“overrated dowdy motel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Chimney Corner Motel

Chimney Corner Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in DeLand
1941 S. Woodland Blvd., DeLand, FL 32720   |
Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in DeLand
Pensacola
“overrated dowdy motel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

This motel has been in existence for over 50 years. It still has jalousy windows in the bathroom and in rear of sleeping area, so there has been no significant structural upgrade since its original construction. The room air conditioner is underpowered, leading to a stuffy night even in mid October; would hate to stay here when it is really hot. English is not the proprietor's native language, but he can understand you if you speak slowly and await his answers. The bed was comfortable; the pillow was overstuffed, leading to a stiff sore neck in the morning. The drapes do block light and you do not hear traffic noise, so sleep is possible. Microwave and dorm refrigerator are room features although the door card poses a $4/day charge for use of either. The room seems clean but smells musty. The showerhead is 5'8" above the floor, so short folks will love it but if you're 6' or more, you will have to kneel to get your head wet. There's no shampoo but there is soap. I paid $90/day for a 3 day stay. Frankly, I was stunned by what I found after the rave reviews on TripAdvisor. There were never more than 4 or 5 cars any of the three nights that I was there. I did get mildly spooked the second night when a loud banging on my door awakened me. When I posed a challenge through the door, a woman asked me to allow her to use my cell phone so that she could summon a taxi. There is no peephole in the door, but even if there were, I would not have opened the door. She/they moved on at that point or I would have used my phone to alert law enforcement. I have every intention of avoiding this motel in the future.

Room Tip: choose another motel
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

12 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Pittsburg, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

We stayed here for a few days and the staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. Reasonably priced and the rooms were kept clean. We enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

This was my first trip to the area and was just passing by for the night. It was rather late and just needed a place to stay and was looking for something clean and reasonable. When I checked in I asked to see the room first, and to my surprise it was quite nice! The room was clean and smelled good. The rate was very reasonable so I took it for the night. I will definitely stop by on my way back through DeLand!

Room Tip: Nice
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

Friendly staff, nice place, convenience to our event and reasonable price. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Jacksonville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

This is a nice place at a reasonable price. It is well kept and the rooms are clean. Love the pool. The wifi was a plus(the hotel we stayed at the night before didn't have wifi). Exceeded my expectations. Would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2007

This property use to be exceptional. The motel's central Deland location would give it a great advantage to Stetson parents.

The room was not very clean and very run down; the carpet was dirty and the furniture in its last stage of use. The ac was noisy and the bathroom was adequate with a very small amount of mildew on the tile but still visable.

There is no breakfast, pool or or resturaunt but there is a great selection of fast food places within walking distance.

The Motel is located in a good area which makes its deteoriation seem out of character.

The owner was extremley likable but I won't be back.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Chimney Corner Motel? Share your experiences!