“Wonderful Staff at this Cool Boutique Hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

The Seagate Hotel & Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 E. Atlantic Avenue, Delray Beach, FL 33483   |
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Delray Beach
Moorestown, New Jersey
“Wonderful Staff at this Cool Boutique Hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Our family recently stayed at the Seagate over the New Year. When we arrived at the hotel our room was not ready. We were not surprised because afterall it was the day before New Year's Eve. We took the opportunity to take a walk along Atlantic Avenue and after an hour had passed we checked back in on status of our room and it was ready. After being escorted to our room from one of the most polite bellmen, there was a knock at our door with a delivery of a good bottle of wine and 2 boxes of chocolate covered oreos for our sons with a note from the front desk apologizing for our room not being ready. We travel often and you do not see this type of treatment just anywhere. Also, with a sold out hotel of over 300 people, the bellmen knew my name! The concierges, Jose' and April were very efficient and extremely polite and eager to help us with restaurant reservations, car reservation and the printing of our boarding passes. Couldn't be nicer! Rooms are very clean and you cannot beat the location. Only downside is that we found the beach club inconvenient. If you don't mind take a shuttle or car service to the beach, this place is not for you but if you want a beautifully appointed room and top class service, the Seagate is your place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We recently spent two nights in Delray Beach at Seagate Hotel and spa. The room and bathroom were beautifully decorated and very clean. We went to the beach club on one of the days we were there and it was great! Since it wasn't over the weekend, the trolley services wasn't running, so they took us in their hotel SUV. Great service and great drinks. The hotel is also located in the heart of Delray beach, so we were able to walk to shops and restaurants within minutes. The only complaint I have is the resort fees (up to $30/night), which seems excessive when you are already paying close to $400/night. Other than that, I would highly recommend to anyone traveling to that area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The Seagate is a unique Boutique Hotel that caters to its guests. All staff is there to make your stay better. Recently we had many guests stay at the hotel for a wedding. Everybody came away saying good things. The Beach Club is fabulous and private. The rooms are large with very nice touches. The hotel is located on Atlantic Blvd which is a great street for tourists with its many restaurants and entertainment spots. If you are staying in this area, you will not find a better hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The Seagate has been open for 3 years and I have stayed there each of those 3 years for a total of ~15 nights, most recently over the holidays 2012/13. As TripAdvisor readers can see, some vistors love the hotel, others not so much. I am in the the former category. Here's why:

First, what I like: the hotel is located on Atlantic Avenue, approx. 3 blocks from the ocean. Yes, it is not on the ocean, but it is close. And the hotel itself is beautiful. It is also well maintained (with minor exceptions; see the carpets). The rooms are large and spacious, finished in the finest materials; decor is neutral tans and browns. Rooms overlooking the side streets appear to me to be larger and are definitely quieter. Rooms in the back overlook the pool but are slightly smaller. Interior courtyard rooms are the least expansive rooms available but face the parking garage. I would avoid them unless cost is an issue. The healt club overlooks the pool and is larger, newer, better equipped and cleaner than the usual of the hotel gym. The spa is nice. Bathrooms are finished in dark woods and marble, each equipped with a large soaking tub and walk-in shower. Bedrooms have flat screen TVs and a small balcony. The lobby is beautiful, with large fish tanks in various positions. On-site parking is available (~$19/night). The outdoor pool is behind the hotel and pretty and has a walk-up bar off to the side (the pool is in the shade most of the day due to surrounding palm trees). The staff is young and helpful, especially the ones that greet you in the driveway (ask them about local restaurants - they correctly steered us each night to the best dining experiences in Delray.) A Mercedes SUV is used to shuttle guests (without charge) to locations within 5 miles of the hotel. The beach club is about 1/2 mile away on the ocean. There is a shuttle that runs continuously to the beach. My family and I walked each way each day. The Beach club is beautiful and the dining pavilion is a great place to have a romantic oceanside dinner. Chaise lounge chairs and umbrellas are available. Also, chaise lounge chairs at the beach (while plentiful) are hard plastic and uncomfortable. Cabanas are $35/day.

Here is what I think needs improvement: first, house-keeping is a diaster. Some days good, other days an utter failure. Towels (actually, a luxurious brand) are in perpetual short supply. This appears to be a universal complaint. Also, the carpets do have stains that should be cleaned. The hotel needs to get its act together on this or it is going to continue to see complaints. Generally, I see no excuse for the failure of housekeeping to do its part. Extra fees are all annoying including (1) Rollaway beds which cost $30/night; (2) The resort fee is $30/day (I have never understood this fee anywhere but it is becoming common); (3) Wi-fi is $10/day in the room but free in the lobby (go figure; use the lobby network "Seagatehall"). Better yet, the hotel should drop this fee- it is annoying when you're paying $400+/night in season.

Also, some reviewers criticize the front desk. While I understand some of the complaints, in my view the front desk was always responsive and friendly. Not once did I detect any attitude or unfriendliness. The desk is young and perhaps a slight bit inexperienced but never failed to greet me with a smile. My advice, if you have a compliant, give them a chance to address it.
I am not a big fan of dog-friendly hotels due to allergies. To those sensitive to pet dander, be forewarned.

Overall, this is a very nice hotel and I plan to return there later this spring for another visit. It provides good value for the cost. All but the most cranky traveler will likely agree with me.

Room Tip: Avoid the front of the hotel (Atlantic Ave can be noisy) and the interior "courtyard rooms"...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We only spent one night here, but liked it. Everything is new and clean, and our spacious King room was well equipped and attractive. Service is a bit disorganized, but we had no problems. I liked the intimate spa, and highly recommend the gifted Jason for massage therapy. We had lunch at the Beach Club, the food being just average, but the setting and decor are really lovely, and very friendly service. Our friends in Delray recommended it, and for $350 versus $600 for the Four Seasons up the road, I think it's a good value.

Room Tip: the best are on a high floor, facing the ocean.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a trip to Delray Beach Fla which we visit 2-3 times per year. We normally stay at the Marriott located on Atlantic Ave and Ocean Blvd but they were booked from Dec 31st- January5th so we decided to try the Seagate Hotel. What a mistake!!!! First, the person at the front desk did not properly program our room keys and when we got to the room with all of our luggage ( yes all their personnel were too busy to help with our bags) we could not get into our room because the keys were not programmed properly. When we went back down to the front desk they were programmed for one entry so the second time we went to use the keys they did not work again...so back downstairs we go!
Second, the fee for the Beach Club is absurd. We never used the beach club on Monday but were still charged. On Tuesday, they did not have any seating available at the pool so we were willing to try the beach where the seating is very uncomfortable so, we left but we got charged again. We were able to get seating by the pool on Thurs and Fri which we did find enjoyable.
Third, we went to the front desk to inquire about a car service to Lake Worth and then to Palm Beach.....these idiots supply us with a taxi, driver's name was Julio, where we were charged $175.00 for a ride that should have been $100.00 or less. When I spoke to management about it there quote was "I should not have used this guy Julio as he has been banned from the property" , they booked him for me....Go figure....Think someone is getting a piece of the action? Then when I go to pay the guy he tells me he does not have change so I tell him I want to pay by credit card and he informs us he does not take credit cards even though on the side of the taxi it states American Express and Mastercard is accepted.
Fourth, the carpet in our room had more stains than not. It must have been a room that they allow dogs in as we saw wee-wee stains all over...A real first class hotel???? So they claim.
Fifth, the maid service was terrible. They did the bare minimum, they made the bed and cleaned the bathroom. Dusting, vacuuming is too much to expect. Also, too much to expect the right number of towels. We requested 4 bath towels and some hand towels on several occassions and we received 3 bath towels and no hand towels at all times. Go figure? The maids had a terrible attitude as they appeared very lazy and not at all happy working there.
Six, try calling the valet or the front desk, all you get is a recording. Why have a recording when you are a 24hr service company supplying hotel rooms?
Seven, turn down of bed is supposed to be every night but they do it every other night. One night there was a knock on our door at 10:40pm for a bed turn down service.....we were already in bed....it was getting comical as this is a poorly managed property.
Eight, it is common to see room service trays of food that the customer puts in the hallway for at least 12hrs at a time. Do you think they may have a rodent problem????
I can go on and on like no laundry bag in the room but it does get ridicules. My point is very simple to the Seagate Owners ....dummy up, as you guys are not paying attention to this property. I am a very experienced traveler having spent 105 nights in a hotel in 2012 I know what to look for. By the way, I am 50 years old and this is the first time I have ever complained about a hotel. My wife and I are easy going people, good tippers and expect good service which this place is third class at doing.
If you are going to stay in Delray Beach Fla look into the two Marriott Hotels and there is also a new Hyatt place towards the center of town. The Seagate is just not worth the money. In fact we noticed some seedy characters hanging in Delray Beach you may want to consider another area all together.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

While visiting family in DelRay Beach Fla last week (mind you crazy time to be in Florida). We spent our first 4 nights at the Seagate. Upon checking in I was not too thrilled with our introduction but later came to realize they must have been short staffed due to it being
Xmas day. As the time went on we became more familiar with the atmosphere and were treated by TOP NOTCH hotel staff. From the front desk, restaurant/cafe staff,beachclub attendants to the valet guys EVERYONE could not have been more friendly and helpful. Very lively hotel for a small hotel. Atlantic Grille was great and the late night music and outdoor scene was quite pleasant. Location was great did not need our car to get around. Between the shuttle and drivers that took us to dinner everything we needed was right there. The only negative was the "nickel and dimeing for stuff. The room rate was quite pricey + all the resort should not be charged for wifi and I thought $20 a day for parking when you are staying at the hotel was a bit much.
Would I stay there again.....ABSOLUTELY!!! Other dissapointment was the SPA, the actual treatment was good but the spa facility was quite lacking. Locker room was bare minimum no supplies and no feeling of wanting to hang around. Just get your service and leave. Also the hotel pool is 100% in the shade so there is no sun area to rest in either before or after your spa service. Would not use the spa again. Big expense for no reason

Room Tip: Spring for the larger room with a view. Except facing Atlantic Ave could be tough when the gardener...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Seagate Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!