“Perfect Location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Delray Beach
New Jersey
“Perfect Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a road trip to Florida. Had no reservation but found the perfect place to park for 4 days. It is not the upscale luxury of the Marriott up the street but it was perfect for us--the service, breakfast, room size and location. Parking was included! I looked forward to coming down to breakfast-which was included-every morning. There was plenty of variety to satisfy almost everyone. I could go out the door and walk up the street to the beach or down the street to shops, restaurants--everything. I cannot wait to go back

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel has things about it that are really great, and some things that are not so great. I'll address the good first.

The location is exceptional; best in Delray. While it is not technically "oceanfront," it is about a block to the beach and most of the balconies in the hotel have a great ocean view. The beautiful ocean is less than a 5-minute walk. Also, there are plenty of shops and restaurants within a 2 or 3 minute walk from the hotel. There are fine restaurants and pizza or burger joints right outside the front door (you don't need your car at this location). Right down the street are lots more cool shops and a nice museum (still in walking distance). The center of Delray is right up the street. Perfect location.

The girl who checked me in was very accommodating and friendly. The lobby is beautiful. There is limited garage parking (free), and if the garage is full, there is another free hotel parking lot right across the street (very close). There's free wi-fi in the hotel - it worked really well.

The hotel has a huge pool area that is beautiful; my room overlooked it - as do most of the balconies. (There are a couple balconies that do not face the ocean - and a few rooms with no balcony. If you want that view, be sure to request that room.) The pool is right off the breakfast area, so you can get your breakfast buffet and sit out by the pool.

My room was very clean. The bed had crisp, clean sheets, but the bed was just okay, it was firm and cushy but I have had better beds. The bathroom was wonderful; it was spotlessly clean and had a nice marble floor and the shower is all marble tile - really pretty. The sink/vanity is outside the toilet/tub area.

The breakfast in the morning was one of the best ever. There were a lot of people in there (this hotel is huge), but the food was quickly replenished and I never saw that they ran out of anything. The people running the breakfast area are super-efficient in putting out more food and keeping the tables cleaned off. It was excellent. Full buffet of eggs, all kinds of meats, breads, juice, cereals, coffee, waffles, croissants, yogurt, etc. Really 5-star breakfast!

Now on to the bad. This hotel, I think, is insanely overpriced. I would imagine that's because of the proximity to the ocean and the time of year I was here (February, where everywhere else is under snow and here it was 85-degrees!). But, still, it was way too expensive. I used my Marriott points and had to use 25,000 (again, too many). I am used to using 10,000 or at most 15,000 points. But, I wanted to stay here and was glad I did.

The room layout is not functional. It is much, much smaller than most Residence Inns. There's a full kitchen, including a stove top, and it is fully equipped with dishes, utensils, pots and pans. But, the living space was just so small (my room was a studio; other rooms may be bigger). There was only 1 queen bed, then in a little alcove there was a small pull-out couch and a cabinet with the TV. The TV was at a terrible angle. You could pull it out a little, but it wasn't angled to watch from the bed, and it was way too close to the small couch to watch from there - just very strange and small. There's also a small dining table. I would NOT recommend this type of room for more than 2 people. It would definitely be cramped for a family with 2 kids. There are king rooms, but I was told the ones they had available did not have a balcony; I wanted that balcony.

The balcony was very small but had an amazing view (see my photos). There was a cool breeze off of the ocean, which is wonderful in Florida. It's nice to sit out on the balcony at night and look at the city lights and dark ocean (there is a table and 2 chairs out there). It also overlooked the pool. It was a private balcony, but just so small and very close to another balcony. More than 2 people wouldn't be comfortable on that balcony.

Oh, one more thing that was mildly annoying; housekeeping started beating on the door by 9am! What's up with that? My friend was sleeping and housekeeping came in the room. Then, housekeeping came again at 10am; she wasn't thrilled that I was still in the room. I was checking out later on, so she should have waited until check-out time to come and clean the room. It wasn't a big deal for me, but 9am is a tad early.

For location, cleanliness, and the usual Marriott good service, this hotel is definitely a 5-star. But, for the hefty price-tag and the rooms (just too small for Residence Inn and the layout is wrong), it is a 3-star. So, that's why I gave it an overall 4-star.

I know, I know, I yab WAY too much in my descriptions - I just try and be thorough!

Room Tip: BE SURE to get a room with a balcony and ocean view (not ocean front, but you still can get a room w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Bardstown, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

The accomodations are great, the rooms are spacious and clean with nice bathrooms. There is a very nice pool in the middle of the property with lots of tables and chairs. The included breakfast was great with lots of real food. The best part about it - free parking and you can walk to the ocean, the shops and all the great places to eat in Del Ray.

Room Tip: The higher up rooms have both beach and pool view - 9th floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Walked in off the street and booked a room, very nice room with seperate lounge which they did at the normal room rate. Brilliant shower, very powerful and a large cubicle. Bed was comfortable and the location is ideal for town centre and the beach. However we were on the ground floor by the car park and at 2am they emptied the bins which seemed to take about an hour! then car horns were going off, people were shouting in the car park. Not a very good nights sleep! I did mention it to front desk when I checked out but she didn't seem bothered at all.
Breakfast was a complete free for all, self service with no where near enough tables, staff very slow to clear tables when guests left, we cleared our own as it was the only way to get one. Very disappointing for a Marriott brand, being a silver club member I expected better even for the reduced rate.

Room Tip: stay away from the ground floor!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Newton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This Hotel is a bit old, but well maintained.
The staff is professional, and friendly.
Breakfast id unspectacular, but more than adequate with a wide choice of both hot and cold choices. There are "managers's" special evenings to add to the family entertainment.

Room Tip: Try for a ocean view, and not he # 4 stack.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Key Largo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I enjoyed our stay here. It was a great location for us to walk and explore the area. Great staff, very helpful. Room a little small, but very clean. Nice balcony with view of ocean. Breakfast was one of the best that I've been to. Good ,free covered parking We will return again.

Stayed November 2012
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Why did I even bother renting a car? There is no need to go anywhere that you can't walk. The beach is 1 block away, a couple of dozen restaurants, bars, boutiques, and art galleries are all within walking distance. It was a blast staying here. The rooms are spartan and efficient...just the way I like them. I don't need 27 throw pillows and turndown service. But, I completely appreciate the full-side refrigerator with it's own ice maker. Aahh..the simple things. And, it has a microwave, 2 burner stove, and utensils, etc. Not that we used any of it, with such great eats just outside the door. The pizza place on the block is opened til the wee hours and is delicious. The breakfast is free and good, but we were there during the busy holiday week, and I will say that the New Yorkers acted like they had not been fed in weeks. The poor waitresses could not keep the food and coffee stocked. It was just too much trouble to go back a second time. The pool and hot-tub were sufficiently warm, plenty of towels, and the whole place was clean and tidy. I can't say that I really interacted much with the staff since everything went smooth and all my needs were anticipated, so I really didn't need to. Great, great, great place to stay if you have kids in tow.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Delray Beach? Share your experiences!