, which still relies on ceiling fans. They do still use regular keys, instead of electronic key cards, not that it matters. And the elevator was the oldest kind of elevator you can imagine - the type where you expect droopy dog to say, "your floor, sirrrrrrrr." You have to ring a bell to have the elevator come and get you. That is also not a big deal as the hotel is only 2 floors anyway, so unless you're old or have a disability, you really only need the elevator when bringing your bags to and from your room.

So, onto the rooms. We were "upgraded" to a corner queen, so our room was apparently bigger then others, but I can't be sure. The room was spacious with the brand new A/C and ceiling fans, a sizable bathroom, and a very nice bed. A little too firm for my tastes, but still got a couple of good nights sleep. If I was going to complain about one thing, it would be noise dampening - there is none. You can hear everything happening outside your room. Thankfully, you can't hear much from adjoining rooms, but then again, we were on the corner, so we only had another room on one side of us and it would have been on the other size of the bathroom. If we had another room next to the bed, it might have been just as loud as the hallway. Also, the hotel is on Atlantic Ave. We got in late enough from our activities that things were dying down a bit, which combined with the sound of the A/C meant that we weren't disturbed much by the outside noise. However, if you go in cooler weather when the A/C isn't necessary and get in before 1:00-1:30AM, then I think the sounds of people enjoying the nightlife might bother you.

The hotel offers a free continental breakfast, which I didn't try, and discounts to their weekend yoga classes held at the hotel, which I also didn't try. They have a cute patio right out front and a patio bar (again, didn't try it), but it reminds you of a hotel you might see in Miami or even Cuba (same difference, I know). But I'm thinking of one of the older places you might see in an old James Bond movie. Quaint and cute.

I suppose the best 2 parts are the location and the private beach. It's right on Atlantic Avenue, walking distance to all of the bars and restaurants around and in the Pineapple Arts district. It's not quite walking distance to the beach, though you could do it if you weren't carrying a lot. It's in the heart of everything in Delray. They also provide you with free access to their cabana club and private beach. My girlfriend and I really wanted to check out how lively the public beach was, so we never made it to their private area, but it's a very nice amenity and when we come back, I am sure we'll take advantage of it.

Finally, as for service, everyone was great. From check in to house keeping to check out, everyone was friendly and helpful. Even if I didn't want to stay here again, I am sure my girlfriend would make me. Thankfully, I liked it a lot and will probably be suggesting to her we make a return visit soon.

Room Tip: We got a corner room upgrade. Didn't provide the "great city views" like we were told...
Green Features: Very good. Very "green" with room signs and cards explaining how to help them save water and energy. Only problem would be that the hotel seems to lack a lot of good insulation, so a lot of air escapes causing the A/C to run a lot more than it probably should.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Colony Hotel and Cabana Club? Share your experiences!