“Ran out of Everything” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
DeBary, Florida, United States
“Ran out of Everything”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Ordered crab, ran out. Ordered shrimp boiled. Ran out. Ran out of potato salad. Just not very organized. They did better as the small restaurant they started out to be. Can't seem to handle having a bigger space with more people ordering. Its a shame.

“Pretty Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Last week we visited Deland Fish House which has been taken over by new owners.
We were craving the traditional British fish n chips and were delighted they served it.
After only a 10 minute wait our plates came out with fresh and hot fried fish and french fries along with cole slaw,onion rings, and hush puppies. The meal was quite tasty and the price was very reasonable.
Our server was very polite, efficient and knowledgeable. After we finished our meal I asked the waiter what kind of fish it was we ate and he said Vietnamese Swai which is similar to catfish.
Most British and Irish pubs use Pollack,Cod and Haddock as their choice of fish when making fish n chips.
Recently I saw a documentary on food safety and remember that Vietnamese Swai was mostly from the Mekong River area of southeast Asia and that body of water is highly polluted. With that said I will order a different type of fish next time I visit Deland Fish House because they have a number of different species to choose from. And I WILL be going back!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Orlando, Florida
“Casual atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Recommended by the hotel staff. Casual atmosphere. Fish market/restaurant design. Could use some updating. Plenty of food on your plate for the money.

Visited July 2012
Daytona Beach, Florida
“Highly Recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My girlfriend and I wanted seafood but wanted to try something different than the typical chains. Found this little place on 92 and we were very happy. I had mahi-mahi tacos and my girlfriend had a steam pot type thing - shrimp, crab, corn, etc. The mahi tacos were cooked perfectly and seasoned the way I like it - blackened with a little kick. My girlfriend liked the seasoning on her meal also. We had good, friendly service and the owner even stopped by our table to check on our meal. Desserts are limited but we were so full it didn't matter. Grabbed a couple of cookies to go and I might go back just to get more of those - never heard of the company but it was somebody local and they were great. Bottom-line - it isn't fancy but we had good food at a very reasonable price. We will definitely be going back.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, FL
“Pretty good, but could use a few tweaks.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

This place caught our eye as we were driving by, so we decided to give them a go. The decor and atmosphere is casual and fish-oriented, nothing fancy but that's okay. We were seated promptly, and the server got our drink order immediately. They do not serve mixed drinks here, just wine and beer.

Our food seemed to take a bit longer than expected to arrive, and some of the items on my plate were not super hot. I ordered blackened mahi mahi, but it was not prepared as I would have expected. Normally the blackening spice is seared onto the meat in a very hot buttery pan, and the butter makes it succulent and tasty. This mahi was blackened by simply sprinkling some seasoning on the top, and that was it--resulting in an overly spicy, somewhat dry fish.

On the plus side, the onion rings were delicious, and the fried okra was good, although not exceptional. The hush puppies were good, and for dessert, the cakes were all good. (note: they offer only cake for dessert)

Other reviews have mentioned that the restaurant was unclean, but I did not find that to be so. Also, our server was Gina, and she was excellent. I would go back, but would not go out of my way or recommend it highly.

• 3 of 5 stars Food