“Simply Perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Delray Beach
New York City, New York
“Simply Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Visited Sundy House for Sunday brunch based off a friend's recommendation. We weren't expecting much, but once we got there, we realized it was more than just a meal. The grounds were beautiful and it transported you to this romantic jungle environment. We were able to take walks in between our plates, and the unlimited flow of champagne was icing on the cake. The food was delicious and the seafood was fresh. The make-your-own Bloody Mary bar was a creative touch.

The main thing to note was the service. Our waiter David was extremely helpful and attentive. He went out of his way to help us document our experience with a camera and constantly topped off our drinks without asking. We've never had a friendlier waiter! This is the first review I've ever written, because I felt David deserved a spotlight for his impeccable service. It made the meal that much better.

I would highly recommend this restaurant/experience for anyone visiting Delray.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Lake Worth, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I have never gone to the extent to write a negative review before online, but after our treatment tonight by the hostess, I felt almost an obligation to report it. I would have given 5 stars to the restaurant if it weren't for our poor intro. The manager smoothed things over and accommodated us but he also, under his breath, told me that he's had similar complaints about this girl's attitude. Ok, then my thought is, WHY do you keep someone on your staff that is extremely flippant and rude to customers?? If I managed that place or any other, she would NOT have a job anymore.
We had a 7:30 reservation, with an outside table request. We were told on the phone that they don't guarantee outside tables. Understood...as I know they have limited tables outside. But when we first got there she told us we had a choice, "I can seat you outside but you'll have to deal with mosquitos, or I can seat you at a table close to the garden." I didn't answer in 1-2 seconds which was apparently too long for her because she said very flippantly "ok you're making a face, so obviously I'll seat you at the outside table." No warmth or politeness at all. I said "Well before making that decision could we see the inside table?" The whole reason I chose this place (for my birthday, mind you), was because of the beautiful tropical garden settings and the secluded tables. She said "yes, in a moment, just step aside and let me help the next people." Why, I thought? There was another hostess standing next to her...she couldn't show us now...instead of us now taking a back seat to the two parties that came in BEHIND us? Very weird way to handle that. But she did take care of the next two parties, and then our family arrived to join us.

As we were waiting off to the side per her instruction, she says from the podium...(didn't walk over to us, but loudly said this in front of the other customers), "ok folks we're seating you at an inside table. Sorry that's all we got." Very much in a tone like "deal with it." I was now pretty ticked and had had enough of her rude tone and I just said "EXCUSE me? You said there was a table for us outside when we first got here and now because we were asked to WAIT off to the side, the table is gone?" She actually denied saying there was a table outside in the first place...and that we just have to accept an inside table. "And I'll get the manager and you can talk to HIM."
I was close to turning around and walking out because of her attitude, and because she flat out lied about the availability of the tables outside and the major complaints about mosquitos, but as I mentioned the manager made sure we sat at an outside table. Incidentally there were 3 other empty 4 top tables out there and remained so throughout our dinner.
Not to focus completely on her, I will add that the manager brought us water and menus right away, apologized for our experience, and our waitress was excellent. She was friendly, knew the menu well and was attentive. The food runners were also a pleasure. My meal was incredible, pan-seared snapper with asparagus and other garden fresh veggies. My husband and cousin ordered the quail which they liked but were not overjoyed (but no fault to the chef, it was just too gamey for them. Quail is gamey!) The chicken dish my other cousin had was very tasty and to her satisfaction also. The presentation with the oversized white bowls was impressive and classy.
They brought out a birthday dessert which was delicous- a light chocolate orange mousse.
The setting was almost perfect, although I would have preferred the back garden where there was no road noise...but still the garden was beautiful, well manicured and provided enough privacy.
Overall it was a nice dining experience, but to the manager of Sundy House...get rid of hostesses that are rude to customers. They have no business working in such a nice, elegant romantic place. An unhappy customer can do a lot more to a reputation than a happy one sometimes.

Delray Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Our party of four arrived at 10:25am and we were asked to wait as they were not ready. No problem. Once our name was called at 10:35am we were told that we had 2 hours to eat and then we would have to vacate our table. I let them know in no certain terms that I thought they were rude instead of being welcoming. In fact, had we been there alone we would have walked, but we were with friends.

Let me say this, the buffet food is ok and the atmosphere outside is fine. The mimosas were
far from good. We did not eat anything close to the $58 per person. I was also disappointed that a 20% gratuity was added to the bill considering it was a buffet and all the waitress delivered was drinks. To add insult to injury, a $5 valet fee was charged by the restaurant.
My advice is find a place where they value your business.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Over on east coast for business and decided to stay in Delray Beach. Sundy House location is not the best as you're really at the far end away from the beach. However, short walk to Atlantic Ave and many restaurants. They were doing a robust dinner business when I was there ( although I had appointment out and did not get to try )and the bar scene was good with live music and 2 for 1 happy hour that lasts for four hours. Room was pretty clean although I was disappointed they've not come into modern times with bedding. They still use polyester bed spread with matching pillows and it was pretty worn and just felt yucky. The grounds are very interesting to take a stroll through and they even offer guided tours. Best part of property.
Breakfast was basic continental but adequate. So, all and all, cannot rate higher than average.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Not your typical hotel - each room unique; grounds are even more unique -consists of tropical plants, flowers. fruit trees, gazebos and ponds/waterfalls with fish and turtles. Even the swimming pools have fish in them. We reserved a 2 bedroom suite and were pleasantly surprised when we entered and found we had a 2 bedroom duplex with full kitchen, dining room, living room as well as 2 bathrooms. Patio off dining room and terrace off master bedroom that overlooked gardens. Woke up each morning to beautiful views of tropical trees. Location is ideal - 1 1/2 blocks off Atlantic Avenue and 1 mile to beach. Staff was wonderful and restaurant was very good for dinner. Only disappointment was the continental breakfast, which we wound up forgoing for breakfast in town at the Green Owl. No fitness center or kids activities, However, the 5 yr old and 2 yr old in our group loved exploring the gardens, discovering new flowers, finding turtles, and leading us through the gardens. Certainly a unique and fun experience for children.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Morehead City, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We went for a wedding on April 6th and stayed April 5 and 6. The hospitality as we checked in was superb, but the first thing we really noticed were the grounds. They were unusually lush and tropical with coral stone walkways accenting our path. Later, we discovered they have their own horticuculturalist for the grounds. The food was superb and the setting a beauty, The bathroom in our room, once the rooms were the farm's stable, we understood, were unusually spacious and well appointed. We particularly enjoyed the heated fresh water swimming pool and the small pool where one could receive a "Japanese pedicure" as the fish nibbled off the calouses of our feet.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've been dining occasionally at Sundry House for 12 years and never had a bite of food that was not delicious. We finally booked a room for a Saturday night and enjoyed the hotel. A wedding party booked all the regular rooms so they had to upgrade us to "the cottage," much to our delight. The 2 bedroom 2 bath cottage with full living room, kitchen, porch, and laundry was spectacular and very "old Florida" with antique furnishings, hardwood floors and ceilings. Some of the reviewers have complained about the age so if you expect newer style accommodations this is not for you. Kitchens and bathrooms are updated but the “old Florida” character is preserved. Staff was as good as it gets! No request fell on deaf ears....they were all enthusiastically fulfilled beyond expectations. We had a delicious Snapper entree with the Roasted and Raw Beet salad and the fabulous Corn Cake with Honey ice cream and raspberry preserves (lets you control just the right sweetness to your taste) on Saturday night that was accompanied by "5 Star Zagat service." The area that used to be the owners garage sits overlooking the beautiful gardens and fish ponds. On a beautiful night the doors are opened and the outdoors comes right into the dining rooms. The wine list is outstanding but needs a few more under $45 options. Our Domain Chandon Pinot Noir, $60, was delicious and paired well with the snapper’s seasoning. One little glitch was lack of service at the included continental breakfast. No one was servicing the area and after I toasted my bagel the coffee pot was empty. I took it to a wait staff and he did not come back for a long time. I approached him and he responded "I'm making a fresh pot." They were busy setting up for their famous "Sundy House Sunday Brunch " and a wedding party was being served in the dining room. It was a little hard to believe there was NO coffee in the hotel at 9:20 in the AM. When the coffee finally arrived my bagel was cold.

SundyHouseDB, Manager at Sundy House, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We're so pleased that you had a nice stay and enjoyed your dining experience. We thank you for your continuous support to the Sundy House and look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Been to Sundy House? Share your experiences!