“Nice place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Avalon by EVRentals

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Deerfield Beach
Avalon by EVRentals
You added Avalon by EVRentals to your Saves list
735 S. A1A, Deerfield Beach, FL 33441   |
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Deerfield Beach
Dearborn, Michigan
“Nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We have stayed at the Avalon every year for 12 years. It has gotten a lot nicer. They are very nice rooms, ours was newly redone. With a ocean view right across the street, we love it. You can walk right across to the beach, it's hard to beat.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
new orleans, louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I hate to have to write a not so great review of the Avalon resort. However, I feel compelled to do so, since my stay got off to a very rocky start. It is on a very rare occasion that I will write a review that isn't good to great. BTW: What makes me credible as a hotel reviewer? I have a Master of Science in Hotel and Tourism Management from the University of New Orleans. Both I and New Orleans knows hospitality.

1. First off, I read the review about the remodeling, painting, new furniture, and no more plastic plants. I called to confirm that this was the case. I even asked if all of the rooms had been remodeled and was told that they were.
2. After driving 900 miles by myself, I arrived in Deerfield and the Avalon at 1:15PM. My first thoughts upon entering the office: "so much for the plastic flowers", they were everywhere, cheap plastic poinsettias. As I walked into the lobby (which is nothing more than an entrance to foyer with a chest high counter between you and the front desk person. I looked to the left and there was a whole room full of cheap silk and dried flowers. There were so many another small business may have been run out of this particular room. It iis Florida. Any type of flowers or greenery will grow there. Fake flowers are just cheap and tacky.
3. The office needs to be cleaned out and all the paper clutter gives off a bad impression. In the hospitality industry we call it "the moment of truth" when someone arrives at their destination and that person gets their first impression of a hotel or restaurant. "The moment of truth" can be good or bad depending on that person's expectations and perceptions. There is only one "moment of truth" that cannot be reversed. Unfortunately, my "moment of truth" with the Avalon Resort was not good.
3. My "moment of truth" was an immediate disappointment, because I was met with plastic flowers, a cluttered office, and an older woman named Kim, whose first words spoken to me was "You Are WAYYY Early". My reply: " I would'nt say, "way" early at 1:15 PM" . How about saying something like "did you just drive in from New Orleans? That is a really long drive. I am not sure if your room is ready, but I will check. If it's not ready, maybe you could take a walk on the beach or go to lunch and it will be ready upon your return. Why don't I go ahead and check you in, that way you will be good to go when you return."
4. Kim immediately said my room was not ready and the only way for her to give me a room was to switch it to a room that I was not originally assigned. I mentioned that the person on the phone and the tripadvisor ad said all the rooms had been remodeled with new carpet, new granite countertops and had new furniture. Her reply, "well, we try to put a new piece of furniture in every year, the carpet was replaced three years ago, and that they loved to decorate" with silk and dried flowers.
5. I asked if I could see the room first and this made the woman down right angry. I have played many a dog and pony show where the front desk person takes a disliking to you and he or she will end up giving you the worst room in the house. Especially, if the room is booked through Hotwire or RCI. We walked into the one bedroom and I was bombarded with some kind of floral bouquet that I later found out was 2 aroma therapy plug ins. The smell was overwhelming making me think they were trying to mask the smell of the unit. I asked her about a balcony room (again she gave me attitude) and she showed me the worst room ever, it obviously was not even in use, since the refrigerator was unplugged and there nothing new in the room. I mean nothing! I told her I would take the other room. Also, each time she showed me a room, she would not get on the elevator with me and told me to ride up and she would meet me there. Strange.
6 By this time I was having an anxiety attack because my vacation had just taken me in the wrong direction. I called RCI and unfortunately they could not book me anywhere else in the area. . The customer service rep asked me what was going on and I told her "the lady and I were still not communicating". While I was on the phone with RCI, Kim stated that "you came in here and demanded new furniture". Trust me I never demanded anything.
7. Once I got into the room, it was indeed large, but there was not a dishwasher and I don't like to do dishes on vacation. The kitchen table and chairs were the metal type that one would play a game of cards on. The living room furniture was nice and there was a HDTV that does not have HD, only basic cable. Plus I was never given the code for the internet and since the front desk lady was so rude, I was afraid to go down and ask.
8. Now, just a couple of more gripes before I get to the "good". The pool was supposed to be heated, but it was cold my entire stay. I also did not care for having to go to the office everyday to get beach towels (a mixed matched assortment, where most were just old bathroom towels, not big enough to cover you up when you get out of the water at the end of November,).
9. The bed was awful. The pillows were not good either. They were so flat that I hurt my neck, shoulder, and upper arm due to problems with my cervical spine. It may take months to heal. Yes, I awoke to a stiff neck from that bed and flat pillows.
10. Did they really need to put up Christmas lights all over the compound. They should have used the money to put some plants in some pots.
11. Now the good. Close to deerfield beach, boca raton beach, and ft. lauderdale. The weather wad decent and the water was still warm enough to get in the ocean. Any colder and the ocean would have been be too cold for me.
12. I tried to stay away from the front desk for the rest of my visit. Overall, I had a good time despite the rocky beginning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We just stayed at the Avalon (August 2012) and had to add some comments. The pool deck and all walkways were recently redone in a beautiful, non-slippery marble. Everything has been repainted both inside and out and there is all new carpet in all rooms. All the one bedrooms have new furniture that is very pretty, soft and comfy. The building is old but well maintained and immaculate. The pool is small but clean and updated. The plastic flowers are gone. There is a nice putt putt golf area and picnic tables with new gas grills in the back. Bikes are available for free. We stayed in a very spacious one bedroom on the second floor that was quiet and had a lovely view of plants and trees out the living and bedroom windows. The kitchen had new granite countertops and modern metal tile backsplash. All rooms have a full, well furnished kitchen. The bath also had a new granite countertop and nice fixtures. Don't expect to be staying at a luxury resort, but this is a bargain. It is a few steps from a terrific beach and there are restaurants and activities galore within a very short drive.

Room Tip: Large one bedroom/2 bath is Ok for small families as they are spacious and have pull out sofa. Effi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Larchmont, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

We just got back from a short stay at the Avalon in Deerfield Beach. We booked here because we had an RCI coupon that was going to expire, so this was the best we could find before our kids went back to school.

Although the room was clean, the hotel was generally old (50's), run down and decrepit. Clearly, it needs to be knocked down or a complete gut renovation. The carpets were stained; the paint job was awful; the drains were clogged; there was an odor in the room; and everything was just old, rusty and nasty.

Oh and the pool: once again, clean, but I've seen bigger hot tubs... And get this: the garden had plastic flowers! Actually, old plastic flowers that were starting to wilt or melt.....

During our stay, only three or four rooms in the whole place were occupied. Apparently, everybody else got the memo. Why didn't we?

When we got there, the first thing my wife and I did was scour the place for vermin--my wife had a prior incident in another RCI property -- but thankfully the Avalon was OK (as I said, it was clean!). We then gave careful consideration to moving to another hotel. But we ultimately decided to stay and make the best of it, using this hotel as a subject lesson for our kids before going back to school -- If you don't work hard in school and get good grades and go to college, this is where you going to vacation when you grow up.... Good lesson; and they heard it loud and clear.

On a positive note, we enjoyed Deerfield Beach. Great beach, nice people, good restaurants -- especially the Mona Lisa Cafe, which was the best! We would return to Deerfield Beach, but not the Avalon.

And RCI, what a waste!! Absolutely never again!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
bobo77bobo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

My son and I had a studio for one week in March 2009. I didn't know what to expect other than previous reviews on the internet. We had room K3 on the second level tucked in the corner of the building. The building is fairly old on the outside but is well maintained. The studio itself was very nice and comfortable. It appeared to have been recently renovated. The paint was off white and light and airy. The furnishings were tasteful and nothing was broken. The carpet was light and very clean. There was a fan in the living area and kitchen. The bathtub/shower looked brand new and the water pressure was great. The kitchen was adequate if you plan on cooking which I did. The refrigerator was small but worked fine. You have to fill the ice trays with water. There was an assortement of pots and pans for cooking and plates and bowls. I never had a problem getting more paper towels, toilet paper, etc...I would keep the door open once in awhile and a wonderful breeze would circulate from the kitchen window throughout the studio. The beach was one block away but you have to cross a busy two lane road called S. Ocean Drive or the A1A. The walk along the beach to the Deerfield beach pier is about 3/4 of a mile. The beach front is well maintained and thoroughly enjoyable to walk, sit on benches, and get a tan on the sand. I would definately stay at the Avalon again. I would upgrade to a one bedroom for more room but the studio was fine for two people.

• Stayed March 2009

Been to Avalon by EVRentals? Share your experiences!