“Baffled” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 145 Restaurants in DeLand
Cuisines: Chinese
“Baffled”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

I went to won lees expecting a decent meal based on reviews and was baffled at the food. Every item had the same gelatinous goo with meat and veggies added. The wonton soup tasted like beef broth and was horrible. The service was nice and the price was ridiculously cheap so at least I didn't waste a bunch of money. I will not return as I did not find the food to be edible.

DeLand, Florida
“Great value, clean, good food & service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Had the family meal for 3 with choice of different entrees for each person. Food was tasty & server was attentive. Very generous servings. Glass of wine under $3...whoopee!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Port Orange, Florida
“Disappointing, dissatisfying, and disgusting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Had never been here in 8 years of living in Deland after having heard from multiple people that not only is there better Chinese food around, but that this is some of the worst in town. Well, in search of something for lunch late this morning and open to something new, I decided to bite the bullet and try it. While the dirt-cheap prices ($4.60 for a lunch combo) scared me a bit - I mean, how do you put out high-quality, well-cooked food for that price? - I decided to try it.

Well, the general tso's chicken and rice was absolutely disgusting. The chicken was tough, chewy, and fatty, and the sauce had a bland flavor yet a thick, sticky, and otherwise gross texture. The rice seemed like it has been "fried" by being doused in oil, not actually cooked.

All in all, I now know why my friends told me not to go and wish I had listened. On the bright side, at least this horrible dining experience only cost me $5. Now, here's to hoping I don't get sick.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Chinese food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I was with a group of 15 people who had lunch at Won Lee's Chinese Restaurant. They have a luncheon menu (dinner is served in the late afternoon) The most expensive entree was $4.60. I had their Sweet and Sour Chicken with fried rice and egg drop soup which was very tasty for $4.40 plus 29 cents FL tax. Initially we were severed hot tea then the entree. There was a lot of chicken. I probably shouldn't have eaten all of it but I did. Many people asked for a take-out box. Service was good. We had a group reservation so we were in a separate room.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Deltona, Florida
“Best Chinese Food Around!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We actually picked up our Christmas Dinner here on Christmas Eve. We had the Pork Fried Rice, Beef Lo Mein, BBQ Beef, Krab Rangoon, S&S Chicken, Boneless Ribs, Egg Rolls and Egg Foo Young. (And 4doz fortune cookies!)

I have to say that of all of the Chinese Restaurants I have been to since I moved here from Massachusetts in '91, this one takes the fortune cookie!

Everything tasted just like it should. Nothing was dry or overdone - not over sauced or over salted. Marinated just right. The gentleman who took our order was as pleasant as could be, offering every bit of advise on how to reheat the food for the next day so it would be its best. He explained that they are the only place left who makes the food authentically the way it is done in New York. They even gave us an entire bag of sauces and soy sauce to make sure we had enough.

I found the price quite comparable to the other Chinese places around here. I live in Deltona, but I will be sure to make the trek past downtown Deland from now on to get food worth eating. The Boneless Ribs were my favorite, next to the Pork Fried Rice. These ribs you will not find in any other place... guaranteed. We ate one order on our way home!

Please make it a point to give this place a try if you haven't already. They have been here since I moved here and we used to go all of the time when we first came. It is just as good as ever!

Thank you Won Lee's for making our Christmas Dinner scrumptious!

• Visited December 2012