“Under the Radar!” 5 of 5 stars

561-266-3750
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Grove is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 359 Restaurants in Delray Beach
Cross street: 2nd Street
boca raton, florida
“Under the Radar!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This little gem in Delray is just wonderful!!! From the minute I walked in I walked in I just loved the atmosphere. It is small so you should definitely make a reservation. The menu is quite limited but my husband and I ate some superb food. For Foie Gras lovers - their appetizer - a must
I had sword fish which is not something I normally order but it was moist and very tasty.
My husband had delicious duck. All in all - though not cheap - great quality food.
We will return and bring some of our friends!!.

Boca Raton, Florida
“Another Delray hopefule”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Every time we have dinner in Delray, we are excited about trying a new restaurant, but not quite as satisfied as we want to be. Yes, I am a food snob, and The Grove sounded like my kind of place. When we finally got reservations, (it took several weeks to get them), the owner called us and was charming and friendly while confirming that we would be arriving at the reservation time. We (4 of us), all looked forward to a great dining experience. The restaurant is small, maybe 15 tables and very smart looking. Our server was on top of everything. The menu was a bit surprising; only 4 main course items were offered. We tried all of them, as well as three of the appetizers. The portions were small, which was okay, and the prices were as expected, but other than one of the appetizers, we walked away shaking our heads, as the main courses were good, but not great. Certainly the quality was there, but the flavors were bland on all of our entrees. Our bill was $300 for 4 people, and we brought our own wine. ($30 corkage fee). Sigh. Will there ever be a truly great restaurant in Delray? So far, haven't found it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ocean Ridge, Florida
“Creative Food,Poor Acoustics, Poor Kitchen Etiquette.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Heard about a new "in" restaurant in Delray Beach called the The Grove in the Pineapple Grove section of DelRray. We enjoyed the menu selections on the limited menu, service was good and the prices were a little high but consistent with the small chef owned and operated "in" type restaurants springing up everywhere.

The restaurant had an open kitchen which I was facing with interest watching the two chefs preparing each dish. The way one of the chefs prepared the different dishes was both unsanitary and professional Advised one of the owners on my way out of my concern. Open kitchens are great but you must know that customers are watching.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Michael H, Owner at The Grove, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for making us aware of the simple, yet important corrective action. It has been taken. Food safety is certainly our top priority in the kitchen for our two, well-respected chefs.
South Florida, Florida
“Limited seating and menu, but great food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

My wife and I tried The Grove for the first time last night, and we found both the food and service to be excellent, and we'll definitely be back.

The Grove, which is located in Delray's Pineapple Grove district, is very small -- there are 8 tables inside, and (I think) 4 or 5 outside. One of the inside tables is a long and narrow high top with 6 stools -- it seemed like they could replace that with two 4-person tables to accommodate more people, but maybe there isn't enough room for that. The outside tables are exposed to the elements and in particular the early evening sun, so it might be too hot out there on some summer evenings (there was no one out there last night). The decor inside is understated but very nice.

As others have noted, the menu is very limited and changes every two weeks. The current menu is posted on the restaurant's web site, so you can look before you go, and if nothing grabs you, wait a week or two and look again. The actual menu might be slightly different from the online menu, depending on availability of items -- for example, the online menu as I write this has a Caribbean Corvina entree, but the actual menu had a swordfish entree instead.

Now for the food -- for starters, my wife and I split the pork Bahn Mi Buns appetizer. We assumed this would be something like steamed dim sum pork buns, but it was actually 3 braised pork slider sandwiches with a delicious spicy mayo-like dressing (not too spicy) -- they were excellent. For entrees, we both had the Creekstone "Petite Roast" Steak, which came sliced with chimichurri and other flavors, and that was delicious too. I will say the both steaks were cooked less than we requested (my wife asked for medium and I asked for medium-well to well), but not so much that we felt the need to send them back. For dessert we split the Churros, which are so-called Spanish doughnuts (there were 4 of them), which came with very tasty spicy chocolate and vanilla creme dipping sauces.

The portion size was modest but more than adequate. In addition to what we ordered they served brioche rolls seasoned with dill, which were really tasty (and very hot when served). There was enough food so that we couldn't finish the dessert.

Overall we had a great experience. We enjoyed everything we ate and drank (we also ordered glasses of the Cabernet), and the service provided by our waitress Christine was flawless. The Grove has only been open for about 10 months, but as long as they keep doing what they're doing now, they'll be around for a long time.

When you go, make reservations well ahead of time, especially if you go on a Saturday night like we did. I had to make reservations (on OpenTable) two weeks in advance to get something between 6:30 and 7:00 (and only 6:30 was available). In season, you'll probably have to reserve even earlier.

We look forward to returning to The Grove -- maybe we'll see you there!

florida
“Fantastic gourmet restaurant in Delray”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We've eaten at The Grove on a couple of occadions. They do have a somewhat limited menu as the chef prepares what is available. Also, it's a pretty small place and I can't imagine having a million items on the menu at a 10 or 15 table place. Food is quite excellent, lots of care go into preparation. Service is attentive but not obtrusive. Wine list has a great selection of lesser known producers. Look forward to returning often.