“Tropical oasis - beautiful find!” 4 of 5 stars

Sundy House
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   106 S Swinton Ave, Delray Beach, FL 33444   |
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Delray Beach
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Tropical oasis - beautiful find!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I only heard about this place because we saw a deal on Travel Zoo. I decided to surprise my husband for his first Father's Day and go to the Sunday brunch and then stay the night. Upon arrival and walking through the gardens, I saw a sign advising the pool was closed. I was soooo disappointed because this is really why I chose this place. The pool is what is what made this place so unique and beautiful. We told the lady at the front desk and she said all she could do was give us a 20% discount. This was not going to cut it as I really wanted our 1 year old to use the pool and swim with the fish. We were about to leave and were getting in our car when my husband realized how upset I was (I was also giving him a new wedding ring that day as a surprise and had it all planned out). He went back to the manager and the manager ended up offering to comp our brunch and said he would provide transportation for us to the beach. We decided to stay and I'm so glad we did. We found out the pool wasn't the only thing unique about this place. The brunch was awesome and the grounds were gorgeous the rooms were extremely clean and beautifully decorated and the bathrooms were above average and upgraded. A nice touch was the robes in the closet of the room and a golf size umbrella to use in case it rained. There was an abundance of staff and they were very helpful, management included. I even came down and picked up desserts to take up to the room which were WONDERFUL. The manager also gave my daughter milk for her bottles which was very thoughtful. The private balcony was a wonderful place to drink wine at night. We dined at the restaurant for dinner and the food was SPECTACULAR!! The pictures do not do this place justice. It is much more beautiful in person. We will definitely come back, if the pool is open again.

I only gave it a 4 because of the pool being closed (due to bad bacteria being in it as it is an all natural pool), the hostess never smiling once while we were there, the valet's lack of help to carry bags and the difficulty in finding a highchair for brunch and the continental breakfast.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
SundyHouseDB, Manager at Sundy House, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Theresa,

Thank you for your comments and for visiting the Sundy House! We are glad you had a good time during your stay. It is a one-of-a kind property in South Florida, with so much to see and experience. You are right to expect a courteous, respectful and professional staff and to enjoy all of the amenities and services that we offer, including swimming in our unique, naturalized “living” pool. That said, we do not use chemicals in our Cenote and occasionally need to assess the quality of the water to ensure our guests are safe and can enjoy the benefits of this beautiful, aquatic eco-system. We hope the compensations were met with your satisfaction and look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Went to Sundy House this morning and had the brunch. I highly recommend it. I also recommend making reservations and bringing plenty of cash or plastic with you because you're gonna need it. I see some travelers rated this place as poor well I'm here to tell you people there is nothing poor about this place. You wanna know where the rich and famous are on Sunday morning in Delray Beach well they're all here. The food was spectacular. There is something for everyone here and it is very high quality. There was so much selection I couldn't try everything. From breakfast foods to king crab legs and fresh fruit and desserts it seems never ending. You will not be disappointed here if you are a foody. Afterwards take a stroll around the tropical gardens and ponds they're beautiful. I have lived in south Florida for over 15 years and never knew this place existed. I would certainly go back for brunch and I would also recommend friends to stay at the inn here. The service was excellent but be forewarned a healthy gratuity is automatically added to your check here.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Just stayed for the one night, booked through Orbitz, so when we got to the hotel, they didn't have our reservation. They told us to go to the bar, while they worked everything out, which we did and had great service from David the bartender. They came and got us about 30 minutes later, all set to get to our room. Nice comfortable bed, but they only had a pedestal sink in the bathroom, no where to do your hair or put makeup on. All in all it was a good stay, would probably return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

The Sundy house is an excellent place for Sunday Brunch due to the amazing choices of cold and hot items. in addition the unlimited mimosa's and Bellini's are the best I've ever had. Great for families, dates, girlfriend day or just about any occasion or celebration.

Our waiter Shaun was excellent and kept our glasses full!

Room Tip: In the summer months June through August, too humid for outdoor seating. The Mediterranean room is g...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Boca Raton, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Our wedding at the Sundy House couldn't have been more perfect. The grounds are amazing and the staff from our coordinator (Tom) to our personal wedding assistant (David A.) all made the experience flawless and stress free. All of our guests said it was the most beautiful wedding they have even been to. We stayed at the cottage which I highly recommend for anyone getting married at the Sundy House. We had many guests staying on site and all of them loved the themed rooms and the service they received. Bruch the next morning was also the best brunch I have ever had. The food is above and beyond delightful. I can't say enough. This is a hidden gem in Delray. A must see for everyone.

Room Tip: Honeymoon cottage is good for a couples getaway. There is also a two bedroom house for a family tha...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
SundyHouseDB, Manager at Sundy House, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Christi
Thank you so much for your kind review and for making us part of your special day! We are glad your wedding was a success and you and your guests had a very enjoyable time. Your comments will be shared with Tom, David and our culinary team as well as the rest of the staff. Congratulations!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We attended our friends' wedding here and what a perfect spot! Beautifully romantic! Never having been to the Sundy House before, I was mesmerized by the tropical grounds! It is simply delightful there!
The staff could not have been sweeter or more accommodating from the point of placing the reservation, facilitating an early check-in, duration of our visit, wedding service/reception, right through to our early morning check-out. Perfection!
The website does not do the Sundy House justice! You must visit and experience it for yourself! And the food and drink was delicious to boot! We can't wait to get back for another romantic, relaxing weekend of our own!
Thank you for the lovely time spent at this amazing, well-hidden oasis!

Room Tip: We had a wonderful corner room with a canopied bed and balcony overlooking the pool. Very romantic...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SundyHouseDB, Manager at Sundy House, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to write a very nice review of your recent stay at The Sundy House and we thank you for your appreciation of the gardens and the service offered by our staff. We look forward to your next visit.
Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This review is for the brunch. I did see the rooms for future reference, but have yet to stay.
I went to Sundy House this past Sunday for brunch with my fiancé and his mom. It was THE best brunch I have ever gone to. Absolutely everything was amazing, from the service, to the atmosphere, to the food and drinks. I just can't say enough good things about it, and have told all my family and friends.
The buffet, I'm told, changes weekly. I was a huge fan of the seafood table which had giant crab legs (split 'easy-man's' way), shrimp cocktail, and smoked salmon. It was more like a smoked salmon bar w/ sauces, capers, red onions, fresh tomato... I went to the buffet 5 times during brunch and got the salmon 4 times. It was amazing!!
There was a cute make-your-own Bloody Mary table. I'm not a fan, but I loved the concept :) We were served bottomless mimosas and champagne at the table. Every time I came back to the table, my napkin was folded, and mimosa topped off.
Back to the buffet... There was French toast, which I didn't have, and Belgain waffles which were good. Could have been a little more crispy for my taste. Other hot dishes included chicken, mahi, breakfast potatoes, an omelette station, eggs benedict (which I had- it was good, but could have used a sauce - it could have been there and I missed it??? It's quite possible that I did as I was having buffet ADD- so many yummy things to look at and consider).
There was a salad table, which looked amazing, but I had other priorities. I don't know why the bagels were there. I saw a few people taking them SMH Buffet Rookies!! lol
The dessert table was amazing too (plate #5) I had chocolate covered strawberries, bread pudding, fresh whipped cream with berries, and a little square of carrot cake (which was the only dessert that was just ok. Was a little dry).
The brunch was about $60/pp Which I think is reasonable for what you get!!
After brunch, we were shown around the garden. There were beautiful pools with fish and turtles, and a cute gazebo. We also saw 3 of the cottages/townhouse rooms as the property was so gorgeous that I would consider staying, or having family stay there in the future.
Bottom line - it is a little pricy, but you get what you pay for. I will be back, but will likely reserve for special occasions.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
SundyHouseDB, Manager at Sundy House, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed our Sunday brunch and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Been to Sundy House? Share your experiences!