“Seriously good food and a very fair price.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 145 Restaurants in DeLand
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Comfortable modern look with stained floors and beautiful lighting, a great uptown feel.
Orlando, Florida
“Seriously good food and a very fair price.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Had lunch here today with my kids and a friend after touring Stetson University. Glad we came in. Byte is an upscale bistro in the historic downtown district of Deland. The menu is quite large and features what would be standard menu options with flair, however this is a menu clearly put together by a chef and not a cook.

I started with the black bean chili which could have been a meal itself. It was a significant portion of the chili loaded with black beans, andoullie sausage, garlic, and other seasonings. This was a masterpiece and just a beautifully seasoned dish. If it would have come with white rice, I'd have been done for the day. It was that good.

Next up were my mahi fish tacos. Again, another masterful dish. Both tacos had large seasoned mahi fillets in flour tortillas with lettuce, tomato, black beans, cheese and a touch of aioli. There was also some homemade orange marmalade on the side and homemade sweet potato fires. Although I'm not a fan of orange marmalade, I tried it and it was really good, tasting more like apricot preserves. Very surprised and the marmalade really provided a nice complement to the fish tacos. The sweet potato fries were perfect. Just a great meal all around.

My daughter devoured her Caesar salad. My son was blown away by the fish and chips, which came out topped with a butter caper sauce, commenting that this was the best fish and chips he'd ever had. From my son, that's saying something.

For the 4 of us, including drinks and tip, lunch was less than $50. Service was excellent and we never had to ask for drink refills. I honestly think Byte is one of the best restaurants in Central Florida and a hidden gem; an exceptional value for the money. Will be back for sure.

My daughter had a

• 5 of 5 stars Food

The Villages, Florida
“It's Ok.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Four of us went here for a late lunch on a Wednesday afternoon. We had viewed the menu online before going and were excited to try some of the interesting selections. Everything sounded so good, but we were not impressed with the actual products. We had the chicken and brie sandwiches, the roast beef with au jus, the apple fennel slaw, and the green beans with lemon and dill butter. They were out of croissants, so substituted brioche. The fig-rhubarb jam on the chicken-brie sandwich was undetectable; the brioche was actually a plain hamburger bun, the green beans were fresh but not flavorable, the slaw is actually thin apple slices. The roast beef was very good. So for the most part the meals were ok, but disappointing. On the positive side, the service was excellent, the decor understated and very pleasing, and the prices very reasonable.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
“A Rare find in Deland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

This modernized and upbeat restaurant is a must for many to experience. It's not only pleasing to the eye but pleasing to the palette. Their arrangements of ingredients, awakens the palette, from their appetizers, main course, desserts, and fine wines. With that said, their service is impeccable! Jason was tentative and made sure everything was to our liking.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
DeLand, Florida
“Delicious & Relaxing Luncheon Meeting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I recently had the privilege of sitting in on a business luncheon held in the upper room of Byte. Our selections for the lunch were somewhat limited. I tried the "Martha's Vineyard" salad, which consisted of Grilled Chicken Breast, Dried Cherries, Gorgonzola, Walnuts, Tomato, Cucumber, Red Leaf Mix, with Housemade Balsamic dressing. The salad filled the large dinner plate, and was absolutely delicious, with just the right amount of dressing (typically I like a lot of dressing). The upper room was modern and sleek, with a separate bar area with stools, and doors that opened onto a covered balcony. Based on this visit, I would eat definitely at this restaurant in the main dining room.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Top Chef comes to DeLand”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I had never heard of half the things the chefs on Top Chef made when I first started watching. Now I know what they all are but Ive never had any opportunity to experience them. Until now. The amount of mouth watering meals on the menu at Byte makes it hard to decide what to try first! Im so lucky to live a few blocks away to be able to try so many great dishes! Ive had the Fried Green Tomato BLT, the Byte Reuben, and the grilled chicken sandwich (with fig rhubarb jam!) just to name a few favorites. Everything is so delicious. The interior is very upscale, inviting and relaxing. The staff are very friendly. Ive met both the owners, and they are friendly and welcoming, very gracious hosts. I had heard that the food was on the pricey side, but on the contrary I find them very reasonable for the quality of food served. I highly recommend this restaurant!

• 5 of 5 stars Food