“It used to be sooo good!” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 145 Restaurants in DeLand
Cuisines: German
florida
“It used to be sooo good!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We hadn't been to Emmy's in awhile and it has always been great. Waiting for a table is to be expected as the place is small. Part of it's charm. Emmy herself will greet you and she is a lovely person. She doesn't like her customers to wait and she will do all she can to get you a table which she did. But I think that was part of the problem. I do believe we were an extra table for our waitress. I asked her if they had German Kabinett wine after all they are a German restaurant. She looked at me as if I had grown two heads! She brought bread with no plates. Still ok. When we placed our order, my daughter asked for Rahm sauce with her pork schnitzel and again the two heads! They are known for their Prime Rib and of course that is what I ordered. I was only able to take two bites. It was tough! The waitress didn't ask me if I wanted another piece but did ask if I wanted something else. She said she would let Emmy know and I figured Emmy would soon be visiting our table. Never saw her. I will say their homemade Vegetable Beef soup was excellent which is what I ended up eating that night with the cold bread that the waitress brought when I asked for more.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Polk City, Florida
“Great food in huge quantities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We got all excited when we saw Rouladen on the menu, but then noticed that was only served on Wednesday -- German Night. Seemed odd that only one night was German Night at a Germa-American restaurant, but on the advice of our server we went with Schnitzel -- Weiner and Jager. I had the latter, and it was wonderful. Preceded with vegetable beef soup, accompanied with red cabbage and some delicious potato-something, washed down with Warsteiner beer. It doesn't get much better than this.

Visited September 2012
Winchester, Virginia
“Food is great, authentic...atmosphere, not so much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Locals suggested this place off the beaten path. If you like German food (REAL German food) then this is a very good place to go. But make sure you know, you are going for the food, NOT the ambiance. The portions are big. So you will have enough for another meal. But the desserts are limited to one dish, dirt, a combination of whipped cream and Oreos served in a mini flower pot. Not what you would expect from a German restaurant. No strudel, no pastries. Also, no German beer. BUT THE FOOD WAS REALLY GOOD.

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“Emmy is the attraction!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Meeting Emmy was great! We chatted and found a commonality in she being from Heidelberg and we had lived in Kaiserslautern/Ramstein Germany at the same time. That ended the pluses! I suppose our first mistake was to go on 'German night,' which is held once a month. These nights include a live bad playing German music and Polish polka music. This would not too bad if you're not seated in front of band. However throughout the entire small restaurant, they provide clackers (wooden wands that drunks and children can try to keep beat with the music)! So be prepared to leave with a massive headache!

Foodwise, we were both disappointed in our entrees. We both ordered schnitzel; wife the veal Jagerschnitzel, myself pork schnitzel). Both were overcooked and very tough to chew. Portions were so large that doggy bags are mandatory unless you are a HUGE eater. Meals come with soup and choice of salad contents (all pickeled).

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Love Emmy AND her tavern/restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

We love to go to Emmy's Time Out Tavern whenever we are in Deland!
Emmy makes you feel "at home"; wait staffers are all great!
We have enjoyed all of the food selections we have ever tried there, but I
must admit we DO have our favorites and seem to order them repeatedly
on our visits. I love the weinerschnitzel and my equal half enjoys the
German pork shank! Soup, salad and bread offered BEFORE your
main entrees are wonderful also!

• Visited May 2012