“Comfortable Place Opposite the Beach” 3 of 5 stars

You added Dover House to your Saves list
Dover House
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   110 South Ocean Blvd, Delray Beach, FL 33483   |
Bracknell, United Kingdom
“Comfortable Place Opposite the Beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Visited Dover House Resort October 2012 after a Central America cruise. Arrived at 1pm to be told that nobody could help us till 2pm and we could not park outside without a permit (catch 22?)
We parked many streets down and walked to a restaurant. Went to ' Bostons on the Beach' and was served a quite average lunch. 6USD each for a bottle of beer !
Got our permit and moved into our accomodation. Very comfortable, with all necessary ameneties. The Resort has a very clean swimming pool and gardens full of small lizards and things that looked like earthworms, which came through the air ducts. Not harmful though.
Downtown Delray has many bars and restaurants far superior to the ones next to the resort.
We also visited Cafe Luna Rosa which was very pretentious and overpriced.
Check out of the Resort was quite scary with a leaftet warning you that you would be charged 25 usd for every 15 mins over your checkout time (10.00 am).
Overall this place was quite peaceful, except for occasional noisy kids next door. Well maintained, and clean. Staff could have been a little more pleasant, especially at checkin. Gave us a bad impression of the place right at the start.

Room Tip: Arrive after 2pm to check in.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

We exchanged our timeshare through RCI so that family members could get together for Christmas.
I booked two units at the Dover house, one for parents, and one for brother and wife from Seattle.
Check in was easy, and when the unit just below the office was not acceptable, due to the smell of being unused prior, immediately Louis, the groundskeeper who was helping, brought us back up to office to get another.
Next we went across the parking lot to unit 109, which was great.
Our second unit was 202, which was also great. Both well appointed with nice fresh towels and very clean.
Staff was accommodating when called. Had trouble accessing free wifi at first, but someone came right over to help.
Outside grounds were meticulous. Didn't have a chance to use grills, or pool, but they looked good.
Free parking is a plus as well as the proximity to Atlantic Ave, beach and all the offerings of Delray Beach!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed 6 days at this "resort". I use quotations because it is basically a motel that was renovated to not look like a motel. I shared the suite with 3 other adults. We had planned on getting a 2nd room, but due to booking last minute, we decided to share 1 suite. The best part is its location, as it's across the street from Delray Beach. You just have to cross the street and your steps away from the beach. There are crosswalks on the road which tell motorist to stop for pedestrians, but many drivers ignore the sign, so be careful. The hotel is a 1 minute walk to Atlantic Avenue, which is the heart of Delray, so going out to eat or browsing the boutiques is a breeze. The hotel's landscaping is nice and maintained on weekdays, there is free guest parking, security guards patrol the property, there are 2 bbq's which are nicely shaded, and the pool was clean, hot, private, with lots of lounge chairs, side tables, 2 patio tables with umbrellas, a shower, and his and her bathrooms.

Our 1 bedroom suite had a large master bedroom with a closet, dresser and an old TV. The kitchen included a coffee maker, mini fridge, mini freezer, stove, dishwasher and microwave. Paper towels, dish soap, dishwasher pouches, plates, cutlery, utensils and some cooking tools were provided. My only complaint about the kitchen was the very dirty/sticky cabinet doors which I dreaded touching. Our coffee maker leaked and we were given a brand new coffee maker shortly after complaining. The family room was a good size, sofas looked almost new, the dinette sat 4 comfortably, the flat screen TV was large with lots of channels, and there was a DVD player. I shared the sofa bed which was queen size and bearable in comfort. For those who like to sleep in cooler temps, the A/C was strong. The small bathroom had a nice vanity, toilet and clean tub/shower. However, the shower head was low so for those over 6 feet, you will have to bend quite a bit to wash your head. Water pressure in the shower was extremely weak. Now for the big negative! One morning, as I enter the bathroom, a cockroach pops out from behind the toilet, runs towards the vanity and goes under it. We tried killing it by using a broom, but it wouldn't come back out. Someone else saw it again but it was too quick to catch. I was the only one among the group of 4 to be bothered by this, so it wasn't reported to the office. Being a clean freak, I was traumatized by this and began to count down the days until I left this place. If not for the cockroach, my rating would have been higher. For those who value clean hotels, avoid this place at all costs. If cockroaches don't bother you, the hotel's amenities and location are great.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay here, try and get a 2nd floor suite so you can see the ocean from your windows...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My husband & I vacation 3-4 times a year, sometimes alone & sometimes with family. This trip was just my husband & I.

The good: LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!! This "resort" was within walking distance of everything great Delray Beach has to offer. It is footsteps from the beach & a short walk to many fine & casual dining facilities & really fun bars.

The ok: The units are average & adequate. No more, No less.

The bad: Nothing is provided. Nothing. Run out of toilet paper? go buy some. dishwasher detergent? paper towels? go buy them. Need a boarding pass printed? Find the library.

The Ugly: The manager Debbie's manner is HORRIFIC! Our flight arrived at 5:45 am & check in is 4pm. This is standard everywhere, but being that our flight was so early, my husband asked if there was any way to get an early check in. "absolutely not. 4pm, no exceptions" was what he was told. He said he understood that was policy, but if a room opened early or if ours could be put further up on the list that would be great. She interupted him to say that she "is the manager & WILL NOT BUDGE" A simple, "we can't promise, but will do our best" would have appeased us as it is the usual response. We are understanding well traveled people & werent asking for the moon here, a simple we will do our best goes a long way. Even at 4pm, if we felt they tried, we'd have had no complaint. Since she was so rude & unwavering, my husband called the management company who was very willing to apologise, & accomodate our request. She gave us a guaranteed 10 am check in. Far above & beyond what we were asking.

The policy book in the room is a list of "rules" & after each one states "No Exceptions" It's just so unfriendly & unwelcoming.

Although the management company made it right & the staff (other than Debbie) were great, I can't possibly bring myself to go back to a place that employs a manager so unwilling to compromise with a guest (or even pretend to). There are way too many options in South Florida which we are accustomed to staying with. This place had an opening so we gave it a try.

Ditch Debbie & we'll be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Iowa, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We are staying at the Dover House in Delray Beach for the first time. Our apartment looks good and is very livable. The kitchen has all the appliances you need. Plenty of towels, with towel exchange available Tuesday and Thursday. Our unit had very good lamps for reading, two in the living room, plus the bedside lamps are three-way. The living room and bedroom have good ceiling lights with fans. The grounds are very nice, with plantings that make it seem secluded. There is a decent pool. This is not a resort with activities and lots of amenities, but we were not interested in that. There are 2 large flat screen TVs, a very comfortable king size bed, and an amazing amount of storage space. This would do for a longer term stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

The Dover House is the darling pink, Bahamian style property on A1A at Miramar, right near Boston's. This vacation was my sixth stay at Dover and it was so unpleasant, it will be my last.

True, you can't beat the location. Although most of the rooms do not have views, it is right across the street from the ocean and a block from "the Avenue." And, yes, the rooms have been updated, although there are no exhaust fans in the bathrooms and the rooms are very dark because of low ceilings and poor lighting.

I was disappointed in the condition of the property. Outside it looks shoddy, for example: the windows were covered with grit and film, the outdoor chairs, also dirty, and there was green mold growing on the steps to the office and second floor. The worst of it was, at check in, our room had dirty floors, and hairs on the shower walls, in the tub, on the floors.

I was told the "resort" was booked full so I couldn't be moved to another room and that there would be no housekeeping staff onsite for three days. They could not give me rags, a mop, or vacuum to clean it myself. I was offered a pile of new wash clothes, and a "complimentary" cleaning when the cleaning company returned for work on Monday. I checked in on Friday, which meant staying in an unsanitary room all weekend.

The wood floors in my unit were so dirty, I cleaned them myself with a mop I had to go purchase 10 minutes outside of town. I hate housecleaning and part of the joy of a vacation for me is that I get a break from cleaning and driving.

Apparently, Dover House outsources the housekeeping. A company comes M-F. And there isn't even so much as a vacuum cleaner on site after 3 PM on Friday. Not only is it not really a "resort" but it's not really a "hotel" either. They've gone the way of vacation rentals in that there is no cleaning service on site. And the cleaning service they have is a joke.

Unless you don't mind over paying for a dark, dirty room with very little privacy, skip this resort. Try Crane's Beach House, or The Colony Club, that's where I ended up going instead. I think the days of the Dover House being well-managed are over.

Room Tip: Stay at Colony Club. You can't make any requests for rooms at this property until check in and...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Our in-laws gifted us a week at the Dover House through the family's RCI membership.

My husband and I invited my younger brother to tag along.

The Dover House was JUST as we expected. Not too big, not too small. It's located RIGHT across the street from the beach. Our 2nd floor view was stunning.

They supplied beach towels and the laundry facility was easy to use ($1.50 per machine/per cycle). We brought Tide Pods and dryer sheets and this made washing clothes a breeze.

Security patrols at night for safety and we saw him actively walking around, not just sitting like a bump on a log. The office lady was sweet. However, she was older and seemed confused about questions about technical things.

They supplied us with dish soap and 2 uses of dishwasher detergent. 2 rolls of toilet paper. Paper towels and a few garbage bags.

If visiting and planning on cooking....pack salt and pepper. We forget this.

The sofa sleeps ONE person comfortably...or maybe 2 small kids...but wouldn't sleep 2 adults unless they were seriously anorexic.

There IS an iron and a hair dryer hidden in the bedroom closet.

The jacuzzi tub in the bathroom was a nice surprise, however- the jets sprayed water everywhere. Again- could be my fault....not sure. Shower was very roomy.

Ceiling fans in the rooms were a nice touch.

Boston's on the Beach is within walking distance and if you have a smartphone- use it. You can get free drink coupons for Boston's on Yelp. Free appetizers on Facebook, etc...

There are PLENTY of nice places to eat at in this area. The grocery stores are VERY close- but NOT within walking distance.

Room Tip: They do NOT have an elevator...so you have to carry your stuff up the stairs. HOWEVER, the best vie...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Dover House? Share your experiences!