“An experience I will never forget” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 76 things to do in DeLand
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Stetson Mansion is a spectacular Victorian mansion built for famed hat maker and philanthropist John B Stetson in 1886. Situated right between Orlando and Daytona in DeLand makes it convenient for all visiting the central Florida area. This is Florida's first luxury estate and houses some of the most beautiful and intricate parquet floors in the world. The mansion has hosted such noted guests as President Cleveland, King Edward VII, the Astors, the Vanderbilts, Louis C Tiffany and Thomas Edison. In fact this is one of the first homes in the world to be designed and built with Edison electricity and Mr Edison oversaw the install himself. This is not your typical Victorian mansion though. The owners have painstakingly renovated every square inch of the 10,000 sq foot masterpiece while incorporating today's modern conveniences. All this was done without compromising the architectural or historical integrity. Every room on every one of the three floors is magnificently decorated and every room features a different style floor and window design. There is not one room that is off limits for visitors to see on their guided tour, you get to see it all including the owner's suite and the original 1886 schoolhouse which has been lovingly restored and converted to a "Zen"like cottage. There is also a beautiful meditation garden, gazebo and pool area for visitors to enjoy. Reservations are required $20-$30 per person $10 for children. Payment is cash or check at the door and we do charge applicable sales tax.
Daytona Beach, Florida
“An experience I will never forget”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

In December my boyfriend came to visit me from California and told me about the Stetson Mansion. I had never heard of the place but I love historic buildings and I was extremely excited to go check it out. I looked it up online before we went because I was curious and the website said that it's one of Florida's best kept secrets, after our visit I can honestly say, I couln't agree more! The property is absolutely gorgeous and the architeture was even more stunning. The property was bulit in 1886 and still has it's original wood floors!!! The owners of the Mansion, JT and Michael were on site to give the tour personally! It was an amazing experience not only for the visual aspect but also because of the love and devotion borth Micheal and JT have for the Mansion. It blew me away to learn of the blood, sweat, and tears, that went into bringing the Mansion back to life. It was just as amazing to hear of the history and to learn that Thomas Edison was a close friend of Stetson's and provided the electricity, of which an original light bulb still burns! To top off the whole experience, my boyfriend proposed to me on the tour in the Peacock room. We soon learned that we were the first proposal to ever happen on site. I couldn't have asked for a more romantic and warming atmoshphere for such a life changing moment! The Christmas decorations made me feel like I was in a different world. I definitely recommend this tour to everyone who enjoys history, architeture or even just interior design. The changes and personal touches that Michael and JT have added to the Mansion will truly astound you. This mansion will forever be a part my histroy now and I couldn't be happier. My fiance and I will actullay be seeing if we can go back and take some of our engagement photos there. The staff/owners were so accomodating and truly made the whole experience an unforgetable one. Don't miss out on Florida's best kept secret!!

JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
I will always remember this night because it was the first proposal ever at the Stetson Mansion and we were all so excited for both of you! Your review was so incredibly sincere and detailed and it is so nice to see a young couple that loves history and beautiful architecture as much as we do. The history of the mansion is a constant source of inspiration for Michael and I, John B Stetson, President Cleveland, King Edward VII and so on. How could we not be inspired and grateful for this amazing opportunity to be part of preserving and sharing this piece of Americana with so many from around the world. Thank you so much for allowing us to be part of your exciting new journey and for taking the time to detail your experience with everyone else!! Have a happy and abundant life!!

DeLand, Florida, United States
“History Buff and HUGE FAN”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I was Campaigning for a friend in the area in Nov. and happened upon the mansion while JT was decorating for Christmas. He was reluctant to let me see, but he finally let us into the front room. I was immediately smitten with the Mansion. I returned 12/28 as an Event DJ and was invited to attend a tour the next day. I was HOOKED ! ! ! Huge Fan, love every room. Who knows, you might even see me wandering the halls from time to time in the future.

JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Andy your enthusiasm and love of history is contagious and Michael and I look forward to welcoming you and all your guests to the Stetson Mansion in 2013! Thank you so much for your top rated review!
The Villages, Florida
“A delightful outing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The mansion is truly spectacular and the lively and funny owners/tour guides make for a truly delightful tour. Highly recommended but do be prepared for stairs.

Visited January 2013
JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Michael and I love this place!! Our tours are filled with just as much excitement and enthusiasm now as they were 10,000 visitors ago because we love to share the grandeur, history and magic of Florida's first luxury estate. As I have often said, we get to see the mansion for the first time all over again through everyone else's eyes! Thank you for allowing us to do so and for sharing your experience with everyone..very much appreciated!!
Québec city area
46 attraction reviews
“Much attention to decorations and renovations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Reviews on Trip Advisor are confirmed. The guide who came with his group added us to his group (20$ apiece). We took are chances but it is much better to reserve. From what we experienced with their reservation system (email or phone) good luck! This place seems geared to group tours, weddings and other events. It appears that persons who come to the door may be admitted IF there is a scheduled group AND there is room to add more people. Well worth the money because of the informed, friendly and organized tour guide. You have to appreciate that the owners (at least of them) lives in the house and opens it all up for tours. Those interested in decorating and such will savor the many innovations and clever adaptations. Hats off to these people for care in furnishing the mansion and for honestly pointing out what is real from what has been added.

Visited January 2013
JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for your visit to the Stetson Mansion. We do require that all tours be booked in advance because this is our home as well as a Nationally Historic property. That is why all our lieterature, media, brochures as well as the Stetson Mansion website state that very clearly. Sorry if you felt inconvenienced but I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us.
The Villages, Florida, United States
4 attraction reviews
“Christmas Fantasy in Florida”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

What a totally magical place - especially at Christmastime! The decorations on the first floor were like entering a holiday fantasy, with sight, sound, and scent included. We went with friends and enjoyed our experience immensely. The owners, JT and Michael, are so gracious and personable, and you can just feel how much they love sharing the story of their home's renovation. Although many of the improvements are modern, they only help to emphasize the glorious historical architecture of the house. How fortunate this house was to fall into the hands of men who really appreciate it!

JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank you Kathleen! Christmas definitely adds another level of magic to the mansion's allure! I recently finished putting away all the Christmas decorations after almost 3 months, and I feel like I am in another mansion! The detailing of the windows, floors and woodworking really catch my attention. I get to experience the beauty all over again!! I am still in awe of this place even after 7 years! Thank you so much for your feedback and top rating!!